The Film Directors Superhero Movie Haters Club

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It's possible to enjoy a Michelin star meal as well as a chippy tea. Some people think all their meals should be Michelin star, or gourmet world cuisine, when really a kebab is also really enjoyable. It is possible to have a varied pallet. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

43 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Great the way this topic suddenly became a Marvel love-in. Actually quite fitting to the point I've been making.

Yeah, really puts the thinking that Marvel fans are super precious about their preferred children/family film to bed. 

Mate, my fav film of the year is Dune. Pretty sure that did almost exactly the same at the box office than the Marvel films this year, the difference being it didn't seem like it was made out of churned bodies to be force fed to the populace.

Edit: It's pretty interesting how that did so well, I definitely think Covid weirdly helped it and it came out just as cinemas were really opening again and people had a bit of a craving for some sci-fi. I'm not sure it would have done so well under normal conditions.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it’s more telling that some people are pretentious snobs against anything popular because it’s cool to take it to “the man”. 

Who's behaving like that in this thread?

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Mate, my fav film of the year is Dune. Pretty sure that did almost exactly the same at the box office than the Marvel films this year, the difference being it didn't seem like it was made out of churned bodies to be force fed to the populace.

Edit: It's pretty interesting how that did so well, I definitely think Covid weirdly helped it and it came out just as cinemas were really opening again and people had a bit of a craving for some sci-fi. I'm not sure it would have done so well under normal conditions.

It had Big Dave in it. That'll be the reason. People probably thought it was GOTG 3.

• Paid Members

I don't mind the film's as a casual fan, I've only seen two MCU ones in Ant-Man which I enjoyed and Doctor Strange which was the worst pile of shite I've seen in years, but I watched a few batman and superman ones too and some of the older marvel stuff.

For me it's just impossible to escape them these days, they do feel like the only films I've heard anything about for years with the exception of the new bond and that one where Hannibal Lecturer had altzimers, but that ones probably only because of someone on twitter I follow talking about it.

The second issue is that with some people it's impossible to criticize them, they are amazing and wonderful and if you don't enjoy them you must be a pretentious arse "sticking it to the man" or a weirdo filmaphobe like Michael Owen.

Take Watchmen, it's enjoyable enough but it's a terribly bloated mess as a film yet some people at the time (and to this day) say it's the best film ever made because they like the comic and can't divorce the two.

21 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

The second issue is that with some people it's impossible to criticize them, they are amazing and wonderful and if you don't enjoy them you must be a pretentious arse "sticking it to the man" or a weirdo filmaphobe like Michael Owen.

Whereas I’m sure that happens, it certainly hasn’t and doesn’t happen on here. I mean, if liking something popular is frowned upon, I’m sure nobody would crow about their wrestling show getting more viewers than a different wrestling show. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I don't mind the film's as a casual fan, I've only seen two MCU ones in Ant-Man which I enjoyed and Doctor Strange which was the worst pile of shite I've seen in years, but I watched a few batman and superman ones too and some of the older marvel stuff.

For me it's just impossible to escape them these days, they do feel like the only films I've heard anything about for years with the exception of the new bond and that one where Hannibal Lecturer had altzimers, but that ones probably only because of someone on twitter I follow talking about it.

Take Watchmen, it's enjoyable enough but it's a terribly bloated mess as a film yet some people at the time (and to this day) say it's the best film ever made because they like the comic and can't divorce the two.

It’s not impossible to criticise them if you watch them. But people critiquing them usually haven’t. They just don’t like superhero films. And plenty are formulaic. You have ones like Winter Soldier or Guardians or Black Panther or Spiderverse which all do things differently whilst feeling familiar. But most Marvel films you know what you’re getting. Most Marvel fans I know feel there is too much now, especially with the D+ shows as well. But I can’t say The Last Dual is shit because I’ve not seen it. I could probably judge it by the trailer but I’d rather judge it after watching.

As an aside, most DC films are fucking awful. So I’m not tied to the genre. But there’s a difference between writing off films because their made by a company you don’t like and don’t watch them and and watching them and not liking them.

Im also still waiting to hear which blockbuster/popcorn films flopped because of a competing against a Marvel film.

• Paid Members

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Im also still waiting to hear which blockbuster/popcorn films flopped because of a competing against a Marvel film.

I'm still waiting to hear who's pretentious against anything popular.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm still waiting to hear who's pretentious against anything popular.

I asked first. But you’ve accused Disney of not promoting Fox Searchlight films (but they did). You hate anything to do with Disney and some of it, entirely justified. But no other studio is putting stuff out that would keep cinemas in business. There needs to be room for theme park ride movies and art house fare. The argument they are killing cinema is lazy because they are keeping the doors open. If your only cinema has 3 screens, I get it. But that’s not the case for most places. The French Dispatch was on one of the smallest screens at my multiplex opening weekend. But there were 5 people on a Saturday night watching it. That’s not keeping cinema alive. The 500 people watching Venom 2 in the next screen are though.