The Film Directors Superhero Movie Haters Club

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, really puts the thinking that Marvel fans are super precious about their preferred children/family film to bed. 

At least we aren’t Star Wars.

18 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's possible to enjoy a Michelin star meal as well as a chippy tea. Some people think all their meals should be Michelin star, or gourmet world cuisine, when really a kebab is also really enjoyable. It is possible to have a varied pallet. 

Congratulations on introducing something even more divisive than Marvel into this thread.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

They're a generation that simultaneously have the shortest attention span imaginable, so easily distracted by shiny things on their phone, yet who also watch nothing but three hour superhero movies. Quite an achievement.

He's not saying they have a short attention span. He's saying they don't want to be challenged through art. They just want to be told what to think on Twitter.

I love how Ridley doesn't give a shit. That Maron interview is really good. Ridley fucking loves Ridley films.

By the way, THE LAST DUEL was great. If you haven't see it, check it out. Matt Damon is superb in it.

• Paid Members
Just now, Factotum said:

Ridley fucking loves Ridley films.

Which says a lot, because he’s not made a great movie in years, so now we know his target audience is himself*

*Watching The Last Dual next month and think House of Gucci could be great. But when was his last great film?

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Which says a lot, because he’s not made a great movie in years, so now we know his target audience is himself*

*Watching The Last Dual next month and think House of Gucci could be great. But when was his last great film?

He's made The Martian and The Last Duel in the last five years, two excellent movies.

Look, I'm not Scott's biggest fan. He's had a disappointing career for anyone whose first three films were The Duellists, Blade Runner and Alien. But there's a germ of truth to what he's saying. Films like The Last Duel can't exist on the big screen anymore, their future is on streaming and the reason for that is because audiences have become conditioned to expect a certain experience from big budget Hollywood movies.

I think it was a mistake to release The Last Duel at the cinema considering what it was up against but the simplification of what he's saying is a pretty egregious dumbing down of his point.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He's made The Martian and The Last Duel in the last five years, two excellent movies.

Look, I'm not Scott's biggest fan. He's had a disappointing career for anyone whose first three films were The Duellists, Blade Runner and Alien. But there's a germ of truth to what he's saying. Films like The Last Duel can't exist on the big screen anymore, their future is on streaming and the reason for that is because audiences have become conditioned to expect a certain experience from big budget Hollywood movies.

I think it was a mistake to release The Last Duel at the cinema considering what it was up against but the simplification of what he's saying is a pretty egregious dumbing down of his point.

Why? The Martian was very successful at the box office, actually his biggest film at the box office. At the same time, Blade Runner is one of his biggest flops. I don't think people go to see a Ridley Scott film, they go and see a film based on the trailers/promotional material. There are very few directors that I would go and see based on their name. Wes Anderson is one, he has a style and type. Ridley Scott I don't think does.

Also, films set in medieval times are a hard sell and often flop. His Robin Hood, the Tarron Egerton Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven, King Arthur, all released after 00's and set in that time and all pretty much flop. It goes back to what people are interested in, and the popular choices right now are not period pieces, they are car stunts, IP's and comic book films. There are room for these films, and audiences will go, but they won't be the most popular choice unless you cast The Rock or Timothee. Damon, Affleck are not the stars they were 10 years ago. I think you have overly simplified the argument. Most film fans don't watch just one genre, so the conditioning is nonsense. Making films that appeal to an older demographic is the issue.  

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I haven’t seen The Last Duel but I know it’s better than a Marvel film. 

I’d be interested to hear your views on it if you do, as someone who’s clued into issues around sexual assault your thoughts on how the event that brings about the duel is depicted would be an insightful read. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Is it possible that this is less about how audiences expect certain things from movies at the cinema, and more a point in support of the earlier argument that Marvel et al are pushing what would have once been other major releases toward the margins?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Making films that appeal to an older demographic is the issue.  

There are have been plenty of films appealing to an older demographic released this year. Nobody's gone to see them.

But I'm not going to keep repeating myself with you because I'm not going to be called a liar again by you as I'm not going to play the tedious game of feeding your apologism. Go and talk to someone else.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

They're a generation that simultaneously have the shortest attention span imaginable, so easily distracted by shiny things on their phone, yet who also watch nothing but three hour superhero movies. Quite an achievement.

Or four hours if it’s a Synder Cut.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There are have been plenty of films appealing to an older demographic released this year. Nobody's gone to see them.

But I'm not going to keep repeating myself with you because I'm not going to be called a liar again by you as I'm not going to play the tedious game of feeding your apologism. Go and talk to someone else.

Biggest non Chinese film this year was James Bond, that famous franchise aimed at t’youths. 

What was The Last Dual opening against? Halloween Kills and 2nd week of Bond, 3rd of Venom. It had plenty of time to be released around smaller fils, it didn’t. So why don’t you moan at the studios for setting release dates. And why don’t you actually offer any proof of your claims. 3rd time now. I ask you, because you’re not stupid, you’re normally quite methodical with things. But it appears much easier to just say BUT SUPERHERO FILMS INIT then try and look at the reasons these films aren’t doing well.

F134FC4C-0077-4AD6-B876-4BD88ED51E78.png