The Film Directors Superhero Movie Haters Club

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What is this shite?

It's par for the course with me isn't it? 

To be honest I was interested in some of the least respected films from a critical perspective of the writing, filming and such as a general point of interest, if it's an issue please disregard with my apologies. 

11 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I rewatched Master and Commander at the weekend. Proper bloody film that. If there was any justice in this world there would be 10 Master and Commander films instead of 700 Marvel films. 

Sorry, I know this isn't on the original topic, but why didn't they make more? There is loads of source material, and the film was very well received.

I assume it didn't make the required bank and that was why?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry, I know this isn't on the original topic, but why didn't they make more? There is loads of source material, and the film was very well received.

I assume it didn't make the required bank and that was why?

Just had a look. Cost $150m and made $213m. Needed $450m to break even.

But 20th Century have announced there is a prequel being developed back in June. Wonder if Ridley or Jane are available as we know what they won’t be directing.

Nice to see some Master And Commander love.

As I have defended Ridley in this thread quite a bit, for balance let me just say that his constant banging on about Deckard being a replicant in BLADE RUNNER continues to annoy the fuck out of me. Way to misunderstand the best scene in the film.

• Moderators
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It’s a good interview, but I’ve taken his comments here:

What is your take on the criticism of superhero movies by directors such as Martin Scorsese and Ridley Scott? HoggyBear

I’ve got nothing against superhero movies. I’ve been in a couple and they definitely have a place. The problem is that the system that allows eight people to own half of the wealth in the world enhances the power of the market forces, so small and independent cinemas rarely exist any more outside a few big cities. There’s no distribution channels for all the mid-budget films that have the best actors, the best writing, because they can’t throw up $3m for a marketing campaign. When cinemas let them in, they do so for one week and if it doesn’t pay off in a week, they’re gone.

Remember that The Godfather first opened in 100 cinemas in the United States – big films now open in 4,000. They had small ads in the New York Times, but it grew and grew because it was such a good film. The people’s opinion has no chance any more. And that is sad.

I think that we should have Marvel films and more rollercoaster films. We should have other films, too. And that’s the sad thing: when raw market forces come in, studios start being run by companies that don’t care if they’re dealing in films or toothpaste so long as they get their 10% [return]. When AT&T took over Time Warner, it immediately told HBO to become lighter and more commercial. They were always making money. But not enough for an investor.