Banned ideas

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I don't know if this still happens in WWE as I've not watched properly in a few years, but my most hated trope other than challenger beats champion in non-title match was somebody getting a title shot just by virtue of them interrupting the champs promo. You could have Ziggler lose every match for months on end but he's suddenly getting a World title shot at the next PPV because he interrupted McIntyres promo? Load of bollocks.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

If I ever start watching wrestling again, which is unlikely due to my issues with the fans and the production, I'd love to see an authority figure who just turns up to make matches and stipulations.

No feuds or stories involving them and no wrestlers booking thier own matches, just someone in a suit making the matches and driving forward other stories as nothing more than a MacGuffin. 

AEW currently do it where the commentators will reference "Tony Khan has just announced..." to set up matches which I think works well. Fans know there is definitely a real person in authority who is reacting to the events of the show and booking matches/stipulations accordingly but is never (or very rarely) actually seen on screen. Works pretty perfectly, I think.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

AEW currently do it where the commentators will reference "Tony Khan has just announced..." to set up matches which I think works well. Fans know there is definitely a real person in authority who is reacting to the events of the show and booking matches/stipulations accordingly but is never (or very rarely) actually seen on screen. Works pretty perfectly, I think.

Finally someone who agrees with me that WWE need to bring back the auspicious office of President Jack Tunney.

The winner of the Royal Rumble getting a title shot at Wrestlemania. You know pretty much who is going to win. So its really just counting down the entrants.

Why not use it to strap a rocket to someone or better yet, stop taking it so seriously. The Rumble could be their big fun event - the random participants, old timers hell even celebs (keeps them from stinking up real matches). The Rumble is after all not about how well you can wrestle, its how you can throw someone over a top rope. It should be played for fun as anyone can win (like Hacksaw and Studd). 

If you want to do a winner challenges for Wrestlemania - let them win a King of the Ring tournament. At least it seems fairly believable that they would be a challenger for the title if they've actually wrestled 

Wrestlers wearing their own t-shirts! Just fucking stop it. Like a walking ad for the WWE Shop. Bring back the days of Arn Anderson wearing a v-neck and the Warrior in a leather jacket.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Wrestlers wearing their own t-shirts! Just fucking stop it. Like a walking ad for the WWE Shop. Bring back the days of Arn Anderson wearing a v-neck and the Warrior in a leather jacket.

The jumping the shark one of these was Bray Wyatt, back when it was still quite a fresh, new gimmick. Instantly killing the sense of him as an unknowable enigma who lives in some weird swamp compound with his cult followers by having him show up in his own branded T-shirt, presumably having had it ordered to the spooky compound's PO Box. 

On the Rumble, since they've gone to two World Titles and not consistently stuck to the Rumble winner getting the actual main event slot, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have used it to launch a surprise winner one year. Hell, if they want to give it to a nostalgia entry or someone they don't want in a title match at 'Mania, there's several times they've done the "putting the title shot on the line at the February PPV" angle, so they could do that and have the winner actually lose their spot to set up something else if need be.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Loki said:

I would ban any sort of plancha for good.  If I never see a wrestler launch themselves over the top rope to an obviously waiting opponent I'd be happy.  Not only is it completely overdone (multiple times per match per card) but it also goes wrong far too often and can injure both wrestlers.  I'd include going through the ropes, that's even more error prone.

Its also one of those moves that doesn't look that spectacular to the non-trained wrestler, thus making it entirely pointless when you consider risk/reward.

For me its any variation of TNA's old Lockdown, WWE's Elimination Chamber or Hell in a Cell. Matches like that should only be used when a feud warrants it, not just because its a particular calendar month.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The Reverend said:

The winner of the Royal Rumble getting a title shot at Wrestlemania. You know pretty much who is going to win. So its really just counting down the entrants.

Why not use it to strap a rocket to someone or better yet, stop taking it so seriously. The Rumble could be their big fun event - the random participants, old timers hell even celebs (keeps them from stinking up real matches). The Rumble is after all not about how well you can wrestle, its how you can throw someone over a top rope. It should be played for fun as anyone can win (like Hacksaw and Studd). 

If you want to do a winner challenges for Wrestlemania - let them win a King of the Ring tournament. At least it seems fairly believable that they would be a challenger for the title if they've actually wrestled 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

On the Rumble, since they've gone to two World Titles and not consistently stuck to the Rumble winner getting the actual main event slot, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have used it to launch a surprise winner one year. Hell, if they want to give it to a nostalgia entry or someone they don't want in a title match at 'Mania, there's several times they've done the "putting the title shot on the line at the February PPV" angle, so they could do that and have the winner actually lose their spot to set up something else if need be.

I think they have done a few winners in recent years that weren't the "expected" option. I don't know if Edge, Shinsuke Nakamura, or even Randy Orton in 2017 were shoe-in winners beforehand. They do have a habit of telegraphing it, but those weren't nailed on choices in those examples. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more random winners (Santino in 2011 seemed like a big wasted opportunity), but I don't know that they have always necessarily made it overly obvious who would be getting the win.  

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Roy said:

I guess if the example is more about two singles wrestlers being tag champs and not liking one another, you could go with Michaels & Austin beating Bulldog & Owen for the tag team titles in 1997. Not sure if the intention was to build to something, but plans changed within a month once Michaels and Bret Hart had their (legitimate) fight backstage.

Yeah and that led to Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin at King Of The Ring a few weeks later so it’s right in line with and another example of what Dopper was talking about. But yeah, it was originally supposed to be Bret vs Shawn at KOTR. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

The jumping the shark one of these was Bray Wyatt, back when it was still quite a fresh, new gimmick. Instantly killing the sense of him as an unknowable enigma who lives in some weird swamp compound with his cult followers by having him show up in his own branded T-shirt, presumably having had it ordered to the spooky compound's PO Box. 

I believe he queued up at the merch stand in the arena before the show.

Evil GM's. Especially the current pair we have on WWE TV. Are they supposed to be the representation of Vince, just pissing on wrestlers careers because they have some authority? It was done well, once, in 99 and been shit ever since.