Banned ideas

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

What are ideas from fans or even promotions that you would like to see hoofed into a big black hole?

I'd go with the suggestion that anyone ever forms a Four Horsemen style stable. It was done to death before WCW died and the corpse has been fucked since. No, stop it. No suits. No Ole Anderson role. No fingers.

The whole "wrestler A should get serious" thing. I thought this might be a thing of the past but I've read the NXT results the last two weeks and both times, the guy has said it about Cameron Grimes. This idea that a suit will transform a guy into a main eventer is worse than the trunks/tights thing. We all know about wrestlers in suits. If they're not Wardlow, they wear it worse than @John Matrix!

• Paid Members

Matches where a Wrestler A has to beat the champion to face the champion again for the title. It's a specifically lazy WWE-centric problem, but it always feels so inorganic. 

Ladder matches.  Done to death in recent years, and if not banning them, I would at least give them a rest for a bit. See also Hell in a Cell.  Speaking of which, PPVs themed around a match type. No thank you. 

I'm sure I'll have others if I give it some thought.

I would ban any sort of plancha for good.  If I never see a wrestler launch themselves over the top rope to an obviously waiting opponent I'd be happy.  Not only is it completely overdone (multiple times per match per card) but it also goes wrong far too often and can injure both wrestlers.  I'd include going through the ropes, that's even more error prone.

• Paid Members

I'm sure I have hundreds of these, but the most obvious is Money In The Bank, and any variation on that magic briefcase gimmick. A load of other companies started doing it because WWE did it, and it's just lazy booking to have a panic "surprise" button or a way to make someone champion without investing in actually building them up. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Ladder matches.  Done to death in recent years, and if not banning them, I would at least give them a rest for a bit.

Absolutely. I realised during some SummerSlam recaps that Rock/HHH was only the third ladder match on TV at that point, after the two HBK/Razor ones, or fourth if you count Bret/HBK on the Smack 'em, Whack 'em tape. That's 3 in 4 years. They seem to do that in a month now.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

I'm sure I have hundreds of these, but the most obvious is Money In The Bank, and any variation on that magic briefcase gimmick. A load of other companies started doing it because WWE did it, and it's just lazy booking to have a panic "surprise" button or a way to make someone champion without investing in actually building them up. 

Yep. this came up recently, I think, probably after the PPV of the same name. It absolutely kills any creativity. It's the laziest of their lazy go tos IMO.

Two rivals's heading in to a big PPV singles match team up to beat the Tag Team Champions.

The earliest time I can remember that happening was Cena & Michaels going in to WM23, and MVP & Matt Hardy did it later that year. Cena & Miz did it going in to WM27, there have been others.

Sacrificing one of your champions to build heat in somebody else's angle is silly. They do it regularly with the Women's Titles too.  

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, dopper said:

Two rivals's heading in to a big PPV singles match team up to beat the Tag Team Champions.

The earliest time I can remember that happening was Cena & Michaels going in to WM23, and MVP & Matt Hardy did it later that year. Cena & Miz did it going in to WM27, there have been others.

Sacrificing one of your champions to build heat in somebody else's angle is silly. They do it regularly with the Women's Titles too.  

Goes back much further. Taker and Austin in the build to Summerslam 1998 is the earliest I can recall, but there are probably other examples. Totally agree though, it's massively overplayed as a lazy trope to build to a PPV. 

Edited by mim731

20 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Goes back much further. Taker and Austin in the build to Summerslam 1998 is the earliest I can recall, but there are probably other examples. Totally agree though, it's massively overplayed as a lazy trope to build to a PPV. 

I guess if the example is more about two singles wrestlers being tag champs and not liking one another, you could go with Michaels & Austin beating Bulldog & Owen for the tag team titles in 1997. Not sure if the intention was to build to something, but plans changed within a month once Michaels and Bret Hart had their (legitimate) fight backstage.

A bad guy authority figure. It's been done to death and makes no sense logically. Is the aim of the authority figure not to make money etc., or get big ratings, for their show? So why do they do everything possible to pee off fan favourites. It's daft!

It made sense with Austin/McMahon as it felt an organic clash but it's been done to death since then and is just lazy! 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, kieranjennings said:

A bad guy authority figure. It's been done to death and makes no sense logically. Is the aim of the authority figure not to make money etc., or get big ratings, for their show? So why do they do everything possible to pee off fan favourites. It's daft!

This is why Dario Cueto from Lucha Underground was my favourite authority figure in wrestling. He was neither heel or babyface really, he was just a bit of an evil bastard who loved violence, fighting and putting on a crazy show so booked the matches accordingly. He would sometimes put babyfaces in positions where they were outnumbered or in peril but it was mainly because he thought it would be the most exciting or bloody thing to give the fans, make money and to amuse himself rather than some weird nonsensical feud with any of the wrestlers.

As for banned ideas- BAN KENDO STICKS! They are shit and unless your Steve Blackman no one looks like they even know how to use them. Also with other usual weapons (chairs, ladders, tables etc) there's some kind of logic to why they are under the ring or within the ringside area. But why the fuck are multiple Japanese practice swords made of bamboo always under the ring? And if you wanted to plant a weapon to use why would it be a kendo stick and not a fucking metal pipe, hammer, baseball bat or anything else easily accessible? I hate them so much.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

If I ever start watching wrestling again, which is unlikely due to my issues with the fans and the production, I'd love to see an authority figure who just turns up to make matches and stipulations.

No feuds or stories involving them and no wrestlers booking thier own matches, just someone in a suit making the matches and driving forward other stories as nothing more than a MacGuffin.