Interactions with other wrestling fans

CL Punk

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

It’s pretty weird thinking but I’ve actually encountered the inverse - at an unreserved seating show I unwittingly sat next to Lana Austin and she started talking to me with “Do you like T-Bone? I’m his girlfriend.” Looking back, I never think about the time I sat with “T-Bones girlfriend.”

Where does this bollocks come from and why is it always churned out? I’m the biggest dork you’ll ever find and I’ve been with mrs raid for 2 1/2 years.

spacer.png

UKFF a forum for like-minded wrestling fans to discuss and debate their love of pro wrestling.  The UKFF also a place where every wrestling fan thinks that every other wrestling fan is a massive virgin weirdo who lives in his/her parents basement.  You couldn't make this shit up!

21 hours ago, air_raid said:

It’s pretty weird thinking but I’ve actually encountered the inverse - at an unreserved seating show I unwittingly sat next to Lana Austin and she started talking to me with “Do you like T-Bone? I’m his girlfriend.” Looking back, I never think about the time I sat with “T-Bones girlfriend.”

Given some of the fans Lana Austin seems to attract (I'm particularly thinking of one, think @BomberPat would probably know the one I mean) I wouldn't be surprised if she feels like she has to say something similar now as a defence mechanism. Hoping that's not the case though. 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:21 PM, air_raid said:

Where does this bollocks come from and why is it always churned out? I’m the biggest dork you’ll ever find and I’ve been with mrs raid for 2 1/2 years.

I think it's just the nerd/geek/fan stereotype, Raid.

But then again, I've seen people live up to that stereotype at shows, signings and conventions.

• Paid Members

My weirdo memory in play again: I remember a while back some now long-banned poster kicking off and calling Devon something like that, and somebody else just shot it down with the response of "But he's a father of nine!"

I didn't realise they were exaggerating at the time, and thought D-Mal was some top Mormon shagger or something.

• Paid Members

Most wrestling fans are fine, because they are just normal people who happen to like wrestling. I mean I hate them like I hate nearly everyone, but that's because they are people and I'm a weirdo, not because they are a wrestling fan.

The issue are those aren't the ones who are most noticeable, 99% of fans aren't what you'll notice or remember, it's the slightly awkward or odd small minority who stand out. 

Those are the ones chanting Yes down the isle of Asda because someone at the till has a Bryan shirt on, they are the ones doing live commentary for all the other fans at a show sat in thier section weather they want it or not, they are the cockends taking shite loudly in the queue or pub so everyone knows how smart they are or what britwres backstage scoops they have.

Now I'm sure you get that sort of thing in lots of fields of sport and entertainment but just less noticeable. In part I think that's because wrestling does attract that slightly awkward geeky type (not that that's everyone but it certainly is a noticeable number of adult fans)

Secondly I think that's because for that minority they are a niche within a niche, wrestling isn't really mainstream cool so to be the small minority within that means they stand out more than they should to the rest of the group who are ready a bit self conscious of non wrestling fans checking if they know it's not real or asking why they like a kids show.

And ultimately for those people wrestling promotes you should join in, it's the panto in pants so everyone sort of rolls back and goes with it. For that small group they don't know how to switch it off and assume it's perfectly acceptable to interact with people outside a show like they would during a show booing and cheering and chanting. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

The good ol’, “Every wrestling fan’s a sweaty, non-functioning, virgin nerd. Apart from me of course” pejorative.

To be fair that accurately described me for the majority of my hardcore wrestling fandom.