Best entrance sets

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Great entrance sets are largely neglected in the current era but they did so much to boost a show in days gone by.

Personally I have so much love for the Wrestlemania 8 set which was recycled for a couple of years on Wrestling Challenge.

DTOsKAXXkAEcQ68.jpg

That said, there was nothing more iconic than the simplistic WWF logo setup, later added to with what we'd consider now to be a pretty basic video wall.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 17.19.51.png

• Paid Members

Have we not had this thread running quite recently? Either way I assume someone will be in shortly touting the merits of the massively overrated Backlash 2000 set. 

From my own perspective the classic Nitro entrance takes some beating. 

WCW-Nitro-set-youtube.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chili said:

But take a bow Halloween Havoc 1998. What a beauty.

That giant inflatable pumpkin was on ebay not long back, it was a barn find / warehouse salvage if I remember right. 

I always loved Rumble 2000. Given how little they had to work with at MSG running with that layout they put out a fantastic set. 

• Paid Members

Just run the trailer for Revenge. WCW cornered the market for fantastic PPV sets at a time when every WWF PPV apart from In Your House looked the same (and seven In Your House a year all looked the same). Kevin Nash once said words to the effect of “you didn’t know what year it was watching our show” because of how stagnant Nitros booking became, but on the PPV you damn sure knew what month it was.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I always loved Rumble 2000. Given how little they had to work with at MSG running with that layout they put out a fantastic set. 

There were a couple with the old MSG set up that I actually really liked. The WrestleMania X one with the big sliding X was basic but looked good. And I’ve always been fond of the SummerSlam 98 ‘gates of hell’ set;

C618-BE70-1-FFE-40-DD-B4-F7-02-D7-AD8-FE

Some of the WCW ones were class though. Halloween Havoc, Bash At The Beach, even NWO Souled Out in 97;

27-F590-AC-F3-FC-4-B7-A-B033-9-F738-E3-C

598168-B9-6-FF0-4-C6-A-860-E-E8-EB93-B61

The show itself was a bit crap but the presentation and how the arena looked was nicely done. 

• Awards Moderator

My go-to answer for this is usually the classic SmackDown sets.

I like the earliest version because it reminds me of the first SmackDown game and the opening video you got when you started it up.

WWE Smackdown doesn't need a brand; it needs a reason for being

This is probably not accurate and just something I headcanoned, I really liked how they retired this set by having Rhyno Gore Jericho through it, and then produced this one, which I like because it reminds me of the SmackDown games when you could climb up it then jump off.

A fistful of classic Smackdown set photos | WWE

Having such a different set to Raw made Smackers feel so much more like its own thing in the early years of the brand extension.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

15 hours ago, Chili said:

Sure they couldn't time the show to save their lives. But take a bow Halloween Havoc 1998. What a beauty.

Eric Bischoff Reacts to WWE Reviving Halloween Havoc in NXT

Pro Wrestling Meets Halloween: Let's Revisit the Top Five Moments from  WCW's "Halloween Havoc" Events! - Bloody Disgusting

My first thought reading the topic title was this entrance set, absolutely loved it 

everything from the pumpkin to the small graves either side and the large graves with the screens on, my idea of the best entrance set.

9 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:This is probably not accurate and just something I headcanoned, I really liked how they retired this set by having Rhyno Gore Jericho through it, and then produced this one

See I always saw it as this too, but have never read it anywhere, so wasn’t sure if it was just something that I’d come up with myself.

My answer is definitely Wrestlemania 33:

spacer.png

I don't have a picture to upload, but I remember WrestleMania X7 was the first time I ever watched a show, saw the set and thought, "Whoa!" It was just so fucking huge compared to the standards of the time.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a fondness for the small entrance they used for Rumble 98 and Mania 14. Minimalist, but worked with the lighting and felt pretty cool.

WCW > WWE when it comes to sets. The original Nitro set had a big-time superstar feel and when wrestlers were interviewed by Mean Gene there it felt significant. As mentioned, Halloween Havoc is iconic.

I know the HD era has to happen to keep the product fresh but it really kills the buzz when they've got the same old shit.

I also loved the gritty ECW brick set - fits the product perfectly.