The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

It's a weird one with Bruce. I'm openly not a fan but he'd shown that otherworldly gift that Pardew also had, to get the players behind him just enough that when the pressure was properly on, they'd put in the graft to keep him in a job. Obviously he was on the way out this time the second the keys were handed over.

Depending on what you read he's either 6 or 8 million quid richer today. He's taken some dogs abuse to get it though.

Performance wise, a bit like his mate in Manchester, he clearly had very little clue what he was actually doing, beside being vaguely avuncular. He's taken no responsibility for the performance of the players, gotten involved in petty fueds with the local press and despite what his pundit mates would tell you, actually received better financial backing than his predecessor.

Like @PunkStep, I'm not comfortable with the personal nature of some of the criticism but I've been unable to take him seriously since a pod cast bought up his resemblance to Brenda Fricker in Home Alone 2.

I'm glad that Bruce is (finally) gone, because Newcastle have played their worst ever football under him. Some of the abuse has been a bit much and he's been forced to feel the wrath of a heirachy that was happy to remain in the shadows, but the performances simply haven't been good enough and the team has gotten steadily worse under him, despite investment. 

Curious to see who we'll go for now. We need to start winning some fucking games and quick. 

Probably worth reminding everyone that Steve Bruce was employed, at Sheffield Wednesday, when he sent his agent to sound out the Newcastle job despite the risk and reputation surrounding it. This was a job from which he had been given compassionate leave prior to actually starting in order to allow him to recover from medical work, which he used to go and watch the cricket in Barbados while his long-term assistant Steve Agnew took temporary charge. Bruce paid this good faith back by resigning from the Wednesday job in an attempt to subvert compensation rules so that Mike Ashley wouldn't have to fork out millions to have him in charge. All a fortnight before the season began, after multiple signings had been made by his team.

I don't wish him ill will, but he knew full well what he was getting into when he went to the SportsDirect.Com Arena @ St James' SportsDirect Park, so all this crying over how poorly he's been treated is a bit much for me.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s almost like there’s a secret British managers club sent in to the same pool of teams to destroy and exit before one of the other members swoops in. 

Someone had better warn Mr. Ferna-n-de-ez

• Awards Moderator

My Facebook memories just reminded me I went to Stirling a decade ago and that a reconstruction of Robert the Bruce looks like Steve Bruce.

893EA099-057F-4A24-8D78-29DC9B987EA0.jpeg.934612d0e8e8f4231dc52ba67db01aa6.jpeg

Also, fuck him. He played the same game with us as he played with Sheff Wed, and is a proper shithouse landlord trying to evict single mums during a pandemic. Gobshite. I hope someone installs a hundred mirrors in his house as punishment.