The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Club for a Fiver pisses on it to be honest. 

Although Graham Taylor was a true and real class act. Him having a crack at people in the crowd for racism was ace. 

That's another great documentary. I must say "and you can bring your dinner" at no one in particular a hundred times a year. 

I think my favourite of all those 90s docs is Hoddle at Swindon purely for him absolutely mugging off John Moncur in training.

"Don't mind that" 😂

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I know. Whenever I watch it I almost want England to win.

Probably what cost him the England job sadly. Be too nice. Can you imagine any other England manager doing that? Venables probably would have.

RIP Walter Smith. Absolute legend.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

11 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Probably what cost him the England job sadly.

I think it might have been the results, personally. He really did have such an impact on English football, practically revolutionary when it came to tactics. 

• Paid Members

The doc is great and I think Taylor is a fantastic guy but he picked some bloody awful players and teams. The style of play wasn't particularly suited to international football but you'd say that about Denmark at the time, I think. He was unlucky in that it was a real transitional period and some top players were injured or coming to a natural end for England though. Someone probably needed to be the fall guy after Robson in order for the next guy to progress.

All in all, a bit inevitable. Very few highlights of that reign. The really good home win against Poland is about all that comes to mind. That game in Holland was easily one of the best performances. Fucking Koeman.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

but he picked some bloody awful players and teams

I know he had a couple of major issues (Lineker retiring, Shearer suffering a big injury and Gazza being at his lowest), but you're totally right. His squads included Neil Webb, Tony Daley, Tony Dorigo, Stuart Ripley, Andy Sinton, Carlton Palmer, Nigel Cough. He persisted with Chris Woods over Seaman for so long. Des Walker turned to shit for England at the time, too. United and Arsenal had brilliant well-drilled defences, didn't capitalise on that enough. The loss of Shearer and Lineker wasn't an excuse thinking about it, as they had a wealth of brilliant strikers at their disposal at the time.

And the football was shite. He was certainly revolutionary at Watford but at England it was turgid, with Charles Hughes' grubby little fingers all over the style of play. Fucking rancid, and it has taken England a couple of decades to truly recover from that.

• Paid Members

I spend a lot of time reviewing Taylor’s England and he was really hard done by re: players. Gascoigne had serious injuries and got himself suspended for the vital Holland game. Barnes had a serious injury that he never really recovered from. He got hardly any games out of Shearer before a season-ending injury that took him out for most of the qualifying campaign. Stuart Pearce broke his leg three games after being named captain and was out for key games. Tony Adams went to prison. Mark Wright missed games with injury. Des Walker went from awesome for Forest to a forlorn sub at Sampdoria losing both pace and confidence (especially evident in giving away the penalty to Marc Overmars in the Dutch game and being culpable for Norways first in that defeat). Sharpey would have been in with a shout for left wing but missed the start of 92-93 with meningitis and lost his place in the Man Utd team to Giggs. Taylor was never able to pick the team he wanted and most crucially never had a settled defence. Three right backs went down with injury in the build to Sweden 92 and he had to call up Keith Curle as a stand in. His luck was bloody awful.

However, he also ignored the form of Chris Waddle for Wednesday which was frankly astonishing.

52 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

And the football was shite. He was certainly revolutionary at Watford but at England it was turgid

It was turgid at Watford! What was revolutionary was the tactics suited to what he had to play with. 

The Fiver had a nice Walter Smith tribute. 

WALTER SMITH 1948-2021

One of football’s most dependable white knights has dismounted his charger for the final time. Walter Smith: now there was a man you’d be happy to see galloping into view when things were in danger of going a sour way out. Take Rangers, who he calmly steered to silverware after Graeme Souness left for Liverpool during the 1990-91 title run-in. Or Scotland, for whom he picked up the very many small pieces left behind by Berti Vogts, the team rising 70-odd spots in the rankings in short order, with the Kirin Cup thrown in. Or Rangers again, whisking them from Paul Le Guen to the Euro Vase final in less than 16 months. As speedy base-metal-to-gold transformations go, that registers a full 10 on the Fiver’s patented and fully trademarked Tuchelometer.

Smith, who has died at the age of 73, was an old-school diplomat, not past delivering a brisk clip around the lug for the purposes of speedy philosophical resolution. He didn’t suffer foolish questions gladly, as poor Chick Young famously discovered when he found himself on the receiving end of that low-volume two-minute seethe, the most intense and frankly worrying kind of seethe, Archie Knox providing light and shade with a beat-perfect comic cameo. And yet he kept it all in perspective, thick as thieves with his mid-90s Old Firm adversary Tommy Burns, getting his pal in to assist with the Scotland gig, and helping carry his coffin when he passed in 2008. Good luck finding someone with a bad word.

The Everton years didn’t quite go to plan, fair enough, but the club was a basket case at the time (behave) with the fixtures, fittings and Duncan Ferguson being sold from under his feet and, in any case, upon leaving he insisted on helping chairman Bill Kenwright source his replacement, and the David Moyes era wasn’t so bad. He assisted Manchester United to the 2004 FA Cup, too, but it’s his work north of the border that will be his true legacy: assisting Jim McLean as they built Dundee United into a championship-winning and Barcelona-bothering force, then leading Rangers to nine in a row, plus a few more, and finally lending current Gers boss Steven Gerrard his ear during last season’s epochal title charge. Not that Smith would boast about any of it; as modest as they come, he was, as a result, one of the underrated greats. But a great nonetheless.

• Paid Members

Walter Smith's run to the UEFA Cup Final was astonishing really. Club was in the shit, but the players were playing out their skins. Nacho Novo was like Lionel Messi for that one season. It unravelled very quickly. Photo here also sums up Walter Smith for me. Always the guy to calm shit down. Jim McLean and Walter Smith said the ref was on the take for that Roma match...and he was...caught 20 years later.. (Match is the bent match between Roma vs Dundee Utd in the Semi-Final). Could have been a Liverpool vs Dundee Utd European Final. How mental would that have been?

GP25245900.jpg