• Paid Members

I appreciate the coverage on the BBC should have cut away. However, as someone who worked at the BBC for a good while I know that there are a lot, a huge number of great people who work for that organisation, and in an incredibly difficult situation the wrong decisions may have been made. Under immense pressure.

There may well be more to this situation as to why the decision not to cut back to the studio was made (still not an excuse and an investigation is definitely needed), but I will at least be waiting to hear that explanation before giving them shit, unlike a lot of people who seem to be piling on via social media.

It's not a good look for the BBC, and absolutely it was the wrong call, but I don't believe for a second that decision was made out of a desire to exploit the situation, especially understanding the immensely pressurised nature of the work done by those who work on live sport. Not saying it excuses it, but the calls for those people to be sacked seem a little harsh. 

High pressure and difficult choices I agree, but there's no excuse for them showing a man receiving CPR and jolting violently from a defibrilator. Multiple times. No explanation is acceptable for the deliberate choice of showing a man (in all appearances at the time) die on live tv. Thank fuck he seems like he's going to be alright and we can look at it a little kinder with relief but the producers really fucked up on that one and will need a really good explanation to justify what they were showing. 

I think that the poor bastards actually "commentating" were doing a decent job of holding it together but it should never have come to that for as long as it did. Put up a "technical difficulties" screen or cut to trailers if they can't go back to the studio for whatever reasons. There were other options to what they did and that's a quick brainstorm rather than throwing the studio team under the bus to "kill time until we know what's going on". Live broadcasts aren't easy and understand the panic that would be going on around while they try to work out what to do but that footage should never have been airing for as long as it was.

Can they cut away from the feed whenever they like? I wasn’t sure if they were obliged to stay with the feed while the game was going and then go back to the respective studio at half time? Someone I know in Amsterdam said they didn’t cut away either. As with a lot of things, UEFA are to blame. 

I don't put the blame on the Beeb, it was the fault of the UEFA TV director. They were controlling the camera cuts. I am willing to bet that in the broadcasting contract that the broadcaster must show the live feed until instructed by the UEFA director. 

Anywho they should give Simon Kjaer Player of the Tournament right now. Heroic actions by the Danish captain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/denmark-kjaer-christian-eriksen-cpr-24306820.amp

• Paid Members

Aware that for two posts in a row I've now used "Twitter" as a source but I've read that the Danish coverage cut away to only aerial shots as soon as it transpired that what was transpiring was more than your typical football injury. 

In my head, I'm rationalising it as it was the UEFA feed which was choosing where the cameras were pointed but if the BBC did have power to cut away, they should definitely have done it sooner. As soon as the first shot of Eriksen getting the CPR, they should have gone straight back to studio or to crowd/aerial shots or whatever. 

Really though, I don't think it's the time to be throwing blame about this stuff right now, when really I can't feel any anger or nuance when I'm so relieved that the man is still alive. It reminded me too much of the footage of Piermario Morosini and Patrick Ekeng. Honestly thought that Christian Erikson died today but he scored the most important winner imaginable. That should be the story right now. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

Decent, professional overall performance that.

Kane had a bit of a shocker, just couldn't get into it, but that's a positive, as we really don't have to rely on him.

Move on to Scotland, can see a different side getting minutes in that game.

• Paid Members

The irony is in a tournament where it'd benefit England to start slowly and limp out of the group in second place they're going to win the group and have a mountain to climb in the second round. 

• Paid Members

Calvin Philips was brilliant. When people on Twitter were moaning that Southgate had picked two defensive midfielders (#SouthgateOut was trending before the game started ffs), Philips ends up playing with freedom to roam and England benefited from it. Delighted that Sterling got the winner, he no longer has that '0 goals in major tournaments' stat hanging over him. 

I also loved the fact that he had the chance to square it to Kane at one point and chose not to 😂

• Paid Members

Lineker and Ferdinand wanking on like England had just put in some Total Football-esque demolition of Croatia when in reality they created almost nothing against a team of zimmer frame artists. And it's only the first fucking game.

Looking forward to the tournament starting properly tomorrow with Poland playing. I hope Sousa doesn't stick Zielinski out wide, he always works best for Torino through the centre.

Cracking game between the Netherlands and Ukraine last night. Fast-paced and attacking from the start with some really good goals, too. 

As an adopted Czech, I will be cheering them on against the Scots later. Seems only fair as the Scots seem to outright hate England, and the local village team I play for gave me a replica Czech national team shirt for the tournament, which was nice. 

It's weird over here, because nobody really seems to care that much. It might be different in Prague, but people care much more about hockey, tennis and other sports. I don't think they have many expectations for the Euros, especially since it's a tough group. 

They're a decent enough team though and should be hard to break down. Look out for Adam Hlozek. He's only 18 but he's been a Sparta regular for a few years and has a lot of talent. Probably the most exciting Czech prospect since a young Rosicky.