• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Wait, what's this story??

On 3/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, Carbomb said:

Was cock-blocked by Lembit Opik playing a harmonica. 

Had gone to this bar where there was live music, a guy doing a set on a piano. Was chatting to this woman I'd met before, and we were getting on pretty well. All of a sudden, Lembit Opik comes swanning in, hears the guy playing blues, whips out a harmonica from his pocket, and starts playing along, going all around the room as he plays. Jumps in between me and the lady, effectively "serenades" her briefly, before going off again. Mood destroyed, we effectively carry on chatting like mates and I'm unable to recapture the flirty atmosphere.

I'd have been massively pissed off if it wasn't so surreal.

Other shitty claim to fame (and many on here will know): wearing a super-cool shirt on The Chase.

• Paid Members

In hindsight, I'm sorry to admit that I talked a pissed up but pretty handy mate of mine out of sparking Lembit Opik at the 2003 National Eisteddfod in Powys. He was the local MP at the time but randomly decided to rock up at the young people's music festival type thing.

Fuck knows what he was doing there surrounded by teens and early 20 year olds. Probably why my mate wanted to smack him one to be fair, he was a prophet.

Edited by garynysmon

• Awards Moderator

To keep me occupied during England matches, I was thinking of doing a prediction tournament if enough people are interested.

Submit your guesses for each round by a set date; 1 point for the correct outcome of each game, 3 for the correct result. Bonus points available by picking one player in each round and for every goal they score, you get 2 points.

Can kick it off from the second round of games so it’s not a mad rush.

Winner gets bragging rights and probably some kind of Corkhill-related prize.

If more than, I don’t know, 10 people fancy it I’ll sort it at the weekend. Will do a separate thread so not to clog this one.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Not going to lie, I am bitter as fuck that England and Scotland are playing home matches yet Wales have to travel to a county bordering fucking Iran for two of their group matches and then Italy away in Rome.

It is an absolute piss take, isn't it?

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Not going to lie, I am bitter as fuck that England and Scotland are playing home matches yet Wales have to travel to a county bordering fucking Iran for two of their group matches and then Italy away in Rome.

I'm not defending it, but keeping England fans from travelling abroad is probably a saving grace to be honest.

It's a massive shame that travel isn't as widespread as it should be (rightly at the moment) as I'm sure a trip for fans to see Wales in Italy would've been fantastic.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

It's a massive shame that travel isn't as widespread as it should be (rightly at the moment) as I'm sure a trip for fans to see Wales in Italy would've been fantastic.

I had flights and tickets sorted for the Baku and Rome games (for June 2020) but I think all but about 200 Welsh fans have sent them back. Its just not feasible with the testing, extra costs and hoops you have to jump through. Plus Italy won't accept arrivals from Azerbaijan anyway.

Despite the fact it wouldn't come close to France 2016 (best and most costly month of my life) there's still a lot of FOMO envy going on this week.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Serves you all right for preferring rugby tbf

• Moderators
On 6/9/2021 at 8:12 PM, PunkStep said:

Serves you all right for preferring rugby tbf

Not actually true. Football Nation on iPlayer puts that myth to bed. 

Wrexham, pre takeover, were getting about 4500 per game. More than the rugby teams in the Pro However Many It Is Now. Swansea and Cardiff far more too. 

The majority of people in Wales who fill the millennium for six nations games and the like think Neil Jenkins is still playing. 

Edited by PowerButchi

Ugh, I've had a headache, haven't been able to sleep and cannot concentrate this morning. I thought I had COVID (again), but turns out I just have a severe case of EUROS FEVER, BABY!

Cannot wait for the tournament. The quality looks really high and there's four or five potential winners in there. Some of the group games should be cracking as well. 

I hope that it all goes off without a hitch and symbolises some sort of return to normalcy, but I have a horrible feeling the virus is going to wreak havoc with plans at some stage. 

Anyway, fancy Belgium to come good and finally win, but suspect that France's squad is just too deep and has too much quality. Italy as dark horses. 

I have watched so much pre tournament content that I'm actually sick of seeing Gazzas goal now.

Anyway, there is a superb documentary on the iplayer about Roberto Martinez (seriously) that shows just how detailed modern football is, and one about Scotland in France in 1998, which is just lovely.

Gary Lineker asking Ashley Williams about whether Gareth Bale cares about Wales on that warm up show thing annoyed me no end. William's reaction said it all. Fire all the presenters and pundits after this tournament please.

I too think Belgium will be the team to beat, despite their back 3 having a combined age of 105.

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Gary Lineker asking Ashley Williams about whether Gareth Bale cares about Wales on that warm up show thing annoyed me no end. William's reaction said it all. Fire all the presenters and pundits after this tournament please.

Yeah that was very weird. He’s been pretty open about his footballing priorities. Bit of a “would you nationalise sausages” moment for Lineker.

I know you’re down on Micah Richards, and I can see why people find him annoying, but he's got enthusiasm and a bit of personality, unlike 95% of the dullards they employ like Osman and Shearer.

Kevin Dunn would get a right boner with the amount of fast cuts in some of those pre-tape segments, as well. Genuinely nauseating. 

Enough of the negativity anyway, super excited for this. Fooooooootball!