Things you heard in the playground

Divorced Dad

What were some wrestling rumours/stories that you heard in the playground at school?

Someone at school spread the rumours that Stone Cold's catchphrase was Austin 3:16 because he won his first ever match in 3 minutes and 16 seconds. It wasn't til years later that I saw the Austin 3:16 promo.

Another was when someone talked about this promotion called ECW. They said that it was so crazy and violent that the fans threw thumbtacks into the ring. I'd only ever seen WWF at this point so was imagining huge arenas full of people throwing thumbtacks at the ring. Again it was a good few years before I found out this was bullshit. 

So what playground rumours or stories did other UKFF'ers have?

Edited by Divorced Dad

Jake Roberts' finisher the DDT stood for "Damian's dinner time".

The British Bulldog had muscle implants in his arms.

The British Bulldog had scratches around his pecks made by his Bulldog Winston (later realised these were stretch marks from roids doubling his body mass)

Warrior died and was replaced by the Mania 8 Warrior. 

That guy with blond hair on WCW called Big Poppa Pump is Scott Steiner of the Steiner Brothers. This one was true, but I couldn't believe it for months when I was younger.

I am pretty sure @JNLister in his amazing Hulk Who fanzine who told the story of when ITV or Sky jumped ahead about eighteen months in their WWF coverage it was due to the Junkyard dog crashing a coach and killing a load of wrestlers.

On a related note is there any surviving copies of either Hulk Who videos?

On a completely unrelated note there was a rumour in my school that the singer Fish put antler headgear regularly at concerts and had killed stage invaders on two occasions.

2 hours ago, IronSheik said:

the rumour I heard was it was called the Deadly Death Trap

Theres was also a rumour the day after Wrestlemania IX by some kid who had stayed up and watched it. He was telling people Hulk Hogan was champion and we told him he was a liar as Hulk wasn’t even in the main event. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, IronSheik said:

That either came from or made it into one of the tabloids at some point, I'm  certain. I honestly don't recall if it was a positive thing (profiles of the wrestlers etc) or negative (e.g. some kid copying this vile filth & DDTing his mate in the playground) but I vividly recall reading it in the Sun or Mirror (we were a highbrow two newspapers a day family...)

• Paid Members

Around year 4, the word going round was wrestling is fake but the royal rumble is 100% real as there was no way to fake it. A few of us believed this until at least year 9. Idiots. 

Also the story of Eddie Guerreros death got mixed up somewhere down the line and the word was he accidentally swallowed and choked on his toothbrush. 

• Paid Members

There were new Hasbros out in the States of Hakushi, Mantaur, Henry Godwinn and Waylon Mercy. HOG came with a bucket and everything, honest.