Things you heard in the playground

Divorced Dad

Someone insisted to me that WWF and WCW had a working relationship and that there was a weekly show every Sunday night on a channel that was only on Sky and wasn't on the Birmingham Cable that I had at home. He gave me this detailed description of Kane vs Sting where Sting bled all over the place. I must have missed that edition of the Power Slam hotline. 

God bless Sean but he liked a tall tale. He once tried to get people to believe that there was a man eating radioactive spider in the woods behind our school. 

Vince McMahon was able to look so ripped in his vest because he injected muscles into his arms. I never stopped to think until typing that out where the muscles were supposed to have come from.

All the goodies were always on the verge of announcing a new group too. 'Stone Cold's gonna come back and make a group with The Rock, Too Cool and the Hardy Boyz' kind of shouts.

Obviously ECW was real as well. And watching WCW meant you were likely a homosexual.

In 1990 a kid told me in the first year of high school that at an event Sgt. Slaughter had come to the ring and shot someone in the crowd with the machine gun he was carrying. Being 11, and from a small backwater town, I thought this was highly likely as a). I'd seen Hollywood films where apparently everyone in the US was tooled up and gunfights happened on the regular and b). This was the WWF where quite literally anything could happen apparently and the heels weren't afraid to do sink to any heinous levels.

Also a kid in my class told me his cousin had a 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin Hasbro figure - I mean of all the wrestlers he could've bullshitted about - Ronnie fucking Garvin!!!  

23 hours ago, Hugh Thesz said:

I am pretty sure @JNLister in his amazing Hulk Who fanzine who told the story of when ITV or Sky jumped ahead about eighteen months in their WWF coverage it was due to the Junkyard dog crashing a coach and killing a load of wrestlers.

JYD did get fired from the WWF for an incident on a coach (he pissed on the drivers seat), on the WWF European tour in late 1988. 

On 3/20/2021 at 6:37 PM, The Reverend said:

Also a kid in my class told me his cousin had a 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin Hasbro figure - I mean of all the wrestlers he could've bullshitted about - Ronnie fucking Garvin!!!  

It very well could have and most probably was just childlike bullshit, but could he have seen the Greg Valentine figure and thought it was Ronnie Garvin? A similar look, especially in Hasbro form.

A friend of mine tried to claim I'd missed a huge wwf show in Dec 1999 in bournemouth with him giving it all the gubbins like "uncle knew people at the big" got front row, backstage etc. I didn't believe him but it took a few years to get savvy enough on the net to know it was bull.

However I was friendlyish with an American guy at uni who claimed to have been at Mania 22 and backstage thanks to connections and I called bull on that straight away. He came to me a week later with photos. Found out later he was from a super connected family Chicago family and that was also the reason he could stay at uni studying playing American football and doing whatever he liked while the rest of us mulled eating Vs one more pint.

Vince organised the dodgy harness at Over the Edge to get revenge on Bret leaving for WCW. Sick, but definitely something that was said between kids back in the day. 

A favourite of mine is when a friend swore that he had seen, with his own eyes, a massive supershow between the WWF and WCW in 95, pitting Diesel Vs. Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels Vs. Sting, and Bret Hart Vs. Randy Savage. According to my pal, Diesel and Shawn won decisively, and Bret Hart drew with Macho Man, proving that WCW was shit and his old fave, Savage, was still ace. We were in awe.

Next day he came in rather sheepishly and reported that the show was total bollocks. Turns out he'd seen the front cover of an issue of PWI in his older brother's room (see below for said cover), and when he asked what it was about, his brother bullshitted him with the same story he told us. That night he went and read the magazine for himself, and turns out it was about the start of Nitro or something. Of course, when we recounted his story insisting he'd seen the show, he remarked that he actually said that he'd only seen that the show had happened, not seen it himself. Of course, he'd spend the better part of an hour the day before telling us in detail how he watched Diesel beat the living shit out of a blood-covered Hogan.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

This’ll be the cover @Liam O'Rourke is on about.

E49641-DD-2-A17-441-A-A618-3-C6-D18-B889

There was always similar WWF vs WCW fibs going around in my school as well. From inside scoops (flat out lies) on who was jumping ship to the old Supershow shite, usually planned for New Year’s Eve as I recall. Along the same lines as Liam’s post, a mate of mine came into school one day in 94 adamant that Owen Hart was the new WWF champion and had beat Bret on some show that wasn’t on telly here. Turned out he’d just seen a photo in WWF magazine of Owen holding the belt and assumed the rest. Probably this picture or similar;

FFF73004-C1-DF-443-B-AABC-40-B66-A6447-F

Think he’d just jumped Bret on a house show after a match and posed with the belt but my mate was absolutely convinced he was right and fully prepared to fight anyone who called him a liar. If I hadn’t seen with my own eyes Bob Backlund take the belt off Bret later that year I wouldn’t have believed that either. 

My other mate swore there was a Diesel Hasbro out in some shop near him as well in about 95. He kept saying he’d bring it in tomorrow, every day for about a week, until everyone finally realised he was full of shite. 

Edited by wandshogun09