Things you heard in the playground

Divorced Dad

• Paid Members

I remember somebody telling me that Sting was going to come to the WWF as a heel, with a pet scorpion in a box that he was going to set on his opponents like Jake Roberts used to do with Damien after matches.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I remember somebody telling me that Sting was going to come to the WWF as a heel, with a pet scorpion in a box that he was going to set on his opponents like Jake Roberts used to do with Damien after matches.

If he locked them in a chest like they do a bearded Glenn Close in Hook, then yeah, that would creep me out as a kid.

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

This’ll be the cover @Liam O'Rourke is on about.

E49641-DD-2-A17-441-A-A618-3-C6-D18-B889

There was always similar WWF vs WCW fibs going around in my school as well. From inside scoops (flat out lies) on who was jumping ship to the old Supershow shite, usually planned for New Year’s Eve as I recall. Along the same lines as Liam’s post, a mate of mine came into school one day in 94 adamant that Owen Hart was the new WWF champion and had beat Bret on some show that wasn’t on telly here. Turned out he’d just seen a photo in WWF magazine of Owen holding the belt and assumed the rest. Probably this picture or similar;

FFF73004-C1-DF-443-B-AABC-40-B66-A6447-F

Think he’d just jumped Bret on a house show after a match and posed with the belt but my mate was absolutely convinced he was right and fully prepared to fight anyone who called him a liar. If I hadn’t seen with my own eyes Bob Backlund take the belt off Bret later that year I wouldn’t have believed that either. 

My other mate swore there was a Diesel Hasbro out in some shop near him as well in about 95. He kept saying he’d bring it in tomorrow, every day for about a week, until everyone finally realised he was full of shite. 

I remember being told that on a episode of WWF TV, Owen Hart faked winning the WWE Championship. That he produced footage of himself "winning" the championship (but the identity of who he pinned was obscured) so that he could claim to be a champion in his fued with Bret Hart. Can't remember seeing any evidence of this but that's my memory.

Then of course there was the time he DID win the title from Bret (but was later overturned):

• Paid Members
On 3/22/2021 at 7:34 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

A favourite of mine is when a friend swore that he had seen, with his own eyes, a massive supershow between the WWF and WCW in 95, pitting Diesel Vs. Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels Vs. Sting, and Bret Hart Vs. Randy Savage. According to my pal, Diesel and Shawn won decisively, and Bret Hart drew with Macho Man, proving that WCW was shit and his old fave, Savage, was still ace. We were in awe.

Next day he came in rather sheepishly and reported that the show was total bollocks. Turns out he'd seen the front cover of an issue of PWI in his older brother's room (see below for said cover), and when he asked what it was about, his brother bullshitted him with the same story he told us. That night he went and read the magazine for himself, and turns out it was about the start of Nitro or something. Of course, when we recounted his story insisting he'd seen the show, he remarked that he actually said that he'd only seen that the show had happened, not seen it himself. Of course, he'd spend the better part of an hour the day before telling us in detail how he watched Diesel beat the living shit out of a blood-covered Hogan.

This reminds me of the first issue of SOW I bought where someone wrote in listing some WWF vs WCW matches asking them to re-consider who would win when a previous issue declared WCW would win. They had Bret Hart vs Sting - reply words to the effect of “it would be a very good match but Sting would be the winner”, one match I forget, Curt Hennig vs Ron Simmons (“Unquestionably, Curt Hennig”) Yokozuna vs Big Van Vader (“Ditto, Vader”) and the decider was down as The Undertaker vs Cactus Jack which had SOW a little indecisive but they concluded with “The Undertaker never loses after all so we’ll go with him.” And the WWF won 3-2. Of course, three of those matches ended up taking place several times.

On 3/20/2021 at 6:37 PM, The Reverend said:

Also a kid in my class told me his cousin had a 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin Hasbro figure - I mean of all the wrestlers he could've bullshitted about - Ronnie fucking Garvin!!!  

Would be awesome to get a Ronnie Pickering one!

• Paid Members
On 3/20/2021 at 6:37 PM, The Reverend said:

Also a kid in my class told me his cousin had a 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin Hasbro figure - I mean of all the wrestlers he could've bullshitted about - Ronnie fucking Garvin!!!  

Do you reckon they would have painted one of his shins to represent the "hammer jammer" pad he wore when he feuded with Valentine? 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Do you reckon they would have painted one of his shins to represent the "hammer jammer" pad he wore when he feuded with Valentine? 

People have done dumber things. I painted Warlord red and black so I could pretend he was Vader.