Wrestlemania 37 - April 10th & 11th

Supremo

I was just thinking, it's a shame that Mania last year was played out to no fucker at the Performance Center because it was a better card than the one this year is shaping up to be. This is probably the first WrestleMania to lack star power. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Outside of maybe Wrestlemania 1, has it ever got this close to Wrestlemania with so little announced for it?

Mania 11-13 had as many or fewer matches take place on the night than already announced for 37.

Lack of star power? They've got The Hulkster, brother!

I see there's a twitter thing pushing for the women to headline night one at Wrestlemania. Will they cave? I think it'd be cool although it sounds like WWE are more invested in Nia Jax and Reginald than Sasha/Bianca. Could end up feeling like an empty gesture like before. 

Does it even matter though? You could slot almost anyone into the main event these days and it wouldn't make much difference. Drew, Bray, Sasha, they're all the same. The entire promotion is ice cold and aimless outside of possibly heel Roman.

• Paid Members

No interest in Mania at all, again, so been watching some matches I've not seen in years.

Watched Edge and Foley from 22. Wasn't massively into it at the time. It was a bit of a comedown for Edge and Foley couldn't match the blinding Orton feud a couple of years earlier. It's really good though. Shades of the Foley/Orton match from Backlash but they both work hard and take stupid offence for a midcard match and that flaming table spot is still insane. What was this, a year before they went PG? The blood and violence is well OTT for a company who'd be selling themselves as "family friendly" shortly after.

I've next to no memory of 23. Outside of the Cena/HBK and Lashley/Umaga matches, I'm not entirely convinced I've seen it all. Watched Batista/Taker. That's a belter. This is probably prime Taker as a worker from Rumble 2007 through the two HBK Mania matches. Big Dave gets a smattering of boos at the start but after kicking lumps out of each other, he chucks Taker through the announce table and they hit a great go home stretch with the crowd rabidly behind Taker and some great near falls.

On my to watch Taker/Punk, I saw Team Hell No vs. Ziggler and Big E Langston. The little pre-match vid for this does a great job of putting over Big E. He's fun in the match too which is short and sweet. Ziggler was even good then. 8 years on and they've still never pulled the trigger on Big E. Numpties.

Taker/Punk is tremendous. Punk will never be for everyone but he's so good. He looks like a chav coming out looking thin in his tracky top with his skinhead but it's all deceptive. He's just brilliant and he drags everything Taker had left out of him. I didn't mind Taker with the short mohawk. Better than the straggly hair he had a few years later. Great live performance from Living Colour too. Unusual for a band at Mania.

Saw the Shield's first Mania match last night. That's a fun enough six man but not a patch on the one's they'd go on to have. Funny to watch it though knowing what they became. Never any doubt from day one that Roman was the project.

2 hours ago, The Dart said:

8 matches announced.    2 and a half weeks to go.   That seems reasonable.

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Mania 11-13 had as many or fewer matches take place on the night than already announced for 37.

Didn’t realise they’d announced 8 matches. Can only think of 3 off the top of my head

8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Didn’t realise they’d announced 8 matches. Can only think of 3 off the top of my head

Off the top of my head they've announced

Reigns vs Edge

McIntyre vs Lashley

Asuka vs Ripley

Banks vs BelAir

Orton vs Wyatt

New Day vs Styles/Omos

McMahon vs Strowman

There should also be Rollins vs Cesaro, probably another Big E vs Crews match, a multi team match for the SD tag titles, Riddle defending the US, maybe a multi team match for the Womens's tag and the battle royals for the rest/NXT roster which would make for 7 matches each night

9 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Off the top of my head they've announced

Reigns vs Edge

McIntyre vs Lashley

Asuka vs Ripley

Banks vs BelAir

Orton vs Wyatt

New Day vs Styles/Omos

McMahon vs Strowman

There should also be Rollins vs Cesaro, probably another Big E vs Crews match, a multi team match for the SD tag titles, Riddle defending the US, maybe a multi team match for the Womens's tag and the battle royals for the rest/NXT roster which would make for 7 matches each night

Don't forget the real main event - The Miz w/Morrison vs Bad Bunny w/Priest.

Other matches I can see apart from the ones you mentioned are Sami/KO, Riddle/Sheamus & Roode/Ziggler vs Mysterios vs Gable/Otis vs Street Profits

Can make a couple of decent cards out of that lot, nothing that screams Wrestlemania though to me.