Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

They could probably do with some kind of Tunney-esque figure though. Scott D'Amore does alright as authority figure guy in Impact. They need somebody like that. Dustin could have been a good choice for it, or Arn.

• Paid Members

Not great by any means. Not totally unbelievable though - scrappy and awkward, but seemed somewhat genuine. I certainly don't want him to be polished and a regular authority character - and the authority character thing is so played out anyway. Rare occasions like this, in the name of kayfabe, I'm fine with. Please no authority characters, unless it's Regal like (assuming he's continued to be as great as he was when I last saw him).

• Paid Members

I don’t want a full-time on-air authority figure but I have often wondered how Mick Foley would do in that role. Even if it’s just every few months.

He’s always been great whenever he’s done it in the past and for as much as he’s exposed himself to be a creep in real life you can’t knock his promos. There’s hardly anyone in the business who’s better at getting guys over when he’s given a proper opportunity.

I hate the on-screen authority figure. It was played out 15 years ago and it makes no sense in a professional, TV show environment. It's utterly unnecessary. If you want to get over that something is getting called on the fly, just show a ringside wonk with an earpiece passing instructions to Justin Roberts. The only reason for the boss to walk out on stage is because the boss wants to be on stage. Regardless of who it is, it's essentially the in-ring workers being told off and/or punished in front of everyone. Which is fine, but you don't need to get your face on camera to do it, unless you want to show everyone how very important you are.

• Paid Members

Cool to see Royce Isaacs turn up on Dark/Elevation this week. I liked his team in NWA, but I assume due to Thomas Lattimer being a wifebeater AEW are making him team with someone else.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

They could probably do with some kind of Tunney-esque figure though. Scott D'Amore does alright as authority figure guy in Impact. They need somebody like that. Dustin could have been a good choice for it, or Arn.

Scott D'Amore, by the skin of his teeth, manages to keep the right side of the line in that his character doesn't dominate the TV show and is usually only called upon when needed to make a decision and not just set up matches willy nilly.

The thing with authority figures is its pointless sticking Dustin Rhodes in there as everyone knows he's just a contracted performer. Scott D'Amore is an EVP at Impact, so at least makes sense in that regard.

That appearance by Tony Khan looks painfully bad compared to him playing the heel on the weekly Impact ads though. I suppose this proves he doesn't have much acting range then....

Could be a similar situation to Shawn O'Haire. Comfortable in pre recorded segments but falls to bits in front of an actual audience.

I understand if he felt the need to get involved as a match maker since it's no secret that he's the boss but he could have easily had Big Tony relay the message to Omega.

• Paid Members

I'd much prefer it if they relayed management/commissioner announcements through the commentators, and, even then, only rarely. 

There are so many ways to announce decisions, an on-screen authority figure really isn't necessary.

A wrestler standing in the ring, cutting a promo: "So those assholes in the boardroom have told me I have to..."

A sports pundit newsroom, with the presenter listening on his earpiece and declaring to the room and the TV "I've just received word from management that..."

An interviewer telling the wrestler they're speaking to that they've just been told that...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I don’t want a full-time on-air authority figure but I have often wondered how Mick Foley would do in that role. Even if it’s just every few months.

He’s always been great whenever he’s done it in the past and for as much as he’s exposed himself to be a creep in real life you can’t knock his promos. There’s hardly anyone in the business who’s better at getting guys over when he’s given a proper opportunity.

I thought his last run as Raw GM was poxy. The passionate promos he was known for just seemed to be parodies. There was a point he was yelling at the top of his voice about how Sheamus and Cesaro were the two best in the world or something and he was trying really hard to make it an epic promo moment, but instead he just came across as a mad old rambling bloke.

I don't understand Dark: Elevation at all right now. The only thing that seperated this from a normal Dark was the dreadful Omega/Sydal/Nakazawa/Khan bollocks. Khan was dreadful here and could do with a spokesman to come out and talk for him - Jerry Lynn has popped up a few times so him maybe?

Other than that it was just another bloated Dark. I would've assumed Elevation would be a showcase edition of Dark, kind of a bridge to Dynamite with around 4-5 matches a week maybe. If they're running both these shows in the future plus their planned second TV show, that's way too much content. 

Hopefully the massive runtime on this was a one-off due to it being the debut show and in future either this or Dark will be toned down, but I've got a bad feeling we're heading to AEW having 2-hour shows every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

QT Marshall vs Marko Stunt was really fun, on the plus side.

52 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

high quality GIF

Yeah it was. Every squirrel finds a nut and QT being this bitter ego brusied, po-faced twat is better than being a bland po-faced twat.

He was canny in that Bunkhouse Match they had with Butcher and Blade and everyone was a bit quiet about it. I t was good, shame the angle itself had its pieces but seemed to fall around a bit.

He's still tosh mostly mind.