Other AEW shows discussion (Dark, Elevation, BTE, whatever else)

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, robinbobs said:

To think I was getting flamed at the weekend for even daring to go against the grain and say that these lot are embarrassingly shit. With this and getting the Money Mark on camera, I'll give it a year tops before Daddy pulls the plug. Sonny boy will need to focus his energy into getting Fulham back into the Premiership.

You didn't get flamed, everyone ignored you.

• Paid Members

Ethan Page looks like one of those energy company blokes that try to collar old people in town and posts pictures on instagram stood next to other people’s sports cars. He has nothing going on and all I can hope is they didn’t Vince him into a 5 year deal.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Ryo vs Layla Hirsch on Elevation is a fun little match. Really like Hirsch. AEW has quietly built up a pretty decent womens division, they just need to put some focus on it now.

They have, but I'm worried that they'll fall back into old habits of heavily favouring the joshi wrestlers without ever really explaining who they are. I don't see any justification for bringing in Ryo and instantly pushing her into a title match in the way that they did, over someone like Layla, Swole, Conti or Red Velvet - someone who has slowly been building up an identity, and would actually benefit from being in a match from Shida, even if they were to lose. 

Riho, assuming she's sticking around, would also have made sense - essentially a comeback story for the first AEW Women's World Champion. 

If they handle the division correctly and actually give their female wrestlers promo time and angles, they really could have an exciting division. Britt, Thunder Rosa, Shida, Layla, Nyla, Conti, Jade, Red Velvet, Riho and, to a lesser extent (she's yet to impress me in ring), Swole all form an exciting base from which to build a division. 

A few tweaks are needed here and there (remove Vickie from Nyla's act, make Britt champion, find a way of hiding Jade's weaknesses as she develops) but this is a division that could be playing a more integral role on Dynamite than it currently is. 

As far as the show goes, people have generally been very positive about Paul Wight's commentary, but is it just me who is finding him a little dull? He's not terrible or anything like that, but if a show made up of meaningless matches is to feel watchable, he needs to show a bit more personality.

Edited by RedRooster

Just now, RedRooster said:

They have, but I'm worried that they'll fall back into old habits of heavily favouring the joshi wrestlers without ever really explaining who they are.

How dare you. They're from Japan. JAPAN!! They must be amazing. Kenny Omega knows everything about Japanese women damnit.

• 2 weeks later...

Double post wanker.

I've really enjoyed every episode Dark Elevation so far.

Some fun little matches this week . Nothing Meltzer would bust a nut over but mostly inoffensive wrestling and some mid card story advancement. 

The Acclaimed are rapidly becoming one of my favourite acts in AEW.

• Paid Members

Other than some people having slightly more mic time, I'm still not sure what the main difference between Dark and Dark Elevation is, but it's still a decent show. Always excited to see Max Caster and love that he now ends his diss tracks with a straight up insult. People like the Varsity Blondes, 10, Max Caster and Britt Baker getting a good showing is always welcome.

Couldn't believe my ears during the Nakazawa match when Paul Wight said "he calls that the Hentai Slide!" and a stunned Tony Schiavone went "...is that what he calls it?"

8 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

The Acclaimed are rapidly becoming one of my favourite acts in AEW.

Me too. If I were Tony Khan I'd be using them as a featured act on Dynamite every week, they're utterly captivating. I know there's hardlany space on Dynamite as it is, but I'm sure if he looked hard enough he could find some dead weight to marshal(l) off to Dark.