Wrestling Photos

gmoney

15 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I love Wrestlemania 9 so much.Ā 

314297B9-795D-46EB-ADBB-26975068A636.jpeg

I could be wrong, but I think they were filming a WrestleMania IX documentary at the time but it was never produced. Every so often, you see some of the footage presumably shot for it inserted into WWE documentaries and such. It would make a good project for someone at WWE to go back and put it together, maybe with some comptemporary interviews and whatnot.

EDIT: Here's some of that footage:Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Roy
Added a link

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I love Wrestlemania 9 so much.Ā 

314297B9-795D-46EB-ADBB-26975068A636.jpeg

I just love 1993. After 1997, it's genuinely my favourite year ever. I know business was heading down the shitter, I know people tend to hate WM9, Luger's push, even Yoko's push. I don't care. I'm currently making my way through Challenge and Superstars, up to just after SummerSlam now, and I'm just in love with it. Unusually for me, I had decent access to the PPVs in 1993 due to a friend of my cousin being a massive fan and taping shows for us (she even took my brothers to a UK show where they met the British Bulldog. I was in Corfu with my uncle and missed it. It genuinely ruined my holiday!) and saw everything apart from Survivor Series within a week or so. I even have memories of seeing some parts of the weekend TV from that summer and when I got into tape trading, I got a tape off a Norwegian guy which was a super cut of All-American (or maybe Mania) contianing the Gene and bobby in Philadelphia skits that just sent my love for 93 over the top.

KOTR 93 is an all-timer of a PPV. I still watch it at least once a year. Mania 9 is such a fun show, it's different, it's colourful, it's OTT. match wise it's dire, I guess, but who cares about that? The Lex Express is a great promotional push, albeit for probably the wrong guy. Raw is a decent show throughout most of the year, the KOTR qualifiers are really novel and well-thought out, 123 Kid's wins over Razor and Dibiase are some of the best stuff they've ever done, Shawn and Marty are great together. It's just a collection of insanely colourful, larger than life characters. Honestly, I even like the Hogan/Beefcake angles before Mania. If Hogan never wins the title, Savage works more and IRS gets shot out of a cannon after Mania, it's even better.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I just love 1993. After 1997, it's genuinely my favourite year ever. I know business was heading down the shitter, I know people tend to hate WM9, Luger's push, even Yoko's push. I don't care. I'm currently making my way through Challenge and Superstars, up to just after SummerSlam now, and I'm just in love with it. Unusually for me, I had decent access to the PPVs in 1993 due to a friend of my cousin being a massive fan and taping shows for us (she even took my brothers to a UK show where they met the British Bulldog. I was in Corfu with my uncle and missed it. It genuinely ruined my holiday!) and saw everything apart from Survivor Series within a week or so. I even have memories of seeing some parts of the weekend TV from that summer and when I got into tape trading, I got a tape off a Norwegian guy which was a super cut of All-American (or maybe Mania) contianing the Gene and bobby in Philadelphia skits that just sent my love for 93 over the top.

KOTR 93 is an all-timer of a PPV. I still watch it at least once a year. Mania 9 is such a fun show, it's different, it's colourful, it's OTT. match wise it's dire, I guess, but who cares about that? The Lex Express is a great promotional push, albeit for probably the wrong guy. Raw is a decent show throughout most of the year, the KOTR qualifiers are really novel and well-thought out, 123 Kid's wins over Razor and Dibiase are some of the best stuff they've ever done, Shawn and Marty are great together. It's just a collection of insanely colourful, larger than life characters. Honestly, I even like the Hogan/Beefcake angles before Mania. If Hogan never wins the title, Savage works more and IRS gets shot out of a cannon after Mania, it's even better.

Concur with that.

1993 was the year we got Sky, so everything was so magical. FINALLY having weekly access to shows I previously had to beg people to tape or to borrow from schoolfriends.

So with Wrestlemania 9 being the first PPV I was able/allowed to watch live (must have been easter holidays) it holds a special place in my heart. I watched it so many times that I could recall pretty much the whole commentary.

As you said, the KOTR qualifiers were great as you had superstar v superstar matches for weeks leading up, including two draws between Doink and Mr Perfect.

Its funny looking back at Raw's from that year as the show wasn't available over here, only highlights on WWF Mania, so it was a bit of an 'exotic' show that had some mystique to it.Ā 

The only downside was that I was convinced for years afterwards that I must have missed a show as the Luger face turn on the USS Intrepid just made absolutely no sense to me, Narcissist one week then Mr USA the next with no explaination? I couldn't fathom that one. Plus I was majorly pissed off that Hulk Hogan disappeared after KOTR, I'd waited years to be able to watch Hulk regularly and now he was fucking off again? I could never take to Luger because of that, although nostalgia wise its still a great era.

Looking back though, has there ever been a year where star power fell off a cliff so much? In the Rumble you have Savage, Flair, Perfect etc as active wrestlers. By the turn of the 1994 Ludvig Borga is shoehorned into main events and Men on a Mission (fucking hated them) and the QuebecersĀ dominate the tag ranks.Ā Ā 

Really fascinating year.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Love the frame with all his gimmicks in it. Steve Lombardi has one in his house, it takes up three rooms.

I dread to think how big Beefcake's would be.Ā