The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I wonder where Pete Dunne's current 'Baddest Man in NXT' leading to? Fingers crossed its Bryan if he has resigned, but outside of that, I can't think who else it could be leading to. Knowing where things usually go, I predict Dexter Lumis to appear behind Dunne and stare at him. 

Outside of Bryan, the only other possible outcome I can see is the reveal of who or what the Diamond Mine is (unless they've already done that and I've missed it) as the opposition, but even that sounds pretty underwhelming unless it's someone really excellent. 

• Paid Members

Austin Theory and Gargano's reaction shot after Kross' entrance this week was my highlight of the show. This is hands down the best thing Gargano has done, I love it. 

• Paid Members

Absolutely. That segment with Gargano and Regal backstage, where Gargano went to mess with his brass knuckles but then bottled it when Regal warned him not to like a school headteacher? Instead deciding to snap Regal’s pencil and run off like a toddler? Better than every Takeover main event Johnny’s ever had.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

NXT is on a good run of cracking shows lately, the move to Tuesday nights has really sealed their bottle and allowed them to calm down a little. They are still having the matches with stipulations, but they seem a lot more logical now, like the cage next week for Reed / Gargano following Theory / Gargano jumping Reed and The Way getting involved all the time.

The Way are a fun group and has reinvigorated Gargano to the point that he's one of the people I enjoy watching the most.

Swerve's new group has a great look and is different to the usual groups we see with them being an entourage of sorts. I can't get my head around how much Ashante Adonis looks like JTG. 

The only thing at the minute i'm not a fan of, is Gonzalez. I don't think she is ready for these big matches like Shirai was, which was shown during the middle section of the match with Martinez.

• 2 weeks later...

A solid episode this week, gave us a bit of everything.

NXT has definitely benefitted from going to Tuesday, away from the shackles of ratings war they can just concentrate on making a good show.

Also...the show greatly benefitted from lack of Gargano and Austin, it wasn't until this week i realized how much of a drain their 'comedy' act is.

I'd say that NXT had regained its footing as a solid show before the Tuesday move but it has certainly continued down that path. It's a good show with some different characters.

I'm personally a fan of Gargano's current work though. I think this version of him as a heel is the best work he's done in a while now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Thoughts and prayers for Kross. Already floundering as the supposed tough guy badass. He’s got babyfaces and heels alike scripted to point out that he’s a big, shit disappointment, and then Samoa fucking Joe potentially comes in. Honestly, mate. Jack it in and go back to being a bouncer at Wetherspoons.

Still though. Ladder match at the pay per view! I laughed. Of course it’s a ladder match.

8 hours ago, Supremo said:

Thoughts and prayers for Kross. Already floundering as the supposed tough guy badass. He’s got babyfaces and heels alike scripted to point out that he’s a big, shit disappointment, and then Samoa fucking Joe potentially comes in. Honestly, mate. Jack it in and go back to being a bouncer at Wetherspoons.

Still though. Ladder match at the pay per view! I laughed. Of course it’s a ladder match.

Joe in NXT is perfect. If managed right, it could be the type of schedule that actually gets us a prolonged Joe run. 

Also, which talent are slagging off Kross and what is being said? I don’t find him all that bad but my interest since the last Takeover has fallen off a cliff so there’s obviously some sort of correlation. Seems odd for talent to be burying him in a ‘shoot’ style when the management must be so seemingly invested in him. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Sexy Dad said:

Also, which talent are slagging off Kross and what is being said? I don’t find him all that bad but my interest since the last Takeover has fallen off a cliff so there’s obviously some sort of correlation. Seems odd for talent to be burying him in a ‘shoot’ style when the management must be so seemingly invested in him. 

They had Adam Cole tell him ;

This brand has done everything to make you feel special. They gave you the music, the lights, the smoke machine, the girl ... Do you know what they have given me to make me feel special? The sound of the bell at the beginning of the fight; because on your best day you wouldn't be able to tie my boots. You can't with me you're not at my level and anyone who's a pro wrestling fan knows it. You are not special, I am special, you are only the guy who has something that belongs to me.”

Opening 6 Man tag was a fun match but the result was never in question after only just putting the North American title on Bronson Reed. He still needs a lot of work does Reed, but I think he could be really good on the main roster some day. Having that bit of youth on his side, he could become what we all hoped Samoa Joe would be.

Fucking hell, Mercedes Martinez and Xia Lee with the anti-pop for their respective entrances. CIA’s was maybe a touch louder, but you could hear a pin drop in Mercedes’. “Martinez, feeding off the energy here in the CWC” - if she doing that, she’s going to go hungry. Fucking Boa, where did they find him? He’s fucking useless. 
Skip this match, total waste of time.

This weeks Ladder match a bit to get going and LA Knight was throwing them around like it was going out fashion. It was OK, but I doubt I’ll remember it in a couple of weeks. Highlight of the match was Beth’s terrified scream as Grimes accidentally knocked a Ladder towards the commentary table.

Kross (by the way, state of you Gladiator Flaps mate) isn’t a massive guy, but he looked massive compared to the others in the 5-Way. I’m sure there are people will have loved this match, and I wouldn’t even say that it was bad, but we’ve seen it all before so many times that’s it’s hard to care. Multiple people submission holds, Adam Cole smacking the shit of his thigh, everyone down spot so that the crowd can chant “this is awesome!” when it’s at best alright, standoff before everyone goes in with flailing punches (aka the Frye-Takayama/the Hockey Fight spot), Pete Dunne having a fight with the air - it’s all here and it’s all been done to death. 
I honestly don’t think that NXT is for me anymore

The opener was fantastic. So much so that it was pretty difficult for anything else to live up to it after. Obviously I get the idea of a hot opener to get everything going but yeah, it was a tough sell for the rest of the card,

I appreciate the efforts to give Xia Li (and women as a whole) a decent storyline but I wasn't that fussed about seeing her and Mercedes face off. The match certainly didn't have a Takeover feel to it by any means.

LA Knight and Cameron Grimes - another one where the story and the characters were great but I had little interest in seeing a match, which is a bit of a problem when obviously it's a wrestling show. Mostly LA Knight if I'm honest. He loses me once the bell goes.

Raquel and Ember had a pretty decent match I thought. Gonzalez is still developing but she's believable enough as the champ - especially with Dakota by her side. Ember's been a lot more enjoyable since her return to NXT and is a real solid hand in the ring but I don't get the feeling there's much more to her.

Main event was fine. Certainly not one of my favourites, and I'm not sure if Kross has 'go away' heat or bad guy heat.. I'm leaning towards the first option unfortunately. He's like the Lesnar of NXT only not as good. He just feels like a weird fit for NXT and I'm still not sold on his character or lack of. He's a confusing mixture of many things.

By Takeover standards it was probably one of the worst ones they've done. Even when it looked fairly weak on paper I was hoping it would deliver over expectations but most of it was just there.