The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members

I knew there were outside, contractual reasons. But the way they’ve rushed past the announced change every time it’s brought up on TV, and haven’t really explained anything themselves? The majority of people are going to think this is purely a white flag against AEW. I just find it so unlike them to make themselves look vulnerable like this. I expected them to at least try and offer a half baked kayfabe explanation to try and save face.

• Paid Members

Oh I fully agree, I think it was just a case of 'Were on Tuesdays from the 13th' and that's pretty much it. They have left themselves wide open to ridicule regarding the 'Wednesday Night War' stuff and next week i would fully expect AEW to have a few digs throughout their show. 

Edited by Nick James

Gonzalez is still super green yet she’s also a million times better than she was in the Mae Young Classic, she was fucking useless back then. And fair play for giving someone a try who doesn’t have a load of internet points.

Gutted that GYV came up short once again, but they can do another match with MSK down the line

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Thing is though who really cares? Is it not just a big deal if they make it into one?

Of course, it’s not a big deal really, but it does feel really uncharacteristic for them to quietly drift away considering the effort and fanfare they originally put into this, “war,” sending out press releases on the first night, sending everyone in the entire company to Wednesdays at one point or another and putting NXT over Raw and Smackdown at Survivor Series.

I also wonder whether it’ll leave a stink of failure. For example, I don’t think I ever watched TNA again after they tragically moved back to Thursdays after getting trounced on Mondays. 

Edited by Supremo

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Also, unless I’m mistaken, have they even given a reason either on TV or in press releases as to why they’re moving to Tuesdays? I know there are other non-AEW factors but the way they’re so sheepish about it and haven’t even attempted to create a kayfabe explanation makes them look like such losers, running away from a fight they started.

To cut a long story short, NBC Sports has been closed and their live programming is being moved to USA which includes NHL On Wednesday nights

Have they ever given a Kayfabe reason for when the shows Move nights?

Smackdown has gone from Thursday- Friday-Tuesday-Friday (Maybe missed a move back to Thursday somewhere in there i cant remember) and I dont think they've ever really explained why its moved?

What kayfabe Reason can they actually give that would be of any long term benefit? Just announce the switch and move on, don't think it really requires some weird on screen reason for it.

They are best off just not saying anything other than that they are moving. The only people that would believe it was because of AEW wouldn’t believe any other reason anyway and would just make fun and call them liars. It’s lose lose for them really.

Just a little bit of spleen-venting here, but I wonder how people feel about NXT's commentary at the moment? I know a lot of people here disliked Mauro, and I remember that one of the chief complaints was that he was always yelling, but Vic Joseph is driving me mad with it. I feel like he is yelling everything. Sure, he doesn't say "mamma mia!", but it's almost like he's delivering every sentence with that level of emphasis. It's like ALL CAPS, ALL THE TIME. And Wade and Beth are guilty of it too, like they're being told that they need to constantly be screeching at fever pitch for any of it to be exciting. It's really off-putting. 

Wade is great. Vic is fine. Beth is shit. I don’t watch NXT often so I’m basing that off the maybe 1 or 2 shows I watch a month and mostly off yesterday. It pains me to say but I think the geek in the mask is maybe the best in any wrestling I watch.

Edited by Yakashi

• Paid Members

Vic is fine. Completely inoffensive, I barely notice he’s there. Wade and Beth are great together. When they do the babyface/heel thing bouncing off each other it’s great fun. Beth still has that thing where she always sounds tentative, but Wade is good enough to usually carry her through it. Wade is excellent. Great voice, gives the heels some fun support, always adds to the matches and angles, gets stuff over, funny, insightful, has great instincts, doesn’t sound over-rehearsed, always feels sincere, never annoys me.

Getting rid of Mauro Ranallo remains one of the best decisions in NXT history.

Edited by Supremo