The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

Tonight’s episode has a big fight feel to it with the two big title matches as well as Regal’s big announcements

The feeling is that the announcements are going to be NXT getting their own women’s tag titles and either confirmation of the 2 night Takeover on Wrestlemania week or the move to Tuesdays after Mania but honestly I’d like it to be a curveball

Done a bit of fantasy booking in my head that Regal was going to state that, based on last week, Raquel and Dakota were getting a rematch at Mania with the stip being if they win, the tag titles become NXT exclusive and that the winners of both of tonight’s title matches will defend the belts at Mania with their challengers determined by two triple threat matches at Takeover with the qualifiers taking place over 3 weeks starting tonight and to add fire to it whoever loses tonight out of Io, Toni, Balor and Cole will be ruled out of taking part 

• Paid Members

Bar a handful of matches, I’ve never watched much PWG. However, I remember someone (maybe @BomberPat?) posted a video on here of an angle where Kyle O’Reilly returned to attack Adam Cole. It looked fucking amazing. Lights come back on, crowd go bonkers, Kyle goes mental, looks like a superstar. Absolutely wild scenes. If someone has that clip please re-post it.

It’s all I could think about watching the end of this week’s show. How different things can be. Same guys. Same angle. But the whole thing just feels so desperate and forced. So unnatural. So micro-managed. I mean, if nothing else, fucking look at him. You just know this look was brainstormed. It’s 2021, Hunter. Your big return in cut-off denim was nearly two decades ago. 

F1D4CC94-0AD9-4D2E-8629-5BE698E9ED63.thumb.jpeg.4de1ced2ba84318d5ea3af102a2e8f97.jpeg

The state of him. Cut off denim, converse and a Metallica T-shirt. Frankly, I’m surprised they stopped there.

7B0F3E98-9C83-4DE1-B6D1-55F268669EB3.jpeg.4f784241c34de72c7979a6988afdc26b.jpeg

“I’m a babyface now, fellow kids.”

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

How Drake remains employed is beyond me. He’s a complete liability. That he still has a job and there never appears to be any consequences for his actions suggests the Q-anon, anti-mask conspiracy bullshit must run straight to the top, he’s the only one stupid enough to make it so public.

• Awards Moderator

I tried to watch some clips of this week's episode on YouTube - the recaps of NXT have read quite well recently and it does sound like its on the up again - but I had to give up pretty quickly. It's the camera cuts. NXT always used to be a little bit less affected by the production quirks of WWE-Main but that's not the case anymore, is it? I could barely keep track of what was happening in the 3 minutes of Ciampa vs. Barthel I saw, because there's no time to process what you see before the camera cuts, and cuts, and cuts again. There was one particularly egregious bit where Barthel took a German Suplex, and it cut away just as he was landing, then cut back again, and I thought, these guys are taking bumps like that for no-one. Practically nobody's there in person to see them, and nobody watching at home can see them because every move's got three camera cuts to it.

I know moaning about camera cuts in WWE is the whinge du jour but it's bloody awful. I couldn't watch a whole show of that, even if NXT is better again.

• Paid Members

It’s interesting that Hunter was reportedly absent on Wednesday because I thought this was the most enjoyable, tightest episode of NXT in ages. It obviously helps that they had returns like WALTER, but still. It’s the craziest thing that they seem to have found a bit of a stride just as they’re planning on moving to Tuesdays.

I dread Kross winning the belt and becoming the main focus of the show though. It’s mad the way he’s pushed and presented as this unstoppable  monster despite the fact that he’s got nowhere the physique he had before the injury. They act like he’s Brock Lesnar or Bobby Lashley but they’d eat him for breakfast. Scarlett as the mumbling, gurning goth is awful TV, too. Flashbacks to 4am at Download Festival.

Odds on them making the Cruiserweight Title unification another ladder match? I like to imagine this is a live shot of their creative team trying their hardest to not book yet another ladder match. 

15884DCC-F04C-47AF-A166-D9697DAE79C2.thumb.jpeg.a7c9a58a0becdef3ebdaedbac963f252.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Odds on them making the Cruiserweight Title unification another ladder match? I like to imagine this is a live shot of their creative team trying their hardest to not book yet another ladder match. 

Nah, pretty sure that's a live shot of their creative team trying their hardest to not book two championship rivals into a tag team.. and then the next shot is them obviously failing miserably.

After how well they got on last week, team Balor and Kross together again.  Then have Balor & Kross vs Cole & O'Reilly; unlikely partners unite to try to win the tag titles, maybe in a ladder match (as suggested above).