The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

• Paid Members

Not a bad show overall, it just seems like they have saved the main matches for tonight.

Good to see MSK pick up the win, would have liked GYV to get the nod, but i'm happy with MSK as well. Same with Raquel picking up the title, its a shame Shirai had to drop the title as she's been a brilliant champion and looks hard as nails, but glad they used Raquel to get the rub.

WALTER just reminds me of an overgrown toddler in his pants and boots, the guy needs some knee or elbow pads to change the look. Ciampa should never grow his hair out again, the old man look just didn't work. 

I could watch Swerve and Ruff throw each other around all day and glad they gave the win to Bronson, the rest of it was just there. 

Other than the Women's tag match, tonight's show looks like the more interesting of the two. I really cant get on board with either Shotzi or Ember Moon, both are sloppy as hell and just don't interest me what so ever. 

Decent first night I thought. Nothing spectacular or unexpected but everything was solid, depending on whether you like WALTER or not.

I like how they're building each division though. The mid-card North American stuff is coming together nicely. The womens division has been really strong for a while now. And they actually seem to appreciate tag wrestling in NXT so I really enjoyed that match too.

Tonight should be better, although I'm sure Cole/O'Reilly will have its critics much like any big time Cole match. I guess we'll see how that goes down. Assume Kross will regain the title as I can't see much benefit coming out of Finn beating him.

• Paid Members

Cole vs. O'Reilly will be a real test for me - as a match with some real heat going into it, I'm hoping we'll see Adam Cole work with a little more grit and intensity. If he has the same Adam Cole match he always has, I'll be disappointed, it could be an opportunity for him to (finally) evolve as a wrestler and character.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

If he has the same Adam Cole match he always has, I'll be disappointed, it could be an opportunity for him to (finally) evolve as a wrestler and character.

I'm wagering you'll be disappointed, if I'm honest Pat. I don#t think Cole has it in him to not slide into his worst tendencies. What should be a personal, heated brawl will be full of Cole trying to get his shit in. 

• Paid Members

A solid show that’s in and out in two hours. Awesome. Quite sad really that their run on Wednesdays ended with one of their best shows at a time when they finally feel to be building momentum.

Also, unless I’m mistaken, have they even given a reason either on TV or in press releases as to why they’re moving to Tuesdays? I know there are other non-AEW factors but the way they’re so sheepish about it and haven’t even attempted to create a kayfabe explanation makes them look like such losers, running away from a fight they started.

Great opener. No idea what happened to Pete Dunne’s entrance music though. Terrible decision to switch it to that generic rawk.

Super enjoyable gauntlet match. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and they stick with the Lucha Underground style gauntlet rather than guys only coming out after someone scores a pin or submission. Way more fun. And speaking of fun, this felt like a real coming out party for Bronson Reed. Great, fun big man spots all match, coming out of it feeing like a big deal. I’m stoked for his match with Gargano.

Best Ciampa has looked in years. Him shaving his head also took about twenty years off him. Mad though that it ended up part of the actual storyline that he’s done shit all for years. Great match. I also laughed out loud during the ring introductions when they listed Ciampa’s “INTANGIBLE,” quality as simply, “PSYCHOTIC.”

Insane tag team title match. I wonder if a someone with more knowledge or experience in the business can answer me - how the fuck do they even execute these types of matches? So much shit happening with so many guys having to be in the right spot at the right time, I genuinely can’t comprehend how they put them together and perform them so flawlessly. There’s far too much stuff happening for it to be called on the fly, yet equally there’s so much to remember that even if they scripted it out move-for-move it’d be about a hundred pages!

The perfect main event. Nice and quick, no messing around, get Raquel over as the next big thing. Lovely. I’m hoping that if Cross is winning the title tonight that they do the same thing with him. We’ve seen him flounder trying to do the super long NXT-style main event already. Not everyone needs to do it. Just get in, look good, and get out.

Gonzalez is still super green, particularly when she has to think on her feet like in those last few minutes when she looked a bit lost in what to say  whilst celebrating, but you can’t fault them for trying. They recognised she had something, built it up and then pulled the trigger. Boss.

Also - no CGI birds or choo choo sound effects. Thumbs up.

Edited by Supremo

I occasionally dip into the Takeover shows and really enjoyed it. Also liked the look of the arena, the cages ringside & the darker theme, reminds me of old school WWE compared to the bright colours that is Raw & Smackdown. I haven't seen NXT in such a long time, so it might not be a new thing.

Despite having the WWE Network I watched this on BT Sport and the only thing that bugged me was the adverts in the matches and after every match and then returning from the break and no entrances or the match already started, fair enough on the weekly show but not on PPV. Not sure if this was different or the same on the WWE Network or a new thing now they've teamed with Peacock?

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Also, unless I’m mistaken, have they even given a reason either on TV or in press releases as to why they’re moving to Tuesdays? I know there are other non-AEW factors but the way they’re so sheepish about it and haven’t even attempted to create a kayfabe explanation makes them look like such losers, running away from a fight they started.

I could be wrong, however I'm sure I read that the decision wasn't a WWE one and was related to the contract being close to ending with USA Network, one of the agreements for them to resign was a move to Tuesdays so USA could show some other live sport (hockey?). I would also imagine it could have been a bargaining chip from WWE to say that their ratings will rise if they opt for another night. I don't think it's necessarily AEW that has 'run them off Wednesday nights', but they will have had an impact on the decision.

EDIT: Just found this which says it's to do with one of the NBC channels shutting down and the programming merging.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2021/03/30/wwe-nxt-moving-to-tuesday-nights-as-aew-wins-a-timeline/

Edited by Nick James