The NXT Discussion Thread

DJM

Both nights of Takeover were highly enjoyable for me, not a single bad match to be had, be interesting to see how they follow up for their Tuesday debut and how the former Taya Valkyrie debuts. Also I wonder if one or two names show up on SD tonight as extra entrants in the Andre Battle Royal? 

Only watched Walter vs Ciampa and Gonzalez vs Io and both delivered. Fucking love Walter. He's the only legit looking guy on they have. Fairly simple, straight forward stuff with bore Ciampa that ended with a chop and it was compelling as fuck.

LOL at the wretched sounding main event. Adam Cole stinks and Shawn Michaels ruined wrestling.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I only watched the first night and that was enough for me. It was ...just fine. It was only two hours long and it still some how dragged. I enjoyed Walter/Ciampa and the tag title spotfest was fun, even if it went on a touch too long. Dunne vs KUSHIDA started strong, but they lost me after trying to cram ten pounds of shit into a two pound bag. Slow down lads. The gauntlet was a mess and I was more preoccupied browsing Twitter than giving the main event my full attention. 

Think I'll skip on the second night. I like Kyle O'Reily, but my lack of enjoyment of NXT can be directly correlated with Adam Cole making his way up the card. He still feels proper indy, even after five years honing his craft in developmental. 

Triple H and Shawn Michaels had an 'epic' best of three falls years ago that went way too long.
If these two are the ones running things in NXT then I guess that's what they consider an 'epic' to be. It's become a trend in NXT, sadly, and despite one or two matches it's just too damned long.

Have to say though, having not watched a full show of any modern wrestling in months I had both nights of NXT on as background yesterday and overall didn't mind most of it, some even made me stop what I was doing and watch it properly.
It was good having a live crowd there too, just made things much more watchable in my opinion.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Triple H and Shawn Michaels had an 'epic' best of three falls years ago that went way too long.

The Cell match was even worse and without the luxury of two extra falls to break up the tedium!

• Paid Members

Solid show again. I don’t think they’ll ever get back to where they once were but a more relaxed, non-competitive NXT is still a thousand times better than the panicked mess they put out for the past year or so.

Karrion Kross getting, “you deserve it!” chants. Fucking hell. I haven’t missed that. It’s crazy that for as much as I love Daniel Bryan, the legacy he’s left behind is mostly awful. “They won’t push me!” shoot promos and every fucker who ever wins a belt getting a, “You deserve it!” chant. Terrible.

Awkward promo from Kross, too. For a man who they think has it all he sure as hell can’t piece it all together and make it work.

MSK getting booed was interesting. Probably the closest we got to a true Raw-after-Wrestlemania moment. Imagine if they had proper crowds who could make a much larger noise. More people going against the greatness that is Drake Maverick would likely get the same treatment. Criminally underrated, that lad.

Nice moment with all the women celebrating with their belts. Poor Dakota Kai though. Where did she go? She seemed to awkwardly vanish into thin air to let the champions have their photo op. This must have been a last minute decision too, considering Bianca’s belt still had Sasha’s plates on it.

Kyle O’Reilly and Adam Cole both going to the hospital and bickering as their stretchers arrive together was the best unintentional comedy they’ve ever done. As if the length of their Takeover match hadn’t reached parody enough! I like the idea, I remember Nick Diaz and Joe Riggs had a similar incident once where they were still fighting at the hospital after their UFC fight. It did not work in execution though. Made both of them look like idiots. Is Regal on the creative team at all? He seems to have a brilliant sense of humour. They should be double checking with him before everything airs because stuff like this is complete comedy and does nothing for either guy considering it’s supposed to be a top tier blood feud. Real Ronda/Charlotte/Becky getting arrested energy. Hilarious and wildly entertaining, but the last thing you should be doing with your proper stars.

And by that same token, comedy correctly suited to a lower card act where it does work; Indy Hartwell might be my favourite character in all of wrestling right now. She’s brilliant. Who else could do the unthinkable and make me care about something involving Dexter Lumis! Her willingly getting kidnapped on this show was the clincher, but she’s subtly been the funniest part of NXT for weeks now. This still makes me laugh from their super entertaining therapy session the other week.

For as much as I wish they’d do a draft and shuffle up NXT’s roster, I’d be too scared they’d move people like Indi, Gargano or Cameron Grimes. They’re all absolutely nailing it at the moment, whereas they’d vanish into nothing on Raw or Smackdown.

Karrion Kross isn’t great, really. He’s got a decent look (though he looks too much like a garage music loving bouncer from 2003 to pull off the goth vibes they’re giving him - he looks like a man who’s downed a few snakebites in his time, wearing boot cut jeans, an affliction t-shirt and slip on brown loafers), is fine in the ring and cuts an okay promo.

He’s fine.

Scarlett Bordeaux is not. Her facials whilst he’s talking are something else. It’s like someone’s let a children’s entertainer loose to take the piss out of everything. Absolutely shocking.

• Paid Members

Maverick and Dains music has been whistling around my head all day, what a loveable odd couple they really are. 

Ripley turning up was a real shock moment, the Belair turned up and the moment was really well done. Gonzalez can't help but look really happy when she has the belt.

Does anyone know anything about Sarray? Any good? Will she work out in NXT?

Seen loads of bitching about Kushida being wasted and it taking close to two years to win a belt, but I'll be honest, to me he's a good hand to have a round, but he doesn't interest me much at all.

How long until we see Roddy running around backstage chasing R-Truth with the rest of the Raw goofs? Looks like Shafir must be going with him. Which also makes me think, where the hell did Jessamyn Duke go? Is she mainly propping up the WWE Games stuff rather than in ring now?

No Shirai or Balor was a bit of a shame, more so in Shirai's case, wonder if either of them will turn up on Smackdown this week. Shirai would be a great addition to that Women's roster.

The Way are brilliant, really fun. Who would have thought a year ago that Johnny Gargano would have changed and actually be a really good act again after the daft heel turn? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

And by that same token, comedy correctly suited to a lower card act where it does work; Indy Hartwell might be my favourite character in all of wrestling right now. She’s brilliant. Who else could do the unthinkable and make me care about something involving Dexter Lumis! Her willingly getting kidnapped on this show was the clincher, but she’s subtly been the funniest part of NXT for weeks now. This still makes me laugh from their super entertaining therapy session the other week.

I haven't watched much of NXT so not totally familiar with The Way...but I saw the below video today, have to admit, it made laugh: