Youtube Thread 2000

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 5/29/2024 at 2:49 PM, simonworden said:

That's a genuinely brilliant compilation tape apart from the entrance music dubbing. Was my 2nd ECW tape after one of the hour long PPV comps they released. The Cactus/Sandman barbed wire match really sold ECW to me and a lot of school pals. After lending it around it wasn't that match that had the rewind/pause tape damage. 

undubbed: https://archive.org/details/ecw-extreme-warfare-vol.2-january-15-1996-igdown.cc

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Oriental.wav what a banger. Man he was a beast in his day, a real shame his mental health derailed everything. 

Edited by JLM

It's great they're putting something like that on YouTube, they probably did so much data research that showed how few people bothered watching stuff like that on the Network, but at least do something with hidden gems like that....hopefully we see more like it.

• Paid Members

It was the Orient Express theme as well. The go-to music for anyone Japanese in the 90s. Them still using it all those years later doesn’t surprise me.

I remember seeing Morishima on NOAH and a bit on ROH in the TWC days and loving him. Lots of comparisons to Terry Gordy back then as I recall and you can definitely see the similarities both in build and his movement, plus the long hair and ring gear. What year were these tryouts? With Noble and Haas as the opponents I’m guessing 2006/07ish? Probably for the best he didn’t end up in WWE full time around that period. 

I really hope we get more dark/tryout matches and stuff filmed at house shows on that WWE Vault channel. I loved (and dearly miss) Hidden Gems, so this is a welcome surprise. 

As for the Morishima matches, I thought he looked pretty decent but he definitely came around a generation too early for WWE. Had his peak been during the height of black-and-gold NXT, he'd have been signed and pushed hard, I reckon. Hell of a talent before injuries and whatnot slowed him down.

I think the story on it was Laurinaitis was pushing for WWE to sign him, telling Michael Hayes he'd found 'the Japanese Terry Gordy' and then when Morishima actually showed up Hayes, Vince and Dunn basically agreed that he looked like a fat baby and that was pretty much that. 

WWE Vault now need to hurry up upload the 2007 dark match/in-ring workout between Malenko and Mistico (if it exists).

Spoiler

Match 6: What started as a four-man street fight in the main event ended up as ten men setting new standards for danger and intensity, with the post mortem in the dressing room looking more like the aftermath of the Battle of New Orleans (the real one, not the Eddie Gilbert angle. Konnan, Aguayo, Perro Aguayo Jr., Super Calo and Rey Misterio Jr. ended up in a 16-sided cage shaped like an eight-point star with Cibernetico, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera(who will be the best wrestler in the world in three years, if not sooner as he's a younger version of Chris Benoit right now), Halloween, and Damian. Besides the requisite broken tables and multitude of chair shots, came all kinds of stunts from numerous dives off the top of the cage and numerous dangerous stunts using a ladder. While the match wasn't as good as the Wrestlemania Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon ladder match, it was better than any of their other ladder matches. Among the stunts-- 1) With both Psicosis and Guerrera on the next to the top step of the ladder ready for a double-dive, Misterio Jr. did either a flying crossbody off the cage or a shoulderblock off the cage onto the ladder, tipping the ladder over, and Psicosis did a Brian Pillman spot where he on the way down caught his throat(or chin or face) on the top of the cage; 2) Psicosis did a Liger bomb on Aguayo Sr. through a table; 3 & 4) Misterio Jr. did Frankensteiners both off the top of the ladder and off the top of the cage; 5) Calo did a legdrop off the very top of the ladder; 6 & 7) With Psicosis on Konnan's shoulders, Misterio Jr. & Calo both came off the next to the top step of the ladder with a double clothesline and he took a flip bump. Misterio Jr. & Calo did the same thing, this time off the cage of the cage, onto Guerrera
who took an even better flip bump; ? Konnan power bombed Cibernetico through a table and part of the table shot onto his forehead causing a very deep cut which would up with an incredible amount of blood because of arterial damage; ? Calo came off the top of the cage with a chair under his butt and did a somersault like a Nakano somersault legdrop, both off the top of the cage with the chair underneath him, onto Psicosis; 9) Aguayo Jr. did a splash off the top of the cage, as did both Psicosis and Guerrera; 10) Guerrera did a dropkick off the top of the cage; 11) Cibernetico did a Muto handspring elbow into the corner but Konnan caught him around the waist and gave him a german suplex (Keiji Muto/Rick Steiner spot). There was a lot more, but those were the highlights and you get the picture. Anyway, after 14:28 of this carnage, the babyfaces climbed the cage and escaped to win, Cibernetico was left in the ring dead doing a Shawn Michaels gimmick, and Konnan was legitimately taken to the hospital and needed 33
stitches-- 18 inside the head to repair the opened up artery. Everyone else except for Aguayo, Aguayo Jr. and Guerrera were hobbling around with knee, hip, and ankle problems. Cien Caras was long gone before any of the "fun" started. Konnan set up the entire match with his regular Tijuana crew changing it from a UFC style match as had been planned to a match combining all the craziest spots he'd seen on ECW and Sabu tapes (minus the cage dive through three tables at once) and adding twists that had never been done before in ECW because this crew is smaller and more versatile and skillful.

Putting the review in spoiler tags because it's pretty long.