2021 Celebrity Death Thread

Magnum Milano

The entire explosion of Hyperpop artists right now started with her, she's a genuine pioneer in pop music. For me she was on that level of an Aphex Twin, when you first hear their music you know this is something genuinely new. Fuck, even Autechre had only just remixed one of her songs.

• Paid Members

Dustin Diamond who played Screech in Saved by the Bell has died of cancer aged 44.

I'm a bit surprised how much this one just hit me. I spent a lot of time studying SBTB during my dissertation and it was always sad to see just how much his career and life in recent years had been so difficult as most the other cast members were on a bit of a renaissance.

He always seemed like the cast member that was really screwed from being typecast in a role once the show ended, who wasn't seen as the heart throb or the jock so was being used for much of his adolescent life (being younger than the other cast) as a running joke and someone to make fun of.

With the reboot happening, part of me did hope he'd be able to bury the old hatchets he had with a lot of the cast, because he's probably as important to that show as Zack was.

He was only diagnosed less than a month ago as well, I remembered reading he was sick but thought he'd have had more time than this.

Going down a YouTube rabbit hole tonight I think.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I bet some monster who did a SBTB book will take advantage of this  if not I’ll be disappointed. 

One hell of a book as well. 

Forget SBTB. Might have to find Hulk Hogans Celebrity Championship Wrestling to watch him tear it up with Dennis Rodman and Butterbean. 

46 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I bet some monster who did a SBTB book will take advantage of this  if not I’ll be disappointed. 

"Updated version, now with 16.66% dead cast!" 

But seriously, sad shit. A childhood icon, and a reminder of my very early upbringing as Anthony, the only one with a Commodore 64 and Sensible Soccer on the estate, was the spit of him and affectionately known as Screech. 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'll not actively court it, because I fear he'll haunt me (and it's as much as I deserve), but I have already seen a bump in sales.

The sole thing that allowed me to financially survive the first couple of months of Lockdown 1 was the royalties for all the books about Derek Acorah being a mad old fraud I sold on the week that he died. I'm an actual ghoul.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

It is a heck of a book. You've got to feel for Dustin in SBTB as he had to play an older character while everybody else played younger characters. That must have been tough, whether you believe the allegations about the "sex orgies" or not. Plus 44 isn't much of an age. I didn't realise he was quite as close to my age as he was.