Worst in Wrestling 2020 NOMINATIONS

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

This should be easy this year.

You can nominate until 10th January.

Please nominate up to three choices for each of the following awards, clearly stating the specific award your nominations are for. Nominations are important - the most popular will go through to a vote in January.

If you want to give reasons or arguments why you've made your picks, please do.

Worst pro wrestler - any male or female singles wrestler or tag team applies here

Worst match of the year

Worst Event

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year)

Stupidest Moment of the Year

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler - Otis. Pushed for no reason, rightly being demoted.

Worst match of the year - MITB Main Event. Wyatt vs Strowman Swamp Match

Worst Event - The Horror Show at Extreme Rules, Every episode of Raw.

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year) Edge's return, Wrestlemania

Stupidest Moment of the Year - Ray's eye gouge, Orton committing murder on The Fiend.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Worst Pro Wrestler- Dexter Lumis

Worst Match of the Year- Haunted House match on Halloween Havoc

Worst Event- Wrestlemania 36 second night

Biggest Letdown- Miro

Stupidest moment of the year- The booking of Rhea Ripley. She was the winner of the main event on a NXT that thrashed AEW on 18/12 last year and one year on it feels like they have dropped the ball on her. 

• Paid Members

Worst Pro Wrestler - Aliyah. I don’t know how she’s still got a job. And the fact she was used on tv more than Deonna Purrazzo is baffling. Dexter Lumis. Ridge Holland. 

Worst Match - Bray Wyatt vs Strowman Swamp Match. Edge vs Randy Orton at Wrestlemania

Worst Event - Wrestlemania. I know it couldn’t be helped because it was at the start of the pandemic. But it was just so terrible. The Horror Show at Extreme Rules

Biggest Letdown - Miro in AEW. Brock vs Drew at Wrestlemania. 

Stupidest Moment - Reys “eye” popping out and everything after it. Breaking up the Iconics. They’re so much better together. The handling of the men’s MITB briefcase. 

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler - Luther is the only bloke in AEW I see no upside in at all. The Fiend is constantly involved in some of the worst WWE matches and moments of the past 5 years and somehow gets a pass, but he's rubbish, and no amount of half-decent cryptic promos will convince me otherwise. Michael Nakazawa isn't funny or very good at all, but at least Taz and Excalibur usually provide a chuckle during his matches.

Worst match of the year - The Fiend vs John Cena and Undertaker vs AJ Styles kickstarted the Cinematic wrestling bollocks which, outside of Stadium Stampede, has always been terrible. Luther & Serpentico vs Jericho & Hager was one of those matches so bad that Luther had to pop on Twitter afterwards to defend himself against the backlash.

Worst Event - Wrestlemania taking place in the Impact Wrestling empty garage setting then being headlined by two cinematic matches was one to forget. 

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year) - AEW Womens Tag Tournament seemed like it might kickstart a faltering division but was another Brandi Rhodes vanity project, and then they pussied out of having her win it!

Stupidest Moment of the Year -  Matt Hardy vs Sammy Guevara continuing after Hardy nearly died, Everyone continues to go through their spots while Alex Reynolds is knocked out and because I can't pick out a single Fiend moment as his enitre shite career merges into one, instead it'll be MITB Match where Daniel Bryan and somebody else stopped fighting for a World Title opportunity because Vinces Spitting Image puppet was giving them a bollocking.

• Awards Moderator

Worst pro wrestler

1) Retribution  - I mean, SLAPJACK. I ask you.

2) The Nightmare Collective - no no no thanks.

3) Kris Statlander - ditch the alien stuff and the booping and there might be something there. With it, nope.

Honourable mention to Nia Jax. 

Worst match of the year

I'm sure there have been plenty but none come to mind. You could make a case for most of the empty arena matches and most of the cinematic ones too. Special mention to WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov on NXT U.K., though, for being the absolute opppsite of what I’ve considered good pro wrestling.

Worst Event

1) WrestleMania (nights 1 and 2) - not their fault because of the pandemic, but see below.

1) Most of WrestleMania - partly not their fault because of the pandemic, but Drew's big moment, Lynch-Bazsler, Edge's big return match (though I will say The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever was one of the highlights of the empty arena era),  Goldberg-Reigns and many more big moments fell utterly flat because of those circumstances.

2) Alex Shelley FINALLY gets to WWE... for one night - they made Kushida interesting! Alex Shelley! In WWE! And that was it, one match and done. Whether he wanted to be there or not is irrelevant to me - I'd have loved a proper Shelley run.

3) Not being able to properly watch any WWE matches because of all the fucking camera cuts - STOP IT!

1) Rey Mysterio gets his eye gouged out - for fuck's sake

2) Bray Wyatt is murdered with fire - as above

3) Matt Hardy vs Sammy Guevara is allowed to continue - should never have happened.

Honourable mention to Alex Reynolds being knocked out during a match and the match being allowed to continue while he lay there unconscious. Terrible and should not be forgotten.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Worst pro wrestler 

1. Brandi Rhodes

2. QT Marshall

3. Matt Hardy 

Worst match of the year

1. Big Swole vs. Britt Baker, Reba and Penelope Ford (Dynamite, 27th August)

2. Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara (Broken Rules match) - given how irresponsible this was, how could it not be nominated?

3. Chris Jericho & Jake Hager vs.  Luther & Serpentico

Worst Event

1. WWE Raw, in general ( @Onyx2 - does this count? It's hard to pick out a specific episode...)

2. Wrestlemania

3. WWE Money in the Bank

1. Miro in AEW (so far, anyway)

2. Wrestlemania 

3. Matt Hardy in AEW

1. Matt Hardy being allowed to continue in his Broken Rules match with Sammy Guevara

2. Rey Mysterio gets his eye gouged out

3. Randy Orton murders The Fiend

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler - QT Marshall. 

Worst match of the year - MITB. Cena/Wyatt. 

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year) - The Undertaker documentary. The Boneyard Match. The Thunderdome.

Stupidest Moment of the Year - They turned Roman Reigns heel with no crowds. That's the stupidest fucking moment since WrestleMania 17.

Worst pro wrestler- Nia Jax. The fact that she's incorporated how dangerous and reckless she is into her gimmick doesn't make her any better. If any other wrestler- i.e. not related to the Samoan Dynasty- had fucked up and injured people as much as she had, she'd be out of a job.

Worst Match- Luther/Serpentico vs. Jericho/Hager. Jericho did his old mate a favour by using his own 30th anniversary show to give him a spotlight, and it resulted in one of the worst matches Jericho's ever been involved in. I hope Luther is a great help backstage at AEW, otherwise he definitely deserves his pink slip.

Biggest Letdown- Wrestlemania. I realise it was outside WWE's control, but it was still an awful show outside of the cinematic stuff. Pro wrestling just doesn't work in an empty room, at least for me. The only interaction the wrestlers were able to have was with Michael Cole, because they could hear him perfectly while wrestling to silence.

Stupidest Moment- MITB. Both the result and the action. I was curious to see how they handled a match at WWE HQ, we got "comedy" that was even bad grading on WWE's curve, and an absolutely ridiculous winner who was never going anywhere near a major title, as the Miz switch proved. Was it the first time they ever took the briefcase off someone when they were perfectly healthy? (Well, as healthy as Otis is, anyway)

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler - Matt Sydal

Worst match of the year some boring match I don't remember

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year) Wrestlemania not trying anything to make up for the oppressive silence of the performance centre.

Stupidest Moment of the Year Matt Sydal fucking up the shooting star press (the only thing he's known for) instantly after debuting 

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler - The Fiend Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman, Seth Rollins as The Messiah. The promos were complete fast forward material. 

Worst match of the year - Swamp match (Wyatt Vs Strowman), Edge Vs Orton @ Wrestle Mania, Money in The Bank ladder match

Worst Event - Extreme Rules, Money In The Bank, Wrestle Mania. 

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year) - Goldberg Vs Reigns not happening at a proper Wrestle Mania, Miro's run in AEW to date. 

Matt Riddle being pushed as a babyface following the Speaking out allegations he faced. Tone deaf.

Alex Reynolds getting knocked out and the match continuing without anybody noticing.

Matt Hardy getting knocked out, the match gets restarted and he is expected to climb a scaffold. 

Honourable mentions to Retribution, Raw Underground and Camera cuts. Not sure where I would put any of these in the categories above, but they all deserve to be highlighted for the shite that they were. 

Edited by WeeAl