Worst in Wrestling 2020 NOMINATIONS

Onyx2

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler Charlotte Flair, Cody Rhodes, Seth Rollins

Worst match of the year - Drew McIntyre vs. Brock Lesnar (WM36)

Worst Event - Money In The Bank 

Biggest letdown - The Fiend 

Stupidest Moment of the Year - Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler

Brandi Rhodes is the absolute worst. The only thing she's done this year that was any good was her tiny cameo in the Cody/MJF whipping angle. Other than that it's been the usual vanity projects and Poundland Stephanie McMahon tweener character. Pretty much everything she's involved in suffers for having her out there. The pinnacle is still that incredible Brodie Lee/Cody pull apart where she started doing fucking planchas like Teddy Hart. I bet the entire roster breathed a sigh of relief when it came out she was pregnant and wouldn't be around as much.

Nia Jax spent a year away and came back exactly the same. Everything looks like shit and there are far too many injuries to her opponents for anyone to still claim plausible deniability. Kairi Sane has a genuine case to sue them for unsafe working conditions.

Nia Jax Hits HORRIBLE Botch On Kairi Sane During WWE Raw

WWE Raw Highlights This Week: Nia Jax Injures Kairi Sane Again

Criminal. No wonder she quit the company. She'd probably be dead by now if she hadn't.

It's harsh voting someone based on a single performance, but I can't remember the last time someone shat the bed in such a prominent position as Luther did in that Dynamite main event. Sucking wind, stumbling all over the place, Jericho must have been so embarrassed for getting him that spot. Awful.

Worst match of the year 

Edge vs. Randy Orton at Wrestlemania was fucking torture. Went on forever, super boring, and then Edge blocked me on Twitter for criticising it. Grow up, mate.

Money in The Bank had the potential to be a good laugh but all it highlighted was how creatively bankrupt this company has become. Zero laughs, with everyone involved looking like a prick and coming out of it worse than they went in. The way they seemingly recorded Stephanie McMahon's bit on an iPhone 5 remains incredible too.

Matt Hardy vs. Sammy Guevara left me genuinely angry and ruined the rest of the event after putting me in such a bad mood. One of the most irresponsible things I can remember seeing in pro-wrestling, made all the worse by people claiming they did tests on Matt to confirm he could continue. When?! We watched it in real time. They didn't stop for a second once he regained consciousness and began stumbling around. Bush league.

Worst Event

Extreme Rules, Money in the Bank, Wrestlemania.

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year)

Seth Rollins turning heel at the start of the year, showing promise in that role and exciting me that they'd finally listened to the fans...and then having the worst year of his career. Terrible character cutting the same boring promo week in and week out and not only having the worst feud of all time with Rey Mysterio, but somehow managing to make it last the whole fucking year. Dreadful.

Matt Hardy arriving in AEW and immediately proving WWE were correct in their assessment of his creative abilities. Shit idea after shit idea. With a roster that bloated he'd be one of the first guys I'd cut. He's useless.

Thunderdome amounting to just a few extra LED screens. I don't even know what I was expecting, but this was the ultimate of disappointments. I read an article the other day that proposed the reason Pixar are the very best at what they do is because they're on the cutting edge of technology whilst also having the best artists to maximise that technology's potential. It spoke volumes for why I find WWE so disappointing. All that technology at their disposal and they manage to do nothing with it. No artistry. No clever ideas. Nothing interest or exciting. Everything purposely looks exactly the same now, then and forever.

Stupidest Moment of the Year

Everyone continuing to wrestle around an unconscious Alex Reynolds. And then Alex Reynolds trying to defend the company afterwards.

Rey Mysterio losing an eye.

NXT creative deciding endless ladder matches is an acceptable substitute for engaging characters and storylines.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

To think that Seth Rollins copped a massive amount of abuse for a similar move on Sting (which Sting himself said was just an accident) and yet Nia Jax is STILL swanning around being absolutely rubbish and exceptionally dangerous. I hadn't seen the above clip but that is a shocker. She wins this award hands down.

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spelling

• Paid Members

Worst pro wrestler
Nia Jax - I haven't watched a full WWE show since Mania but every time I hear about Nia Jax or see clips on Reddit it's because she's injured someone. She was like that when I did watch it too. A complete liability hired entirely through nepotism.

Brandi Rhodes - See above re: nepotism. Shoehorned into multiple programs on the show despite being good at none of them. Shit face, worse heel. Runs that AEW Heels scam where if you're a woman you have the honour of paying them to post on a forum?!

Worst match of the year
Matt Hardy vs Sammy Guevara - Hardy nearly dies and they carry on the match, then make some horrific angle of out it in the blowoff match.

Worst Event
WWE Wrestlamania - The only WWE show I watched all year was worse than any other wrestling PPV I watched. It's not entirely their fault, it was the start of the pandemic and they hadn't quite worked out what to do with crowd noises yet, but even so the card itself was forgettable outside of the Undertaker vs AJ match. Edge vs Orton is still going on now isn't it?

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year)
Matt Hardy in AEW. Has done nothing of note at all. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a career resurgence or anything because he's old and moves like a South Park character, but what he has offered up is worthless and the Hardyverse stuff has been done better by other people since. Fair play to him though for essentially creating a match type that is useful for the year we had.

Stupidest Moment of the Year
Matt Hardy cracks his head open and keeps wrestling

Worst pro wrestler - Nia Jax is always a good shout. Evening with all the additional training, she's still reckless and utterly clueless.

Worst match of the year - Nothing bored me quite like the Orton vs Edge snoozefest from Wrestlemania. Way too long and the golf commentary didn't exactly enhance the excitement.  I still can't believe that this was Edge's return singles match after 9 years. 

Worst Event - This might be controversial, but AEW All Out. Not only did we see Matt Hardy nearly kill himself in that horrendously irresponsible Broken Rules match with Sammy Guevara, we also got some of the worst examples of cinematic wrestling with Big Swole vs Britt Baker opening up the show. FTR went nearly half hour with Omega and Page in a dull match with little pay-off. The Young Bucks had their weekly run-of-the-mill spotfest with Jurassic Express. The show dragged on big time and it was this point that I realised AEW wasn't for me. 

Biggest letdown (Anticlimax of the Year) - The Fiend. I dig the presentation and I actually enjoyed the match with Cena, but I'm completely done with him by this point. Having him appear every week doing some of the silliest stuff in wrestling since we had Kane and Undertaker feuding back in the Attitude Era has killed his aura. That Swamp match with Strowman was one of the worst matches this year. Every time I see a clip from Raw involving him with Alexa Bliss makes me embarrassed to be a fan. 

Stupidest Moment of the Year - The Eye For An Eye match. Enough said. 

Worst Wrestler - Nia Jax, there isn’t anyone else male or female in WWE, AEW or elsewhere 

Worst Match - I’ve enjoyed most of the cinematic matches but for one, The Fiend vs Braun Strowman

Worst Event - Extreme Rules

Biggest Letdown - Everything in the wrestling industry from March onwards being impacted by COVID, prime examples being WWE going from planning Wrestlemania for a huge football stadium to having to hold it in an empty Performance Centre, AEW having to permanently base themselves at Daily’s Place, ROH and Impact running empty arena shows and NWA stopping entirely for several months

Stupidest Moment - Kairi Sane, Matt Hardy and Alex Reynolds getting needlessly injured and their respective matches being allowed to continue 

• Onyx2 locked this topic