Jump to content

Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just had a cross-trivia moment. I realised I didn't know what made Padel different from tennis and squash, so looked it up, and saw this in the history of it.

 

Quote

 

The sport was invented in 1969 in Acapulco, Mexico,[4] by Enrique Corcuera,[1][5] after he modified his squash court to incorporate elements of platform tennis.[6] Initially, he called it "Padel Corcuera". In the beginning, courts used concrete walls and surfaces, which obscured visibility for spectators. To improve the viewing experience and gameplay, these were eventually replaced by glass walls and artificial turf.[7]

Corcuera had many friends who came to visit him, trying out the new sport he had invented, amongst them Frank Sinatra and Henry Kissinger.[1] One of his friends was Alfonso of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, who learned about padel visiting Corcuera in Acapulco.

 

 

Which reminded me of this posted yesterday, and @Fog Dude's follow-up that it's an old posho German family.

On 10/7/2026 at 8:34 AM, Statto said:

Screenshot_20261007_083333_LinkedIn.thumb.jpg.9f35e23203e19c073540e4691c7123a2.jpg

 

  • Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The best ones are the ones who just write "Redacted", which is Letterboxd shorthand for "Yeah I got to see this before all you poor cunts".

Absolute wankers. Just like music journalists who say albums have landed in their emails and "boy, I can't wait for you all to hear this one!" Get FUCKED!

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

We should start a UKFF podcast

UKFF poocast more like eh!!!!

Posted
6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Just had a cross-trivia moment. I realised I didn't know what made Padel different from tennis and squash, so looked it up, and saw this in the history of it.

 

 

Which reminded me of this posted yesterday, and @Fog Dude's follow-up that it's an old posho German family.

 

So that's where I heard the name! I think one of his relatives was the sole representative of Mexico at a past Winter Olympics, in skiing?

That's one minor annoyance put to bed then. As for padel: a whole load of new courts just opened up down the road from here, but whenever my Dad visits he'd prefer to find somewhere to play pickleball instead these days.

Posted
7 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Guessing you've already joined the local Padel club then?

I've decided I'm going to get well into coffee and buy tent box. I've already got a robust vinyl collection sorted.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...