• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

The Hobbit never winning an Oscer galls me. Lost again this year. Let's hope that Oscer does the right thing for us Hobbitheads and it wins next year.

Here's a real treat for all you Hobbit Heads out there. :  r/OnCinemaAtTheCinema

• Paid Members

Finally finished All of Us Are Dead on Netflix. It's far longer than it needs to be at 12 episodes and its pacing and use of characters is pretty shit at times but it's still got enough going for it to persevere with it, the action is really good especially. I hope the next series is half the length though.

• Paid Members

I was round seeing my gran the other day and she had the Smithsonian channel on. It looks to be comprised mainly of documentaries about warships and some bloke talking over footage of places filmed from the air. It's the lowest effort dip in dip out background noise television in the world. Not even the adverts are particularly intrusive. Proper old people's television. 

I finished Severance last night. For those not in the know it’s about a group of workers who have a chip installed in to their brains so that their work selfs (innies) and out of work selfs (outies) are completely separate people with no recollection of what goes on either side of the work/home divide. It’s a great concept and has a really good cast. It also has the most surprisingly heartbreaking love story you’ll see on tv this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure it was recommended on here but now onto the third season of “Ghosts”. I’ve never seen Horrible Histories but only heard wonderful things. If this is the kind of thing they produce it’s not surprising. A really lovely, funny, and well observed comedy. I love how each ghost is still of their own time and how they are all brilliantly deep characters. Simon Farnaby As Julian Fawcett MP is superb, as you’d expect from him. Every character brings something to the table and the ensemble work so well together. 

• Members
27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve never seen Horrible Histories but only heard wonderful things

I reckon you'd love it. Stupid Deaths is one of the greatest things ever on TV.

This weeks Derry Girls contained a wonderful nod to Father Ted which made me so happy. Such a wonderful show.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sure it was recommended on here but now onto the third season of “Ghosts”. I’ve never seen Horrible Histories but only heard wonderful things. If this is the kind of thing they produce it’s not surprising. A really lovely, funny, and well observed comedy. I love how each ghost is still of their own time and how they are all brilliantly deep characters. Simon Farnaby As Julian Fawcett MP is superb, as you’d expect from him. Every character brings something to the table and the ensemble work so well together. 

Ghost is brilliant. Horrible Histories is still my favourite thing they've done, but it's a really close-run thing. Quite a different style - kid's sketch comedy - but there's some hilarious scenes in there. Just make sure you're watching series 1 - 5, they changed up the cast after that and it lost all its appeal/quality.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Try Yonderland too, this troupe are brilliant in everything they do. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Simon Farnaby of course would go on to write Paddington 1&2 as well as the Phantom of the Open which is also delightful

• Members

Heartstopper 

I tell you something, it takes a LOT to wake my 12yo up when it isn't school, so the fact that she woke up at 7am on Friday during the half term to watch this all in one go speaks volumes. She's bloody obsessed.

What a wonderful little show. For those that don't know, its based on the graphic novels (superb as well) by Alice Oseman and is a very simple tale of "Boy meets boy, they become friends, then they fall in love" but that's massively simplifying it and doing it a bit of a disservice. 

It's funny, sad, is wonderfully shot, has a great soundtrack and most importantly of all, is incredibly important representation. 

I can imagine for young queer kids, this means absolutely everything to them, to see this on TV and that is genuinely wonderful and can only be a good thing. And Olivia Colman is in it.

Very wholesome as well, I'd say you'd be fine with pre-teens watching this. 

Apparently it's all 12yo and her mates talked about all day back at school, and now I have to arrange a "Heartstopper themed birthday party" in November. Lovely stuff :)

Massive recommend.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed watching the last 2 episode sog the fifth series of Schitt's Creek. The one with the proposal, and the performance of Cabaret. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Really enjoyed watching the last 2 episode sog the fifth series of Schitt's Creek. The one with the proposal, and the performance of Cabaret. 

I was surprised by Schitt’s Creek. Really enjoyed it. Doesn’t often hit the highs of some other sitcoms but never gets bad.