On 4/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, SuperBacon said:

Heartstopper 

I tell you something, it takes a LOT to wake my 12yo up when it isn't school, so the fact that she woke up at 7am on Friday during the half term to watch this all in one go speaks volumes. She's bloody obsessed.

What a wonderful little show. For those that don't know, its based on the graphic novels (superb as well) by Alice Oseman and is a very simple tale of "Boy meets boy, they become friends, then they fall in love" but that's massively simplifying it and doing it a bit of a disservice. 

It's funny, sad, is wonderfully shot, has a great soundtrack and most importantly of all, is incredibly important representation. 

I can imagine for young queer kids, this means absolutely everything to them, to see this on TV and that is genuinely wonderful and can only be a good thing. And Olivia Colman is in it.

Very wholesome as well, I'd say you'd be fine with pre-teens watching this. 

Apparently it's all 12yo and her mates talked about all day back at school, and now I have to arrange a "Heartstopper themed birthday party" in November. Lovely stuff :)

Massive recommend.

Heartstopper Series 2

I honestly don't think people understand what an important show this is for young LGBTQ people and it's quite mad that it hasn't had more written/said/spoken about it. Netflix should be screaming about this from the rooftops the massive weirdos. 

Sure we had Queer As Folk growing up, which was groundbreaking, but I probably wouldn't let my 13yo watch it (although I would've been 14 when it came out. No pun intended) so it must be so amazing for young queer kids to see such an array of representation in one show that is aimed at them.

And its a good show! Its really well written, fantastically acted and is just brilliantly made. There are also some really important themes broached which lends it some heft, but it's generally fairly light going. The scene in the last episode with Nick and Charlie made me shed a few tears such was the impact.

Watching these two series with my eldest has been some of the best experiences I've had watching TV. A massive recommendation still. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Me and Mrs Scorch had a rare childfree day so decided to do what married couples do when in that situation. Binged something we’ve been meaning to watch.

The Curious Case of Natalia Grace is one of the strangest true crime stories we’ve watched. Just when you think you know where it’s going, it switches the path. Watched all 6 (with a brief interlude to go out for dinner) today as we had to know the end. Go in knowing as little as possible. It’s on Discovery+.

• Paid Members

The Bear

Just an absolute masterpiece. It's so beautifully shot and scored, and it is the only show that gives me a panic attack. I have rarely felt euphoria and emotion like I did when Ritchie was singing Taylor Swift in the Forks episode. 

• Paid Members
On 8/1/2023 at 4:50 PM, CleetusVanDamme said:

Halfway through Twisted Metal. It's pretty mid, which is a minor miracle given what it's based on. There's been a couple of bits that were funny, it's always moving, lots of action. Samoa Joe's physical charisma in episode 5 is pretty impressive, he's actually good at this! Half hour episodes make it a pretty easy watch. All the ingredients for a guilty pleasure.

They need to be building up to a car battling tournament where the winner is granted a wish by the devil or whatever the games were about though. I'm all about that stupidity.

Done now.

Spoiler

They're doing it! If it even gets a second season. I hope this doesn't end up like the Sarah Connor Chronicles where I'm pining for a conclusion to a show I don't even like much just because of an unresolved finale.

Sweet Tooth's head should have been on fire the whole time, just because.

It stayed okay up until the end. The hit-rate on the jokes got better as it went on and I grew fond of Quiet. 5/10. Big apology for assuming it was going to be worse than Dead Shitty and Shitadel.

Going to try Lioness: Special Ops next. It looks pretty generic, but If I see "written by Taylor Sheridan" I'm trying it. Cast looks good too.

On 8/4/2023 at 8:12 PM, SuperBacon said:

Heartstopper Series 2

I honestly don't think people understand what an important show this is for young LGBTQ people and it's quite mad that it hasn't had more written/said/spoken about it. Netflix should be screaming about this from the rooftops the massive weirdos. 

Sure we had Queer As Folk growing up, which was groundbreaking, but I probably wouldn't let my 13yo watch it (although I would've been 14 when it came out. No pun intended) so it must be so amazing for young queer kids to see such an array of representation in one show that is aimed at them.

And its a good show! Its really well written, fantastically acted and is just brilliantly made. There are also some really important themes broached which lends it some heft, but it's generally fairly light going. The scene in the last episode with Nick and Charlie made me shed a few tears such was the impact.

Watching these two series with my eldest has been some of the best experiences I've had watching TV. A massive recommendation still. 

Agreed on Heartstopper. As someone who only came out last year the scenes of anxiety that Nick showed about coming out massively resonated with me. Such an important show and as you say deserves wider recognition. 

Depends what you mean by traction. It's incredibly difficult to know the success of streaming shows.

I wouldn't say it's a Netflix thing per se. Arguably there's just too many fucking options and too much content now. Mad to moan about but it does mean we're absolutely swamped and people move on REALLY quickly from stuff these days. It never used to be like that.

There are a lot of shows we have now that deserve more attention but it doesn't take long for something else to come along.

I think Netflix especially seem happy to let their shows live or die on word of mouth. A lot of it is people our age not being as switched on to the methods of promotion like TikTok  and various other social media platforms etc but it is mad that they spend £100m on an action film then send it out to die because the 40 year old blokes that watch action films mostly use social media to promote their shits and chippy tea choices.

Amazon is even worse as it doesn’t even have the word of mouth thing going for it. 

• Paid Members
On 8/1/2023 at 11:37 PM, Butch2000 said:

Wiped a tear away  watching the end of the new series of The Righteous Genstones. What an amazing programme it is. Season 4 has a lot to live upto as that ending was perfect.

It really was superb. I thought after watching it that it would be the perfect way to end the series, with everyone putting aside their differences and coming together at the end.

Season 4 should be interesting as they basically have to start again in terms of where the characters are. We can't have a season where everyone gets along surely?

Needs more Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers.