Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

TFTM might be pretty grim, but I'll still take it over Bayhem any day. The modern movies are a classic example of a franchise or characters getting Vinny-Macced into oblivion, with what got them over ignored and reduced to a photo shoehorned into whatever angle they wanted to shoot. "They're robots and cars and they fight!" Optimus Prime is my dad, you fuck!

Bay Films

My biggest criticism of these bastardisations (and I have many) is how small a role the robots actually play in large portions of the films which feature wayyyy too much of human beings reactions to them. Nobody gives a fuck about Sam acclimatising to his new college dorm mates or Marky Mark struggling to oppress his jailbait daughter. Compare how many scenes in G1 cartoons or Prime (for examples) linger on what the flesh creatures are doing with no robot presence in the scene ; there aren’t many. What’s all this trash about military guys mobilising, jumping out of planes or “popping green smoke?” I’m literally only here to watch giant robots fighting. I once skim watched the 4th (and worst) film skipping every scene with zero robot involvement and just annoying human jibba jabba, and I got it down to about an hour watch. When you think how long that piece of shit was in total, it’s really saying something.

Because Bay doesn't see the characters, just robots and cars. His entire career was so expertly summed up by South Park, it's incredible. "But Michael, that's not a movie; that's a special effect." "I... don't think I know the difference."

It boggles my mind that Spielberg has a production credit on these things. I wonder if he's even watched them, and then I remember the story of him sitting next to Bay at a screening of the first, giggling and punching him in the arm when 'cool robot stuff' happened.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Because Bay doesn't see the characters, just robots and cars. His entire career was so expertly summed up by South Park, it's incredible. "But Michael, that's not a movie; that's a special effect." "I... don't think I know the difference."

That is literally the first thing I think of when talking about Michael Bay.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

As regards Ultra Magnus, I too was disappointed by the treatment he got in the film, as I had the toy (although was surprised by just how much his lorry section looked a lot like Prime, just in white - I was still young and unfamiliar with manufacturing processes at that point, so didn't realise they'd just used the same cast)

At first, I thought it was meant to be the ghost of Prime, somehow contained within the armour.

• Paid Members

Love me some TFTM. Soundtrack from Amazon is permanently downloaded in my phone. Great movie. 

Went to see the first one at the cinema. I'd heard Bay was working on it as some generic Sci fi movie, then had the Transformers licence dropped in his lap and decided to just shoehorn them into what he already had. I wanted to leave after the voice-over at the beginning, because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. The bit where they're tiptoeing around the Witwicky's garden while I'm trying not to shout "transform already" at them was most frustrating. Haven't bothered since. I think I happened across the second one in Film4 once, but it was just a load of brown and I had no idea which robot was which.

Might give Bumblebee a watch though, and I should see whether I can remember where I was up to with that subtitled version of Headmasters when I was watching it on whatever site it was uploaded to when I was last watching it.

EDIT: The closing theme is a cracker as well, but I couldn't find it with subtitles. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Might give Bumblebee a watch though, and I should see whether I can remember where I was up to with that subtitled version of Headmasters when I was watching it on whatever site it was uploaded to when I was last watching it.

Bumblebee is definitely worth a watch. Much better look to it than the mess of the Bayverse. Even has Cena in it.

If you track down a source for the Headmasters series. Please do share the details. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

At first, I thought it was meant to be the ghost of Prime, somehow contained within the armour.

Wow, that's reignited a memory - I think I might have suspected the same thing.

• Paid Members

I went to Amsterdam back when I was 19 and whilst all my mates were getting high I drank a bunch of beer and bought myself Trypticon from a local comic shop. Also the only time I ever saw ECW action figures.

Regarding the bay films. Its actually responsible for nearly killing my love of transformers. The first film I think actually has about an hour of a good film in it somewhere. But every sequel just got worse and worse. The last bay directed one was the last straw.

I care about Optimus Prime's character traits possibly to an unhealthy degree. Having him execute Decepticons and what not made me feel really horrible and turned me right off Transformers for a long time. Not only that but it was a horrifically shit film too. To the point it made me really angry.

Bumblebee was really good mind you and it really helped start mending my interest in the franchise. I haven't been collecting the toys for years but I bought a couple on a whim last year and I got the proper itch again. That's partly why I started this thread. When I'm discussing or reading about stuff I like it fires me up.

Re the Headmasters Japanese series. I actually have the complete DVD boxset somewhere. Had it for probably about 15 years and never cracked it open. They any good? Always thought it might be a slog not having the characters proper voices.

Can't help with a Sub version but here's a dub

Transformers - Headmasters Watch Cartoons Online.tv

31 minutes ago, DEF said:

Can't help with a Sub version but here's a dub

Transformers - Headmasters Watch Cartoons Online.tv

Ta for that link

It has Voltron in it's entireity too which is good as it'snarrated by and good ole Optimus Prime and has most of the same voice cast too :)

https://www.thewatchcartoononline.tv/armored-fleet-dairugger-xv-episode-1-english-dubbed

1 hour ago, DEF said:

I care about Optimus Prime's character traits possibly to an unhealthy degree. Having him execute Decepticons and what not made me feel really horrible and turned me right off Transformers for a long time. Not only that but it was a horrifically shit film too. To the point it made me really angry.

It reminds me of this lovely story that popped up on my feed last week, Peter Cullen describing his Vietnam vet brother Larry as the inspiration for Prime:

https://youtu.be/zryfjSaxXLo

"Be strong enough to be gentle."

I think every interview with the cast of an 80s toy cartoon show I've seen, there's a real sense of how serious a lot of those actors were in elevating the material and trying to be real role models for their kiddie viewers. It's a wonderful positive slant on what you'd assume was a pretty cynical marketing exercise.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chris B said:

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Wow, that's reignited a memory - I think I might have suspected the same thing.

Actually, having properly racked my memory, I think I might have thought he was Prime's brother, in the same way they regularly talked about Starscream and Skywarp, and Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Actually, having properly racked my memory, I think I might have thought he was Prime's brother, in the same way they regularly talked about Starscream and Skywarp, and Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.

You might remember it that way, but it wasn’t.

Bay Movies

People who have (wisely) avoided the Bay films, I suggest give Bumblebee a go. There are some great G1 style sequences set on Cybertron, most of the humans don’t distract from the robot-driven story (Cena is brilliant) and my only minor quibbles are that there is a near perfect Starscream design ‘con but they have to call it Blitzwing because in the movies they already made Starscream a hideous mutant insect/triangle, and that “Dropkick” is a rubbish name for a Decepticon. But I’m being really picky. It’s a lot of fun.

I actually thought the first Bay one was decent, but everything since was awful. Shame, if you’d told me Soundwave, Ravage, Sideswipe and Devastator would be introduced in the second one, Laserbeak and Shockwave would feature heavily in the third which would basically tell a story of The Ultimate Doom crossed with Megatrons Master Plan, the fourth would feature Dinobots and by the fifth we’d meet Hot Rod and be introduced to the concept of Unicron, I’d expect to love the lot of it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

You might remember it that way, but it wasn’t.

Yeh, looking at Wiki, it says they were "partners". I never had any reason to question that playground rumour, though.