Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

@Ronnie

Cheers. I have a Hatchette sub. Just haven't got around to reading all of them. I was reading Titans Return 2 last night. Will dig the Regeneration 1 issues out next.

This is happening 

Edited by BigJag

46 minutes ago, BigJag said:

That is a great classic Transformers comic image. Was it a cover?

With your third party purchases are you sticking to copies of the Hasbro toys or have you branched out to some of the re imaginings by companies such as Fans Toys and  Weijang?

This 3rd party Devastator looks incredible. Super expensive though at around £500.

generation-toys-gt-88-transformers-gravity-builder-black-judge-aka-devastator-limited-edition-500pcs-worldwide.jpg.672794e46361312b9b7f5f9221483606.jpg

As pointed out the image isnt a cover, but it's superb nonetheless Ditto  this one of the very very many deaths of Optimus Prime

transformersfront1.jpg

Regarding toys, mainly sticking to the MFT  Pocket Size at the moment as they are mainly great small versions of the G1 Cartoon robots. Have a Hot Soldiers Soundwave though and fancy the Goldbug/Bumblebee version. I'll add some pics if I get a chance

I want the Weijang Predaking,  and the DNA Susanoo ( pictured below) But funds will be an issue it is however amazing.

Are you collecting anything at the moment?

reduced-image_12913_106.jpg

• Paid Members
On 6/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, BigJag said:

That gif is brilliant!

Got a new Desk ornament. 

15934538572225341784603098054631.jpg

I picked that Soundwave up the other day. It may be part of the MFT range you mentioned.  At some point I will get hold of a Diaclone colours Ultra Magnus from the Masterpiece range.

• Paid Members
On 6/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Non transforming Transformers figures suck.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Non-transforming Transformers?

Whoever thought of that needs a gentle re-educating in a dark room with no CCTV.

The weird thing being that as a kid I thought the Action Masters were brilliant. Figures that either looked much closer to their cartoon likeness than the original toys, or that I’ve never had chance to own like Shockwave and Blaster. Looking back, it was a terrible idea. Some of the new characters had fuck awful names too like Kick Off and Banzai-Tron. Although the figures were decent to wrestle with. Grimlock used to regularly give Soundwave piledrivers.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:28 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

I've got a Unicron at my Mum's. Two really good friends got it for me for my 30th birthday. I lost my shit when I saw it. 

You might know this already but a mate bought me Armada Unicron when I was at uni. It takes me ages to remember his mini-cons real name sometimes because we just called him “Moon dude.”

On 6/29/2020 at 12:38 AM, LCJ said:

I think GoBots were actually first. It’s just that Transformers were the better toys and had Marvel Comics to give the Transformers in the comics and cartoons better characters and storylines.

This is correct. GoBots biggest flaw was their limited use of the toy range in the cartoon ; nobody got any rub except Leader One, Scooter and Turbo. Nobody gave a fuck about Dive Dive. Worryingly I had quite a few GoBot toys too although my favourites were Renegades that never appeared in the show whose names escape me. But fuck GoBots anyway.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, BigJag said:

The original Smelting Pool story is what gripped me as Transformers fan back in the mid eighties. I'll have to look out a bit more for the Go Bot Easter Eggs whilst reading through the Hatchette books. Kudos to the OP for this thread.

It haunts me. Poor Scrounge.

So, I’m thrilled to see this thread and some activity. I’ll jump in from time to time with random thoughts about Time Wars, who I assume died off camera in the Movie, why Michael Bay should be put in the VVH etc. Right now I’m borderline obsessed with Earth Wars and the never ending quandary between spending spark on 3* that would vastly improve my raid squad, or using all of it on my 4* or waiting til I get my next (I only have 8). Level 48 Razorclaw is my leader, supported by Dead End with the Liege Maximo core.

• Paid Members

So, I’m going to put a bold title on every post because TF is pretty broad so when you see a subject that you’re not interested in, you can just scroll past.

G1 CARTOON s2

As a kid, I thought the showdown between Prime and Motormaster was pretty cool. But looking back... it’s a bit of a burial of Motormaster isn’t it? Especially so soon after the Stunticons introduction. In fact the whole episode, the team have dramatically lost their invincible aura from TKTVS in which the ‘bots were mincemeat without the Aerialbots. To sell toys, I know.

While I’m at it, B.O.T. is universally agreed upon as the worst episode but what gets overlooked compared to the terrible plot, is how Defensor gets no introduction at all and for a first appearance just appears to (off camera) blast Bruticus to disassembly with a single shot. And let’s ponder on THAT for a second.... fuck buying the Combaticon toys after that, they just got treated like ham n eggers.

• Paid Members

Can we maybe explain some of what we're talking about a bit more in places? I've been in and out of Transformers stuff since the original cartoon run, dipping into various comics, toys and series, and I'm struggling to follow some of the references people are making, so I daresay anyone reading it with less knowledge than me is banjaxed.

When we're throwing around MFT, Weijang, Hot Soldiers, DNA, TKTVS and B.O.T., I'm a bit out of my depth.

My main knowledge is around the comics, so I'm happy to explain anything there if anyone's confused when I'm talking about it.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

When we're throwing around MFT, Weijang, Hot Soldiers, DNA, TKTVS and B.O.T.

B.O.T. was an episode of the cartoon where the Combaticons are blown into pieces apart from Swindle, who sells Brawl’s brain to a junkyard and it somehow ends up in a robot built by random school kids.

TKTVS was me abbreviating The Key To Vector Sigma, episodes in which the Stunticons and Aerialbots are built.

Many other terms mistify me, I believe Weijang may be a reference to one of the (many) makers of knock off toys, many of which are superior to real ones.

34 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Can we maybe explain some of what we're talking about a bit more in places? I've been in and out of Transformers stuff since the original cartoon run, dipping into various comics, toys and series, and I'm struggling to follow some of the references people are making, so I daresay anyone reading it with less knowledge than me is banjaxed.

When we're throwing around MFT, Weijang, Hot Soldiers, DNA, TKTVS and B.O.T., I'm a bit out of my depth.

My main knowledge is around the comics, so I'm happy to explain anything there if anyone's confused when I'm talking about it.

MFT-Mech Fans Toys-3rd party manufacturer

Weijang-3rd party manufacturer

Hot Soldiers-3rd party manufacturer

DNA-3rd party manufacturer

TKTVS- One of the best Eps of the series. Stunticons, kicked arse.  War Dawn is the spectacular follow up and getting Alpha Trion, Orion Pax and Alita- One etc is amazing. Love the Centurion droids as well :)

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, patiirc said:

MFT-Mech Fans Toys-3rd party manufacturer

Weijang-3rd party manufacturer

Hot Soldiers-3rd party manufacturer

DNA-3rd party manufacturer

See, normally, you hear '3rd party manufacturer', and I think crap games peripherals. But from the way you're talking, they sound worthwhile. How do they differ? Are they all similar quality?

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

See, normally, you hear '3rd party manufacturer', and I think crap games peripherals. But from the way you're talking, they sound worthwhile. How do they differ? Are they all similar quality?

Basically, KO (Knock Off) Transformers and 3rd Party Transformers have been big business for a while

There has been a crackdown in China on some of the manufacturers because of IP stealing especially where designs are identifcal. Many of the original KO's used the same moulds for toys but often joints were pants ditto quality of plastic

Since the Masterpiece Line started in about 2012 (Ultimate edition transformers basically. Cartoon and Bay Movie) the KO/3rd Party Toys have expanded and are in many cases better than Takara/Hasbro in terms of price and articulation and the rest.

Brief overview of KO toys is here https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Knockoff

Video of why some KO/3rd Party can be better is here with Megatron which is more like the Cartoon Robot than the original toy (Toys were first then Cartoon in the G1 Line up, then the Movie bawsed it and the Cartoon was first then the Toys, which is why the G1 Cyclohus is piss poor :( )

• Paid Members

I think I'm going to whack the Key To Vector Sigma on today thanks to this thread. Haven't watched it in probably 15 years. An absolutely belting story.

I was wondering how easy is it to get stuff like that limited Back to the Future TF toy in the UK? Do they get releases outside the US or is simply Ebay or nowt?

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

618rhk-Lrv-L-AC-SX679.jpg

There's a Super Sentai called ToQger which is train based, and their "Megazord" is ostensibly this. Daban hasn't adapted it yet, choosing instead to skip this one and do an adaptation of Go-Buster.

There was also the Supertrain Megazord in Lightspeed rescue. 

They used to have a Fireman Sam and Postman Pat transformer type thing in the Home Bargains in town which transformed into Jupiter, and Pat's van respectively. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Watching TKTVS right now. It really holds up. Always wondered what Alpha Trion transformed into as a kid.

Anyways the ost score for Transformers G1 was tremendous. I get all the goosebumps from it. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing bits of it in other cartoons like Humanoids. Does anyone know if it ever got some sort of a release. I'd love to add that to my music collection.

The other thing I'd like to brag about is that when I was six I won a Transformers colouring competition held by Toymasters. The prize? Fortress Fucking Maximus.

Life peaked that day.