Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

The whole Target 2006 saga is brilliant. Great story telling and fantastic artwork. It ties the comic into TFTM quite masterfully. Everyone should read it! Hatchette may still have their deluxe hardback version of it available. It was a bargain at £1.99 as the first instalment of their reprint run. 

Furman was in his element with this. He gave characters like Ultra Magnus a lot of attention and is responsible for their continued standing within the Transformers universe. The Galvatron vs Ultra Magnus rivalry is legendary. The images above and Furman's writing made sure of that.

• Paid Members

Furman was brilliant. He was basically given a kids' comic with disposable characters, and he didn't write down at all. He went in with big concepts, complicated stories and three-dimensional characters. It was hugely ambitious stuff.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The rest is variable, but with some definite high-points. I have All Hail Megatron and have been meaning to read it for a while.

There have been a lot of tears shed about that, principally because it ignored what had come before it. It never bothered me because I didn't like the earlier parts of the run anyway but others weren't happy. Personally, I thought seeing the old G1 TFs looking and sounding like themselves was great!

The old 80s UK series by Simon Furman is worth looking back at, especially when Geoff Senior was doing the artwork.

Senior is pretty much the definitive TF artist for me. His artwork was much better than most of the other people's during that magical run when Furman was putting out his epics. (It was Time Wars, by the way.)

The artwork is still some of my favourite from the run.

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Everyone should read it! Hatchette may still have their deluxe hardback version of it available. It was a bargain at £1.99 as the first instalment of their reprint run. 

Oh, don't even get me started on Hachette! They suckered me in with Target: 2006 as the first in the series, and only £1.99. I did the maths and figured I could just about justify the near £600 the 60-volume run would cost. I don't think they ever publicly announced it but they filled the series with some of the biggest rubbish I've ever seen with the most peripheral of Transformers (or G1, at least) links, expanding it by another 40 volumes. Shoddy service, spines misaligned, printing problems, charging twice, late deliveries, and extra £400 for a load of rubbish, which they're guaranteed to get because I'm stubborn and 80-something volumes into it.

OnPaste.20200629-174315.thumb.jpg.8b5d3a2f545376eb16dbae86c56fe33c.jpg

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Senior is pretty much the definitive TF artist for me. His artwork was much better than most of the other people's during that magical run when Furman was putting out his epics. (It was Time Wars, by the way.)

Of course it was. I always think of it as Time Storm because, well, the big massive time storm that's going on. But it really is my favourite story, and Senior's art is incredible throughout.

• Paid Members

They had all 4 TPBs of Regeneration One in my local library a few years back. That was a great read. 

• Paid Members

I've heard that's really good. With any luck It'll be part of the Hatchette run.

A bit of wrestling crossover for you guys. The Rock has voiced Cliffjumper and Samoa Joe has voiced Predaking.

IMG-20200701-WA0009.jpg.43308a37615b3fe771d3efc11c5a2cfa.jpg

Edited by BigJag

https://tfnation.com/

For anyone interested there's a Transformers convention that takes place every August in Birmingham.

Obviously this year's has been cancelled due to Corna however keep an eye out for next year's event as they always have traders for toys, collectables, comic, t shirts and the like.

They often have guests including comic artists and voice actors from the show. Shame that this year's event has been cancelled as they finally were able to secure an appearance of Peter Cullen aka Optimus Prime.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LSM said:

https://tfnation.com/

For anyone interested there's a Transformers convention that takes place every August in Birmingham.

Obviously this year's has been cancelled due to Corna however keep an eye out for next year's event as they always have traders for toys, collectables, comic, t shirts and the like.

They often have guests including comic artists and voice actors from the show. Shame that this year's event has been cancelled as they finally were able to secure an appearance of Peter Cullen aka Optimus Prime.

So they led people to believe it was going to take place, then cancelled it. 

I guess you could say it was a...

200.gif

DeceptiCon?

Gobots ey? Those little devils had some cracking designs but the build quality was never there.

I am after some at the moment as I preferred the oldschool plane designs, especially Bent Wing (F4U Corsair) . Other designs such as Hard Top, Road Ranger, Pincher,, Sky Jack and Water Walk were also pretty cool. However they really did fall apart or rust really easily.

There's a good wiki here http://www.transformerland.com/wiki/gobots/tonka-gobots/

In terms of Transformers. Well, where to start. I am currently picking up odds bods and sods that are 3rd party/KO's as they are still cheap Got way too many. Love the smaller MFT 4.7 range which has some pretty accurate Cartoon versions of the toys. Galvatron, Scourge and Cyclonus have been recent buys and I am looking at Hound, Blaster and the Dinobots, alas I need some more cash 😛

I'd love to get the KO Dinobots combiner Volcanius as well, because why not. Gestalts are fun. Have Clones of Devastator, Superion and Menasor from early 2000's then Superion, Defensor from the most recent combiners series (KO) and I have an RID version of Bruticus (Ruination) as the original Bruticus is a pain to get.

The Comics are amongst my all time favourites, As has been mentioned the merging of Rachet and Megatron is a neat Body Horror story. I love End of the Road, Target 2006 and anything that has Deathshead in as well. The collected comics series at the start with Spidey and then Optimus dying in a computer game is also an interesting arc. Ditto that of Circuit Breaker

The comic contains some great visuals including this one. 

AerialbotsoverAmerica-soswearsCircuitBreaker.jpg

• Paid Members

That is a great classic Transformers comic image. Was it a cover?

With your third party purchases are you sticking to copies of the Hasbro toys or have you branched out to some of the re imaginings by companies such as Fans Toys and  Weijang?

This 3rd party Devastator looks incredible. Super expensive though at around £500.

generation-toys-gt-88-transformers-gravity-builder-black-judge-aka-devastator-limited-edition-500pcs-worldwide.jpg.672794e46361312b9b7f5f9221483606.jpg

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BigJag said:

That is a great classic Transformers comic image. Was it a cover?

No, it's from the last page of Aerialbots over America (US #21).

On 6/30/2020 at 1:47 PM, BigJag said:

I've heard [Regeneration 1 is] really good. With any luck It'll be part of the Hatchette run.

It's volumes 21-24. I didn't think too much of it. If you want to buy them, click the covers.

Regeneration One

Natural Selection

Destiny

The War To End All Wars