Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

On a tangential note, one reason the 80's/early 90's were tremendous was the absolute cowboy shit in play to make the C64 version of Turrican a sentimental favourite.

I played Turrican 2 on the Amiga, which was fuggin' mint. 

EDIT: Oh, the theme tune! Yeh, Escape was one of the top tracks on the TFTM soundtrack. 

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Holy fuck. In remember playing the demo of Turrican 2 loads on my mates Atari ST listening to that music just blew my tiny mind.

21 hours ago, BigJag said:

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. Can't say I've ever come across it.  That trailer linked by @DEF is obviously for the Japanese market. And as @DEF says those are the colours for Magnus in his original Diaclone (pre- Transformers and Hasbro) build. 

Convoy was the Japanese name for Optimus Prime. Hence Powered Convoy.

Also Magnus is a bit of a incompetent leader in TFTM. There were a lot of re-writes of TFTM and I believe post completion editing.  The Real American angle for Magnus may have been a victim of a re-write. Agree on the voice characterisation.

20200704_111853.thumb.jpg.69657763ed18e10b8535e4feb4b73708.jpg

I realised I did not respond to this yesterday. I had an odd day to put it mildly. Apologies for not getting back in contact

I didn't think that Magnus was all that incompetent. As he said himself  "I'm just a soldier, I am not worthy" or words to that effect. However he lead the response to Autobot City Attack well, got them safe from a returning Galvatron and managed to get them to Junk before doing the whole self sacrifice thing. "Sweeps, terminate him" is utterly relentless in it's brutality. After that he gets rebuilt and remade alive (A la multiple Optimus rebirths) by Wreckgar and the Junkions and  so on. In the following cartoon community he regularly gives advice to Rodimus and then basically leads against Galvatron and the Quintessons in Five Faces of Darkness, though havent seen that for some time so maybe out of kilter a bit

There's a little bit here regarding Red White and Blue https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_Y7JAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=ultra+magnus+real+american+hero&source=bl&ots=poXAWtCsF7&sig=ACfU3U3-mNC5qmCccK4h8DPv5xQAFfhD2A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPoofZ0rXqAhXXShUIHcidA8gQ6AEwE3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=ultra magnus real american hero&f=false

• Paid Members

https://fans-hobby.myshopify.com/

Here's a link to Fans Hobby and their 3rd party high end iterations of Transformers.  Some of the models are instantly recognisable whilst others leave you scratching your head. They're all highly detailed and have robust and intricate engineering. Aswell as a heft to them that adds to their impressive look. Fans Hobby seems to be a group of experienced model makers with a passion for Transforming toys. They've definitely put a lot of thought into these. With them scaling very well with the official Masterpiece range from Hasbro/Takara.

Does anyone here have any of the Fans Hobby figures? 

On 7/3/2020 at 12:37 PM, Uncle Zeb said:

The other thing I'd like to brag about is that when I was six I won a Transformers colouring competition held by Toymasters. The prize? Fortress Fucking Maximus.

Life peaked that day.

That’s awesome. Especially considering that Fortress Maximus wasn’t ever officially available in the U.K. either. I remember seeing Fortress Maximus in an Austrian toy store when I was on holiday as a kid and I was so impressed as I’d never seen it before. In fact besides the comics, the UK were kind of deprived of Transformers. ITV only ever showed the first series and a lot of the toy line wasn’t officially available over here. Think only Sky showed the full series.

Yeah we had to either buy the VHS releases or rent them for seasosn 2-3

I remember feeling so sad that the UK didn't get all the toys, especially Shockwave who dominated a lot of the early Marvel comic and Swoop which would have allowed me to complete my Dinobot collection! But no we had to just stare at them on the leaflet!

I finally did get my hands on a boxed G1 original Shockwave 2 years ago. Not the best toy really but fulfilled a childhood dream.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Herne's Son said:

I remember feeling so sad that the UK didn't get all the toys, especially Shockwave who dominated a lot of the early Marvel comic and Swoop which would have allowed me to complete my Dinobot collection! But no we had to just stare at them on the leaflet!

Did the early years leaflets actually show toys not available in our market? At the very latest by 87 they didn’t, Fort Max wasn’t shown, leaving the impression Scorponoks counterpart was in fact Metroplex.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Herne's Son said:

Yeah we had to either buy the VHS releases or rent them for seasosn 2-3

I finally did get my hands on a boxed G1 original Shockwave 2 years ago. Not the best toy really but fulfilled a childhood dream.

I never knew we didnt get swoop. 

I have now remembered owning omega supreme only it was  one before the intro into transformers. "Space tank"  Huge lump and if i recall the tracks would never fit on his back right

Shockwave was odd, we got lots of clones of him though, batteries and laser noises the whole shebang. 

I saw a Fortress Maximus in a shop called Town Books and Toys, least i think it was called that. That too was also a competition prize. 

Early Toys R Us stores like the one at Cribbs Causeway were a god send for Transformers stuff, they even had Sound Wave's and Blaster's Tapes during mid 1980’s and was where I got Scorponok and Bludgeon from ultimately (still wounded my folks sold Bludgeon at a car boot for peanuts!?!) 

Coulda sworn Swoop popped up in Index, but that's an old memory. 

• Paid Members

1 hour ago, patiirc said:

LEK Customs tho.. 

Wow! They've done a good job there. The Predacons were the figures that I lamented not being able to get in the UK. Especially after reading the comics story where they are hunting Optimus Prime. That story was the lead in to the big 100th issue of Transformers UK. With Prime returning to Cybertron for the first time.

The Predacons natural opponents were the Dinobots. Did we ever get a face off between the two groups? I remember there being a particular backstory for Divebomb and Swoop. With the name Divebomb being the issue that defined their rivalry. I think they held that story back and printed it in that years Transformers Annual.

My late grand parents used to live and work in Los Angeles in the 80s and sent over a parcel of toys to me and my sister. One of the toys was Divebomb which I was made up with as it wasn’t officially available in the UK. I also remember the leaflet showing a lot of the other Transformers which weren’t available here either. The fact that Fortress Maximus was available in Austria and not here told me that mainland Europe got more of the Transformers toy line than we did too.