Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

Remembering the real movie, something that I always held as being representative of the sheer difference in approaches between the animated film and Michael Bay's (before he realised he'd pissed people off with this) was the Optimus Prime/Megatron showdown.

Even as a six-year old kid, I'd already got used to the overused movie trope that the villain is always ridiculously powered and that the hero either gets the shit kicked out of him before rallying round and getting in a lucky hit or an alternative solution out of desperation or he/she has to team up with other good guys to finally beat the baddie, so it was a huge markout moment to have it finally confirmed for me what I always knew, that my hero was the strongest bad-ass, that the evil git only hadn't been beaten because he'd always avoided a final confrontation, and that he was finally going to get what he deserved. Basic pro-wrestling, probably the equal of, if not better than, anything WWF/E have ever done.

And then Bay went and resorted to shite trope again, jobbing Prime out to Megatron all over the city, and he had to rely on Shitty Shia using the Magic Box Of Solutions to win.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I have a memory of reading a comic where Megatron and Galvatron meet up and talk about killing Starscream. Is my memory playing tricks with me?

That would be weird, unless it was meant to be a visual representation of the internal physical battle he faced, in which case that would be awesome.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I have a memory of reading a comic where Megatron and Galvatron meet up and talk about killing Starscream. Is my memory playing tricks with me?

They definitely met up:

445px-MarvelUK-327.jpg 449px-MarvelUK-328.jpg

I know the quote you mean but I couldn't find it when leafing through my collection a minute ago. From memory: a Galvatron who knows he cannot kill Megatron is desperately trying to explain his origin to his attacker. Once things settle down, Megatron asks him what he did in response to Starscream's betrayal. Answer: "What would you have done?" And then they both have a good old giggle together.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

They definitely met up:

445px-MarvelUK-327.jpg 449px-MarvelUK-328.jpg

I know the quote you mean but I couldn't find it when leafing through my collection a minute ago. From memory: a Galvatron who knows he cannot kill Megatron is desperately trying to explain his origin to his attacker. Once things settle down, Megatron asks him what he did in response to Starscream's betrayal. Answer: "What would you have done?" And then they both have a good old giggle together.

Galvatron and Megatron meeting (repeatedly) was one of my favourite things in the entire run. It was a big, interesting SF concept for a 9-year-old. Especially when Furman went even bigger with it and had multiple versions of Galvatron, each with the memories of the previous ones during Time Wars. It's the one who has seen it multiple times before going insane when things start happening differently.

• Paid Members

I always wondered what actually happened to Wheeljack and Windcharger in TFTM. There's that horrific moment when you see their corpses and it's pretty haunting. Who took them out. I bet they went down fighting. Wheeljack was ace.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DEF said:

I always wondered what actually happened to Wheeljack and Windcharger in TFTM. There's that horrific moment when you see their corpses and it's pretty haunting. Who took them out. I bet they went down fighting. Wheeljack was ace.

I just finished watching and wheel jack deserved a on screen death. 

• Paid Members
Just now, quote the raven said:

I just finished watching and wheel jack deserved a on screen death. 

I was watching it when I posted that. SO dark. My wife turned to me after it and asked would it have been better if they hadn't off'd them all with little reverence and kept Prime alive? (Paraphrasing)

To be honest I think it's a big reason why it's so indelible in the hearts and minds of goofs like me. Even if it was only because the execs had no idea anybody actually cared about the characters and wanted to shift a new line of toys.

Prime's death is incredibly well handled for full emotional impact. If he wasn't real to a kid before that then he damn well was after it. Is there another toyline cartoon that has had THAT sort of emotional impact since or before I'm not sure and I think it helped galvanise a fan base that maybe would have walked away otherwise because it made it damn real.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, quote the raven said:

That cover, wtf did shockwave do you get that beat down 

I remember reading somewhere that Shockwave was the first leader of the Decepticons before Megatron toppled him. He was made leader of the Decepticons on Cybertron, answering to Megatron. Maybe this was the story that explained what happened. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I remember reading somewhere that Shockwave was the first leader of the Decepticons before Megatron toppled him. He was made leader of the Decepticons on Cybertron, answering to Megatron. Maybe this was the story that explained what happened. 

Nope. This is the Marvel (UK) universe. There are several different histories depending on which version you're following, so "I think I heard" etc isn't likely to be the answer. In this one, he happened to be the leader at the time, that mantle passing around like the Hardcore title used to.

2 hours ago, DEF said:

I was watching it when I posted that. SO dark. My wife turned to me after it and asked would it have been better if they hadn't off'd them all with little reverence and kept Prime alive? (Paraphrasing)

To be honest I think it's a big reason why it's so indelible in the hearts and minds of goofs like me. Even if it was only because the execs had no idea anybody actually cared about the characters and wanted to shift a new line of toys.

Prime's death is incredibly well handled for full emotional impact. If he wasn't real to a kid before that then he damn well was after it. Is there another toyline cartoon that has had THAT sort of emotional impact since or before I'm not sure and I think it helped galvanise a fan base that maybe would have walked away otherwise because it made it damn real.

I'm 35, seen TTFTM hundreds of times and still get wet eyed and lumpy throated at Prime's death which shows you just how good it was, if controversial (BTW highly recommend getting the 30th Anniversary BluRay, the transfer on it is absolutely stunning)

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I'm 35, seen TTFTM hundreds of times and still get wet eyed and lumpy throated at Prime's death which shows you just how good it was, if controversial (BTW highly recommend getting the 30th Anniversary BluRay, the transfer on it is absolutely stunning)

Agreed. Every time it gets me. Tonight included. I'm pretty sure that's the case for a generation. The bluray is pretty great. I just wish it carried across the previous special features.