Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

31 minutes ago, Chris B said:

There's been a recent reboot of the comics line, which ended MTMTE etc - I've tried it, and got bored after a few issues. Happy to hear why I should give anything a second chance though.

It's not terrible, but it's lacking the sense of fun that MTMTE in particular had and very few of the (massive) cast of characters have been defined in anything other than very broad strokes. The spin off Galaxies comic does a bit more character work and there was a recent story about Cliffjumper living in Bumblebee's shadow which felt like a step in the right direction. The main comic is currently very much about Cybertronian politics, which I assume is building up to the Autobot vs Decepticon war, but it suffers from the fact that everything seems quite transparent- even secret plots are not kept secret from the reader, so there is not much intrigue. 

58 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Actually, to be fair, @Joe Blog said "probably to be answered by Chris B", not probably best answered by Chris B. So he might have been justifiably noting that I'd turn up with my opinion, no matter what.

That was my suspicion 😂. Thank you for both answers though gents. I was hoping to immerse myself this evening buy my dog just stood in a wasp nest and did a number on her..they really are horrid little fuckers. 

She is good, just in for obs as she has been stung so many times. 

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2020 at 5:42 PM, Chris B said:

It's the one who has seen it multiple times before going insane when things start happening differently.

So, here’s where the retcon that Furman wrote kind of shoots itself in the foot and puts a big logic hole into the story. Galvatron is attempting to reconcile what he’s seeing with his eyes to how he remembers living it as Megatron. However... this isn’t Megatron as we learn later, this is the clone that ends up killing himself, and Megatron that would have ended up reformatted by Unicron is actually on Cybertron, not experiencing the battle of Time Wars, so it’s impossible for Galvatron to remember it.

I say “would have” because in comic continuity, Unicron is destroyed in 1992 by Optimus Prime instead of by Rodimus in 2005, so the past Galvatron returned to was actually altered so that in at least one potential future, he won’t exist. Sadly for Rodimus and the other future Autobots, when they return to their own time they somehow end up in a 2009 where Galvatron not only exists, but never travelled to Earths past and has conquered Cybertron.

To further bend your mind, aware of the potential different futures awaiting him, “our” Unicron plucks a Galvatron from a future to aid him, this being the Galvatron that ended up on the Ark meeting up with Megatron and Shockwave and ultimately getting put down by Fort Max at the end of the comic. This future being one where Unicron devoured Cybertron and gifted Galvatron the Earth, complete with the grisly sight of Rodimus being strung up between the twin towers and executed.

My actual favourite part of the time travel nonsense is where Cyclonus and Scourge muck about in 2007-08 without Galvatron who’s disappeared back into the past, until they’re flung even further into the past by Deaths Head where upon they fall under the command of Scorponok and end up travelling to Nebulos and becoming Targetmasters before ending up on Earth and... waiting for Galvatron. Pretty neat way of Furman reconciling two future characters being part of a group whose gimmick/toys are attached to nine other characters that aren’t going to be from the future in the US comic.

My unresolved question about Time Wars is : why was Red Alert chosen as a “future” Autobot? Really stands out next to Rodimus, Arcee, Kup, Blurr and Magnus.

I have the complete run of the UK Marvel Transformers comic. Wish I’d been reminded of this at the start of the lockdown instead of now when I’m back at work. Definitely digging them out when I get chance! 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, air_raid said:

So, here’s where the retcon that Furman wrote kind of shoots itself in the foot and puts a big logic hole into the story. Galvatron is attempting to reconcile what he’s seeing with his eyes to how he remembers living it as Megatron. However... this isn’t Megatron as we learn later, this is the clone that ends up killing himself, and Megatron that would have ended up reformatted by Unicron is actually on Cybertron, not experiencing the battle of Time Wars, so it’s impossible for Galvatron to remember it.

I say “would have” because in comic continuity, Unicron is destroyed in 1992 by Optimus Prime instead of by Rodimus in 2005, so the past Galvatron returned to was actually altered so that in at least one potential future, he won’t exist. Sadly for Rodimus and the other future Autobots, when they return to their own time they somehow end up in a 2009 where Galvatron not only exists, but never travelled to Earths past and has conquered Cybertron.

To further bend your mind, aware of the potential different futures awaiting him, “our” Unicron plucks a Galvatron from a future to aid him, this being the Galvatron that ended up on the Ark meeting up with Megatron and Shockwave and ultimately getting put down by Fort Max at the end of the comic. This future being one where Unicron devoured Cybertron and gifted Galvatron the Earth, complete with the grisly sight of Rodimus being strung up between the twin towers and executed.

My actual favourite part of the time travel nonsense is where Cyclonus and Scourge muck about in 2007-08 without Galvatron who’s disappeared back into the past, until they’re flung even further into the past by Deaths Head where upon they fall under the command of Scorponok and end up travelling to Nebulos and becoming Targetmasters before ending up on Earth and... waiting for Galvatron. Pretty neat way of Furman reconciling two future characters being part of a group whose gimmick/toys are attached to nine other characters that aren’t going to be from the future in the US comic.

My unresolved question about Time Wars is : why was Red Alert chosen as a “future” Autobot? Really stands out next to Rodimus, Arcee, Kup, Blurr and Magnus.

Hey, @Joe Blog - when I say that, by the end of the Marvel UK series, all of this will make sense and seem awesome in places, I mean it. It's THAT good.

• Paid Members

The Japanese trailer for the upcoming Netflix show is markedly superior to the western one. Jetfire looks to have been characterised in quite a departure from what we are used to. I like this Jetfire. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, patiirc said:

The Transformers pages on Facebook can be quite fun. I miss Thundercracker's page . Does anyone else follow any of them?? 

I’m assuming Thundercracker’s wasn’t updated very often as his heart wasn’t really in it and he was just going along with all his mates.

• Paid Members

Finished reading Regeneration 1 today. A pretty good read and enjoyed the artwork. I felt the artwork gave a very good sense of scale for the various environments. Tied up a number of story threads and left a few dangling for future pickups. I'd have liked some of the individual faceoffs to have had a little extra space devoted to them. It's always fun to see the new leaders go at it. Which sort of leaves Rodimus without an opponent.  I know the Movie puts Galvatron in that role. However in the comics it's pretty much always Ultra Magnus vs Galvatron in pitched battle. With Rodimus instead weighed down with leadership duties or quests to discover the truth. Never a character I really enjoy reading. 

There's a new comic out soon if not already. That covers the events that preceded the beginnings of the Transformers saga that was concluded in Regeneration 1. Transformers 84 Secrets and Lies is the title. It's a 4 part miniseries. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Was a MASK man myself .

Don't forget to drop by the pets thread to share that you preferred your Tamagotchi. The cricket thread might benefit from knowing that you favour croquet, too.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, BigJag said:

There's a new comic out soon if not already. That covers the events that preceded the beginnings of the Transformers saga that was concluded in Regeneration 1. Transformers 84 Secrets and Lies is the title. It's a 4 part miniseries. 

It's nowhere near essential reading, but it's fun. Simon Furman is writing it, so I'm always going to be interested, even just for nostalgia reasons. There are footnotes at the end referencing obscure points from various series that are being tied together.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Simon Furman is writing it, so I'm always going to be interested, even just for nostalgia reasons.

Over the weekend I read some daftness about Furmans “attitude to female Autobots” relating to some dialogue in Earth Wars. Missing the point that a writer writing a character (Grimlock) to be a chauvinist, doesn’t make the writer a chauvinist, and actually the Torchbearers/Rust Renegades are invariably badasses. Anyhoo, this nutball referred to him as “Fuckman” and I can’t get it out of my head.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Over the weekend I read some daftness about Furmans “attitude to female Autobots” relating to some dialogue in Earth Wars. Missing the point that a writer writing a character (Grimlock) to be a chauvinist, doesn’t make the writer a chauvinist, and actually the Torchbearers/Rust Renegades are invariably badasses. Anyhoo, this nutball referred to him as “Fuckman” and I can’t get it out of my head.

Oh, there was some real nastiness directed to him a few years ago for his explanation of Arcee being an identifiable female in a species where everybody else uses male pronouns. (Jhiaxus arbitrarily deciding to introduce gender to the species by experimenting on her was what it boiled down to, I think, with the character continuing to use those pronouns because she felt different as a result.)

That brings to mind the reactionary pile-on which James Roberts suffered on Twitter when the Decepticons who had discovered a mentally shutdown Grimlock were offered a sizable sum to hand him over at the end of an issue. He left Twitter for a time and had to write a note explaining the obvious. It's amazing to me that anybody who has read MTMTE could think of him as a bigot.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It's nowhere near essential reading, but it's fun. Simon Furman is writing it, so I'm always going to be interested, even just for nostalgia reasons.

I read issue 0 when it came out and really enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a weirdo like that. (I don't watch films but am one of those oddballs who enjoys the Star Wars prequels because I like knowing what the end result is via the original films and seeing how the producers fill out the backstory to work towards it.)

But ... massive continuity error from Furman! Ultra Magnus is a core character in it, this series pre-dating the Arrival from Cybertron ... but Furman's own Target: 2006 contained a character profile stating that Magnus had been built shortly before Operation: Volcano in 1986 :(