Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

But ... massive continuity error from Furman! Ultra Magnus is a core character in it, this series pre-dating the Arrival from Cybertron ... but Furman's own Target: 2006 contained a character profile stating that Magnus had been built shortly before Operation: Volcano in 1986 :(

I’ll be honest, I view Magnus being built in 1986 as a continuity error by the time the Movie hit. If he’s only been built in ‘86, I’m not sure Prime would have referred to him as “old friend” considering these are beings that live millions of years.

• Paid Members

Ultra Magnus V Galvatron

Apologies for the double post but hey ho.

So the mention of Target 2006 throws up the interesting subject of the rivalry Furman wrote for Magnus and Galvatron in the UK exclusive run of the G1 comic, which eclipsed that of Rodimus vs Galvatron most of the time, and was by no means only a facet of that medium. Of course, a byproduct of what Furman started with Fallen Angel/Wreaking Havoc/Dry Run, is that Galvatron of Rodimus’ time has disappeared into the past “never to return” so there are a few years of stories where he has to contend with cons led by Shockwave, Cyclonus & Scourge (briefly) and Soundwave, before the events of Time Wars happen and fill in the blanks differently to the 2009 Rodimus returns to (where Galvatron is waiting for him). I’ve never seen one before, no-one has, but I’m guessing it’s a White Hole. So by and large Galvatron and Rodimus actually missed each other, with Galvatron spending more time in a, errr, time where there is a Magnus but no Roddy. Precipitated by the only sketchy details available from the Movie that were available to Furman when he wrote Target 2006 and their toy models which explains Galvatrons colour scheme, which in the comic always remains toy rather than cartoon accurate. As far as Marvel UK knew, Galvatron and Ultra Magnus were the new toys they needed to pimp.

Interestingly the toys and toy adverts parallel that the two are each other’s counterparts. I believe the advert even has Frank Welker as Megatron ordering Galvatron into battle and his rank according to toy package is “City Commander” as presumably they didn’t want to ruin for kids that haven’t seen the Movie, that Galvy replaces Megs as The Big Bad. From memory, Rodimus position even as leader is kind of disconnected to the fact that Magnus V Galvatron headlines that years catalogue, and in (at least UK version) the leaflet he and Wreck-Gar are described as “movie heroes” but kids would probably expect the two City Commanders to have their plastic bricks smacked into each other, as was the style at the time.

Even the cartoon itself had its fair share of fights between the two even though the natural battle for Magnus was Cyclonus, as Galvatrons Number One (and they did tumble occasionally) and there were episodes where Magnus had to lead against Galvatrons latest scheme because presumably Rod was off being a diplomat. Carnage In C Minor off the top of my head.

In the current Earth Wars game continuity written by Furman, Magnus and Galvatron were introduced together with complimentary special ability and several story elements have pitted them against each other. Bizarrely due to ability matching, Rodimus’ counterpart is Motormaster.

Finally, the Ladybird books continuity also seems 100% toyline driven, as Ultra Magnus is actually explicitly stated as leading the Autobots in several books post-Optimus but pre-Nebulos, to go along with Galvatron being toy-coloured. The only book featuring Rod Prime is the Movie adaptation. Of course, these books with Magnus as leader also feature dead Autobots like Wheeljack and Starscream reporting to Galvatron so in no way can occur in the same canon, but Magnus v Galvatron it is, nonetheless.

Well, I thought it was interesting.

• Paid Members

Do you do all the research for your posts yourself with the ladybird books and what not air_raid because they are indeed really interesting. I've got a bunch of those books knocking about but it would never even occur to me to check them out. Great stuff mate.

This thread really kicked my TF fandom into overdrive. Haven't been interested like this since I was a teen. Picked up my first TF Earthrise toy the other day. Soundwave. It's tremendous to. It really helps that they are boxed not carded. This way I get to play with them and not just stare at them in the packaging. Ordered Spinister this morning. I can tell this is going to become a problem.

I'm just finishing up Vol 4 of MTME. It keeps getting better honestly. The world and character building is top.

I've been the same in this thread kickstarting things again. In advance of War for Cybertron I've used the free time to catch up on some of the series' I'd missed out on. Currently about half way through season two of Prime and sort of surprised how watchable as a show it is, given it was sort of concurrent in releases to the Bay films I anticipated it being absolutely shit and skipped it. Pretty sure I grabbed Devastation when it was on PS+ but never played it so might give that a go.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, lanky316 said:

I've been the same in this thread kickstarting things again. In advance of War for Cybertron I've used the free time to catch up on some of the series' I'd missed out on. Currently about half way through season two of Prime and sort of surprised how watchable as a show it is, given it was sort of concurrent in releases to the Bay films I anticipated it being absolutely shit and skipped it. Pretty sure I grabbed Devastation when it was on PS+ but never played it so might give that a go.

Funnily I've done the same with Prime. I'm only about 6 episodes in but it's pretty good all things considered. I've reinstalled Devastation as well. Never did get past Megatron so I'm going to give it another shot. I've maxed out Primes stats but not done anything with the others. Anyone know if it will make any difference if you're not actually playing as them?

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, DEF said:

Do you do all the research for your posts yourself with the ladybird books and what not air_raid because they are indeed really interesting. I've got a bunch of those books knocking about but it would never even occur to me to check them out. Great stuff mate.

Just a weird memory for random details.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Interestingly the toys and toy adverts parallel that the two are each other’s counterparts.

I remember this vividly, because this coincided with 7-year-old me buying the comic for the first time. The annual that came out shortly after was my most prized possession for a while too.

G1_NewLeaders-960x672.jpg

230px-MarvelUK-079.jpg

1971-05-31_00-59-03_474.jpg

6 hours ago, DEF said:

Funnily I've done the same with Prime. I'm only about 6 episodes in but it's pretty good all things considered. I've reinstalled Devastation as well. Never did get past Megatron so I'm going to give it another shot. I've maxed out Primes stats but not done anything with the others. Anyone know if it will make any difference if you're not actually playing as them?

There's little differences such as the amount of coins you can have or amount of extras or additional features.  

Sideswipe has a double jump thingy which is useful and the more slots the better attacks. Meshing and levelling up weapons is kinda fun

Also each member has specific weapons, so Wheeljacks pliers if leveled up to 50 using attack stats in the slots can reach near 10k plus attack, which even if you try prime difficulty makes things a lot easier

Grind on some of the Insecticon missions inc level 50 (from memory)  It's easy to get decent weapon drops and if you get all your slots to increased credit and rare weapon drops you are laughing

So this thread has really piqued my Transformers interest! Some great memories, especially those covers from @Chris B

Being as I spent the whole of lockdown buying Lego, and over indulged the minute Travelling Man reopened I need to get my house in order (literally) before I dig out those old comics. 

So, for satisfaction in the meanwhile, what’s a good recommendation for a  ‘jumping on’ graphic novel that I may be able to pick up in Waterstones or Travelling Man? 

Bearing in mind I haven’t read any Transformers for over 30 years? 

Edited by thicko
Spelling

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, thicko said:

So, for satisfaction in the meanwhile, what’s a good recommendation for a  ‘jumping on’ graphic novel that I may be able to pick up in Waterstones or Travelling Man? 

If you read the original comic then I strongly recommend Regeneration One before you try any new continuity.

• Paid Members

Had a play with this bad boy earlier. The alt mode isn't my favourite but robot mode is superb. Really like the newer toy lines. I've got Grapple, Spinister, Sideswipe and Cliffjumper on their way as well.

Polish_20200722_155644046.jpg

Polish_20200722_155144237.jpg

• Paid Members

That’s a great looking figure, if I’d not recently bought the San Diego con 2009 exclusive re-issue of Soundwave plus 4 tapes (Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, Ravage, Ratbat) I’d be in the market for it. A mate bought me Hound for Christmas but many of the deluxe class are great looking. Shockwave or Sideswipe would probably be my first choices.

• Paid Members
On 7/21/2020 at 1:11 PM, air_raid said:

Finally, the Ladybird books continuity also seems 100% toyline driven, as Ultra Magnus is actually explicitly stated as leading the Autobots in several books post-Optimus but pre-Nebulos, to go along with Galvatron being toy-coloured.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:43 PM, DEF said:

Do you do all the research for your posts yourself with the ladybird books and what not air_raid because they are indeed really interesting.

In an amusing twist, Ladybird just got a mention in the newest part of the story written by Simon Furman for the Earth Wars mobile game. They’re doing a multiverse arc - in last nights Autobot transmission it was revealed Chromia was trapped in a “short-lived bubble reality” called the Dreamwave-verse (LOLZ). Today we learned Dead End and Octane are retrieving Starscream from the Ladybirdbook-verse. Can you imagine??

Right, off to burn cells.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

In an amusing twist, Ladybird just got a mention in the newest part of the story written by Simon Furman for the Earth Wars mobile game. They’re doing a multiverse arc - in last nights Autobot transmission it was revealed Chromia was trapped in a “short-lived bubble reality” called the Dreamwave-verse (LOLZ). Today we learned Dead End and Octane are retrieving Starscream from the Ladybirdbook-verse. Can you imagine??

Right, off to burn cells.

Nice one, now I'm addicted to another mobile game. :laugh:

Any tips?