Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

War For Cybertron : Siege cartoon

I really enjoyed this (spoilers within).

Really enjoyed the interaction between Optimus and Magnus, who fought together a few times in the UK comic with a friendship only mentioned in passing in the Movie and barely touched upon in Rebirth. Truncated though it was, obviously. I was really happy to see Spinister and “Skytread” a/k/a Flywheels too, and especially the meaty role given to Impactor, and a really interesting take on him starting as a Decepticon. Plenty to enjoy in general, some interesting themes as a reimagining of the G1 story prior to the launch of the Ark, and I really enjoyed the Omega Supreme reveal. Finally there were some good voice performances, I was especially impressed with Starscream, who is easy to get wrong and be too whiny.

Thought all the criticisms of pacing were unjust, the story moved precisely as quickly as it needed to. I didn’t notice anything particularly bad about any of the Prime/Megatron monologues either. Only slight criticism would be the use of generic body types for extra soldiers/“the Sparkless” not really being generic enough. It’s a bit jarring watching zombie Mirage attacking Optimus’ crew when he’s very much alive trying to fix the space bridge. Also, using “scrap” as a replacement expletive makes me cringe as it always has in TF media, especially when one of the bots said “scrap sucker.” Really bad. But I’m nitpicking.

Really looking forward to more, vast improvement on what I’ve seen of Combiner Wars/Titans Return.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Earth Wars Ramblings

So I joined an alliance and took part in the event yesterday. It was hard to get a grip on exactly what I should do but it was pretty valuable experience. My alliance won the war which was nice as I was pretty useless. How often do they happen?

Now level 31 and have a level 10 hq. It's slow going to get decent bots isn't it? I've now got 5 *3 Bots. But I just got Impactor so it's very early days getting him leveled up.

My best is my level 32 *3 GNAW. Which I was pretty surprised to see in the Autobots but I guess seeing as the Sharticons independent of the Decepticons I guess it makes sense.

Was wondering if I should continue to save coins now that I have all 5 build bots? Or is it just best to use them on premium crystals now?

Screenshot_20200813-000356_Transformers.jpg

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

This guy has created these three Transformers out of card board. They do actually transform. Can you name the characters? 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/remember-when-toys-were-fun-hasbros-575-unicron-figur-1844650376

Hands on review of Haslab Unicron. He's not very good at transforming it.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Blitzwing, Grimlock & Jazz?

They are superb. That guy is crazy talented. Apparently he's planning to flight them on Ebay.

• Paid Members

Triple Changers were actually a bit shit, weren't they?

Blitzwing was one of the better ones, but as much as we pretended otherwise, Springer gave you the choice of helicopter, stubby helicopter without blades, or robot with disproportionally small head.

That Decepticon Headmaster one had a decent robot and decent jet mode, but the dinosaur mode looked like one of those that kids invent themselves halfway through transformation.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Triple Changers were actually a bit shit, weren't they?

Blitzwing was one of the better ones, but as much as we pretended otherwise, Springer gave you the choice of helicopter, stubby helicopter without blades, or robot with disproportionally small head.

That Decepticon Headmaster one had a decent robot and decent jet mode, but the dinosaur mode looked like one of those that kids invent themselves halfway through transformation.

I dunno I mean I liked Snap Dragon and loved Double Dealer. I think as long as one of the Alt modes is great I'm fine with it. Scorpanok's base mode was a bit daft looking but was so big that it didn't matter.

I agree in so much that they often failed to really be much of a disguise. Astrotrain's train mode and Blitzwing's tank mode withstanding.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, DEF said:

My alliance won the war which was nice as I was pretty useless. How often do they happen?

Depends on your alliance. Mine wars as soon as the previous finishes which means we war every day except during weekend alliance events.

21 hours ago, DEF said:

My best is my level 32 *3 GNAW. Which I was pretty surprised to see in the Autobots but I guess seeing as the Sharticons independent of the Decepticons I guess it makes sense.

Gnaw is available on both sides. There is a storyline reason but I forget it. The bots see him as a pet. Impactor is also available on both teams as he’s a merc. Not including the bots that are clones/alter-egos ; Dinobot/Dinobot II, Punch/Counterpunch.

21 hours ago, DEF said:

Was wondering if I should continue to save coins now that I have all 5 build bots? Or is it just best to use them on premium crystals now?

Jesus, I’m still edging towards my 4th build bot as a F2P player. I’d say the best uses of coins after build bots would be extra fuel cells to maximise performance in events or skipping wait time on building upgrades or cooldown on your bots (again probably during events). If you’re feeling lucky you could go for a character crystal comes up for a bot you need for a combiner but it’s a minuscule chance you’ll pop 3* of the bot you want. I took an Octane crystal once and it gave me a 2* Rippersnapper.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

I had Broadside and remember him being pretty cool in all modes

Was gonna say - I remember seeing a Broadside in a display, and all three modes looked plausible, none of this "we'll tell you what it is, and you'll just have to trust us that it's true" like Kupp or the JumpStarters.

• Paid Members

Astrotrain was one of my first bigger toys as a kid and he’s pretty good looking in both alts.

Although you want to talk shitty looking alt modes? In robot mode all the Throttlebots look like they’ve lost their legs in combat. The Duocons look like shit as well.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, air_raid said:

The Duocons look like shit as well.

Hasbro did a cracking job a couple of years ago with a revamped Battletrap. It had the usual two alt modes, but this time each was an independent Cybertronian who combined with the other to form Battletrap:

image.png.daa0127cf95e7fc4f0d4500b5e3c142e.png

Such a nice-looking figure:

image.thumb.png.57e7ad3a39d5818e86fe886a86cbef59.png

• Paid Members

There are also a number of excellent Flywheels/Skytread toys, at least one of which jettisoned the splitting gimmick in favour of a triple changer and its great.

Its widely believed that the names of Flywheels and Battletrap got mixed up pre-production since as a tank, Flywheels doesn’t really have wheels.

• Paid Members

Check out the engineering on this! This is Ocular Maxs' third party version of Onslaught. The Comabticon commander. The resulting Gestalt will be unique in that all the individual body parts contain the hands/feet/head/chest plate within the individual character, and is part of their transformation. Other versions rely on parts that are added to the Gestalt at the end. The final Gestalt form is going look pretty great, based on this showing.