Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, BigJag said:

The Predacons natural opponents were the Dinobots. Did we ever get a face off between the two groups? I remember there being a particular backstory for Divebomb and Swoop. With the name Divebomb being the issue that defined their rivalry. I think they held that story back and printed it in that years Transformers Annual.

That particular quirk was down to the original show production bible having “Divebomb” as the original name for Swoop. Furman wrote this into an earlier story as a throwaway reference and must have been delighted when Hasbro recycled the name for a Predacon and popped that story into the annual. There was a story specific to Dinobots v Predacons called Grudge Match printed in October 87 but unfortunately that wasn’t too long before both units were slaughtered by Underbase-powered Starscream.

As an aside my 20th Anni Predaking Japanese reissue gift set is definitely my favourite toy.

• Paid Members

I'm really surprised Swoop wasn't available here. I would get some of my toys second hand as a kid and I had Swoop for years. Must have come from Europe I guess.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, patiirc said:

Shockwave was odd, we got lots of clones of him though, batteries and laser noises the whole shebang. 

I saw a Fortress Maximus in a shop called Town Books and Toys, least i think it was called that. That too was also a competition prize. 

Early Toys R Us stores like the one at Cribbs Causeway were a god send for Transformers stuff, they even had Sound Wave's and Blaster's Tapes during mid 1980’s and was where I got Scorponok and Bludgeon from ultimately (still wounded my folks sold Bludgeon at a car boot for peanuts!?!) 

Coulda sworn Swoop popped up in Index, but that's an old memory. 

The figure of Swoop was almost the stuff of urban legend. There was always some kid at school that insisted he had one, but it was in the loft so he couldn't show you (along with the claim that you just pushed his feet together and he transformed automatically).

A cursory Google suggests there was no UK release of Swoop due to "safety reasons", from how pointy his beak was. Bit wank, if that's true.

I don't remember Soundwave's cassettes being rare or difficult to get hold of. They had them in Tesco. Rumble & Ravage. Frenzy and Lazerbeak. Fuck you, Buzzsaw. You're not in the cartoon so nobody gives you a second thought.

Shockwave was licensed to Radio Shack / Tandy and so could only be bought as Super-Robo-Gun-Man-Blaster or something. A lad near my Gran had one, and it was pretty decent with the translucent chest and the way the light-up gun hand went into the barrel of the gun mode to make that light up too.

33 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Did we ever get the Autobot version, Blaster, and his tapes? I don't remember seeing them anywhere outside the cartoon. 

Nope. Pretty sure we didn’t.

One of the Centurions (Remember them?) Toys wasn’t available in the UK either. One of the character’s suits was called Detonator that featured missile launchers that actually shot plastic missiles very quickly. I’m guessing that was banned for safety reasons too.

Blaster, Perceptor, Roadbuster, Whirl, Trypticon, The Predacons, I think maybe the Constructicons, the Sharkticon Gnaw? All were not released here.

A lot of Action Force/G I Joe were not too.

Going to Florida in 89 and walking into Toys R Us was quite an experience seeing the amount of toys we didn't get in the UK. Safe to say I wish I had a lot of money at that time but sadly had fuck all being a kid so had to choose what to buy very carefully. The leaflets would become very popular among my friends of course.

Anyone remember during the late ‘80s when certain market stalls and people in Seaside Towns like Blackpool would sell the full sets of the likes of the Constructicons in one box with the box all in Spanish? Well it turns out that they were Mexican imports and some of the toy’s paint contained lead (which was banned in the U.K. in 1979). It even made the news. So I think they were official Transformers but from a country where lead paint in toys was still legal.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I don't remember Soundwave's cassettes being rare or difficult to get hold of. They had them in Tesco. Rumble & Ravage. Frenzy and Lazerbeak. Fuck you, Buzzsaw. You're not in the cartoon so nobody gives you a second thought.

Buzzsaw came with Soundwave. That’s why the cartoon pushed Laserbeak harder, because his was the toy they needed to sell.

2 hours ago, Herne's Son said:

Blaster, Perceptor, Roadbuster, Whirl, Trypticon, The Predacons, I think maybe the Constructicons, the Sharkticon Gnaw? All were not released here.

We had the Constructicons. Bonecrusher was the third toy I ever bought with pocket money from Woolies (after two Seacons) although his legs didn’t stay attached very long. In the early 90s they got re-released as “Classics” and I picked up five on a family holiday to Devon, but I didn’t acquire Scavenger to complete my Devastator until the eBay era - except he came sans Devastator fist so for over 15 years my Devastator had a drill bit instead of one fist. Then I finally bought the missing fist just before lockdown started.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LCJ said:

Anyone remember during the late ‘80s when certain market stalls and people in Seaside Towns like Blackpool would sell the full sets of the likes of the Constructicons in one box with the box all in Spanish? Well it turns out that they were Mexican imports and some of the toy’s paint contained lead (which was banned in the U.K. in 1979). It even made the news. So I think they were official Transformers but from a country where lead paint in toys was still legal.

Forcing an Autobot to lick their poisonous lead paint was a perfectly legitimate attack strategy for the few of us that had imported Constructicons.

Soundwave was my first Transformer after getting a handful of RoboMachines, so in my world Buzzsaw was the highest ranking cassette. I used to get quite annoyed when friends would refer to him as Lazerbeak.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Are those War For Cybertron shows related to the War/Fall last gen videogames? They were pretty decent from what I can remember.

It definitely seems to have a similar feel about it. I am not sure as to how closely they're linked.

The show does have a bit of a long title. War for Cybertron Trilogy Seige. The Seige bit refers to the current toy line. Which is where they are getting the character designs from.