Transformers are way better than Gobots

DEF

• Paid Members

Seaspray is mine. Ok it's also Prime but they are neck and neck. Ironhide is nowt to be ashamed of. His death in the movie is nearly as brutal as Primes.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, DEF said:

Watching TKTVS right now. It really holds up. Always wondered what Alpha Trion transformed into as a kid.

Anyways the ost score for Transformers G1 was tremendous. I get all the goosebumps from it. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing bits of it in other cartoons like Humanoids. Does anyone know if it ever got some sort of a release. I'd love to add that to my music collection.

At the very least I believe it got a release in Japan, all of the tracks are on YouTube with different cover art for each series with Japanese style text everywhere. I noted the official title for the awesome combat theme lifted straight of the movie (from the Unicron medley, plays during his attack of Cybertron, similar melody to Megatron Must Be Stopped) is Call Of The Primitives - it plays during that episode at the point of transition between the genesis of Tornitron and the battle on the moon. It basically should play whenever Cons are laying waste to anything.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

At the very least I believe it got a release in Japan, all of the tracks are on YouTube with different cover art for each series with Japanese style text everywhere. I noted the official title for the awesome combat theme lifted straight of the movie (from the Unicron medley, plays during his attack of Cybertron, similar melody to Megatron Must Be Stopped) is Call Of The Primitives - it plays during that episode at the point of transition between the genesis of Tornitron and the battle on the moon. It basically should play whenever Cons are laying waste to anything.

I did abit of googling and apparently they released the soundtrack on limited edition vinyl a couple of years back but only on vinyl.

Re Cybertronic Spree they are great fun. They did a crowdfunding campaign for the TFTM soundtrack cover album that they did last year which I contributed to. Honestly it doesn't touch the proper ost. But they are incredibly fun with their normal 80s covers and look incredible live. I'd love to see them live.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gamesmaster-Culture-Trenches-Dungeons-Transformers/dp/1644280124

The book in the above link will be released at the end of the month. The author had a hand in creating the G1 cartoon. I believe I've heard the guys name, Flint Dille, before. Although I may be getting it confused with Floro Deery who did a lot of concept art for TFTM.

floro-dery-bb6e18f1-b708-4316-8740-2eac3baff8c-resize-750.jpeg.97c764b6da1c825d42a3f87751651ad3.jpeg

It says Ultra Magnus at the top of this piece. To me the character looks more like Galavatron or a Junkion.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BigJag said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gamesmaster-Culture-Trenches-Dungeons-Transformers/dp/1644280124

The book in the above link will be released at the end of the month. The author had a hand in creating the G1 cartoon. I believe I've heard the guys name, Flint Dille, before. Although I may be getting it confused with Floro Deery who did a lot of concept art for TFTM.

floro-dery-bb6e18f1-b708-4316-8740-2eac3baff8c-resize-750.jpeg.97c764b6da1c825d42a3f87751651ad3.jpeg

It says Ultra Magnus at the top of this piece. To me the character looks more like Galavatron or a Junkion.

In the Transformers For Beginners vid for Ultra Magnus they cover this. It was the original design by the animators of the cartoon (slight hang over, could have been comic) before Hasbro presented them the toy. The theory is they then just used the design for Orion Pax.

Even after that in the Japanese promo reel for TFM, Magnus hadn't had the colours confirmed by Hasbro so he appears in red and black like the original Japanese toy. See at about the 2.22 mark.

11 hours ago, BigJag said:

https://thecybertronicspree.bandcamp.com/

I think this is A Coverband doing the Transformers The Movie soundtrack.

Cybertronic Spree are amazing. Their cover of 'Run with Us' from the Raccoons is outstanding, ditto their version of the Immigrant Song

If they ever hit these shores (they are Canadian I think) I am going, even if I have to beg, borrow, steal to get there!

11 minutes ago, DEF said:

In the Transformers For Beginners vid for Ultra Magnus they cover this. It was the original design by the animators of the cartoon (slight hang over, could have been comic) before Hasbro presented them the toy. The theory is they then just used the design for Orion Pax.

Even after that in the Japanese promo reel for TFM, Magnus hadn't had the colours confirmed by Hasbro so he appears in red and black like the original Japanese toy. See at about the 2.22 mark.

Wasn't the colouring of Ultra Magnus as Red, White and Blue, something to do with the who needing to 'Americana' Transformer?. Ive not seen the TF for beginners vid so cant comment on that.

After Optimus' Death, (The frankly also miserable GI Joe/Action Force Movie 😮) and some utter brutality, the Transformers Movie is dark as fuck and the deaths are brutal. Then an All American Hero. Magnus was required, even if Rodimus was due to take the crown later

It was probably a fan theory somewhere but would make sense given that Magnus toy ended up being a Convoy power armour thing( I think the original toy was called 'Powered Convoy', from memory) and Hasbro could again do a wholesome, leader type who lived the American way.  Robert Stack was brilliant choice for the voice for this 

• Paid Members

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. Can't say I've ever come across it.  That trailer linked by @DEF is obviously for the Japanese market. And as @DEF says those are the colours for Magnus in his original Diaclone (pre- Transformers and Hasbro) build. 

Convoy was the Japanese name for Optimus Prime. Hence Powered Convoy.

Also Magnus is a bit of a incompetent leader in TFTM. There were a lot of re-writes of TFTM and I believe post completion editing.  The Real American angle for Magnus may have been a victim of a re-write. Agree on the voice characterisation.

20200704_111853.thumb.jpg.69657763ed18e10b8535e4feb4b73708.jpg

Edited by BigJag

Ultra Magnus gets pretty badly jobbed out in TFTM. After being hand-picked by Optimus himself, he gets bookered after yanking at the Matrix like a stuck jam jar, only to have Hot Rod roll in and put his fingers in the fucking holes. Shame, because I thought Magnus looked badass and had an awesome name (I love that it just means Really Big).

I'll have to dig around and look up some of the movies mentioned in this thread. Obviously I know the OGs up until the movie, but my memory's really hazy (I was a Thundercats kid).

TFTM might be pretty grim, but I'll still take it over Bayhem any day. The modern movies are a classic example of a franchise or characters getting Vinny-Macced into oblivion, with what got them over ignored and reduced to a photo shoehorned into whatever angle they wanted to shoot. "They're robots and cars and they fight!" Optimus Prime is my dad, you fuck!

I've still got a film treatment I wrote 10 years ago somewhere on my PC. It'd no doubt make the canonists retch, but I remember it seeming pretty cool - Magnus lobbing the Matrix light years into space, Grimlock and Lazerbeak locked in battle under the earth for 100 million years, pirate King Megatron, and Optimus becoming Prime.

• Paid Members

I only saw the first Bay movie, and that was enough for me to write the cunt off. Aside from The Rock, I don't think I've seen a decent film from him. With the Transformers franchise, he was basically leaning heavily on the nostalgia/mark-out factor to cover up his utter failings as a director. The 1985 film is the only truly good TF film, as far as I'm concerned.

As regards Ultra Magnus, I too was disappointed by the treatment he got in the film, as I had the toy (although was surprised by just how much his lorry section looked a lot like Prime, just in white - I was still young and unfamiliar with manufacturing processes at that point, so didn't realise they'd just used the same cast), and I also thought the name Rodimus Prime just sounded shit. Also, Hot Rod morphed from a cool hot-rod into what I can imagine a Lamborghini estate would've looked like.

Just remembered something: years ago, during my time in Japan, I went to Man-Darake in Ikebukuro, which is like Tokyo's version of Forbidden Planet, but a couple of times bigger. In the basement, they had all the figurines, both brand new and collectibles, the latter of which were, obviously, behind security cases. In pride of place, in a case of his own, I saw Trypticon, the Decepticon version of Metroplex that transformed into a huge T-Rex. I'd never seen him before in my life, and the friend I was with explained to me that it never saw release in the UK (possibly not the US either, but he wasn't sure).

I've not seen The Last Knight but thought the ones before were awful, although the last 40 mins of Dark of the Moon were a fun rollercoaster, right up until the moment Prime goes ham and just flat out murders everyone. 

I really enjoyed Bumblebee. I think the simple fact that all the Transformers looked like their G1 versions was a big help. Was any progress made on the franchise reboot it was supposed to trigger?