VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Philadelphia (made me cry a lot)

I watched this for the first time this year and at the risk of a ban, Demme's style really got in the way of me connecting with it. Lots of actors' faces filling the whole frame right up close looking down the lens took me out of it several times. Struggled to enjoy it. 

Edited by Onyx2

I’ll never rewatch Who’s Harry Crumb. I don’t want to muddy the perfect childhood memory of the funniest man who ever lived. I’m still on the fence about rewatching The Great Outdoors so if you could do that one @SuperBacon and let me know how it views through an adult lens that’d be swell.

• Members
Just now, Mr_Danger said:

I’m still on the fence about rewatching The Great Outdoors so if you could do that one @SuperBacon and let me know how it views through an adult lens that’d be swell.

Have definitely rewatched it in the last couple of years, and IIRC really enjoyed it. Candy is the best.

• Paid Members

I watched Who's Harry Crumb? over Christmas. Like almost all his films, sadly, he's very good but the film's crap. Annie Potts and Shawnee Smith though.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Not gonna list everything but I watch most films I'm remotely interested in at the cinema and these were my faves of the year

1) Beau is Afraid (the one film I couldn't stop thinking about and telling people to watch)

2) Renfield 

3) Dream Scenario (2 nic cage films in top 3!)

Honourable mentions to; Godzilla minus one, Asteroid City, Barbie, M3gan, 65, john wick 4, Polite Society, guardians of the galaxy 3 (the only great superhero film for years), the creator, joy Ride

Least favourite 

Oppenheimer, Anatomy of a Fall, Freelance

I have a feeling I'll really like Poor Things but I haven't seen it as it's not had a wide release yet.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle
Forgot Godzilla

After the Candy comments further up the page it really made me smile to see Planes, trains and automobiles get a 10 on your list :) it’s my favourite film ever.

Its a shame he didn’t have more of a filter when it came to the roles he accepted

The massive film lists of @SuperBacon and @HarmonicGenerator have motivated me to watch more films this year. At the start of 2023, I was aiming to watch a film every day, or as close as. But that fell apart on the 3rd day. The drawbacks of having a job and other hobbies. So this year I’m going to make things easier and aim for 200 films. I don’t go to the cinema anymore, not since Covid and the increasingly shitty behaviour of other people. Which means I have to wait for new films to come out on a streaming service or be cheap enough to pick up on Blu-Ray in CEX. I’ve got a big watchlist to get through, lots of new films from the past few years (Barbie, Oppenheimer, The Fabelmans) and some older films I still haven’t seen but have wanted to for ages (Rocky Horror, Paris Texas, Eraserhead). 

Carry On Doctor - kicked off the year with this. I’ve seen them all many times when I was a kid. The genre ones (Cleo, Cowboy, Spying, Screaming) are my favourite. But this one is decent. 3/5

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse (first watch) - wow. The first half was really good, the second half was incredible. And I let out an audible “bastards!” when…

Spoiler

The “to be continued” title came up.

5/5

2 down, 198 to go. 

• Paid Members

I watched Indiana Jones and the Dial Of Destiny yesterday - I wanted to watch something I hadn't seen before, but that wouldn't require engaging my horrible hungover New Year brain.

It's not the worst Indiana Jones film, I'll give it that. It's a perfectly acceptable action romp. But it just does nothing with any of the ideas it raises - it sets itself up as a story about Indiana Jones being too old to do all his adventuring any more, and that the world has moved past the likes of him, but quarter of an hour later he's doing stunts and punching Nazis. He does so much jumping and ducking and diving about, at no point do they lean into his age preventing him from doing anything - admittedly, you're not getting the movie made if it's just an Indiana Jones version of Mr. Holmes, but surely there's drama in him being older and it raising the potential threat levels because he can't do what he used to? Nah, fuck that.

Similarly with the villain, he's set up as being a Werner Von Braun type, a Nazi scientist welcomed into the highest echelons of the American government, and that's a compelling idea for a villain, and one that could perfectly show that the world is more complicated and less black and white than the one Indiana Jones was at home in. His line that "you didn't win the war, Hitler lost" was actually a good opener to that version of the character. But nope, they remove the US connection at the earliest possible opportunity then never refer back to it or its implications, reveal that he was working under an assumed name despite that fact neither being mentioned again or altering the story or his character in any way; if anything, it undermines the premise, because the likes of Von Braun didn't need to change their names and go through all this subterfuge, political expedience meant they had the red carpet rolled out for them. I don't know how much of this problem was lazy writing, and how much of it was someone worrying that they might be painting the US as the baddies if they implied that they were rehabilitating Nazis. By the end of the movie, he's literally back in full SS regalia piloting a WW2 plane with swastikas on the wings.

The final act was utter bobbins, just a Doctor Who historical romp episode crammed into an Indy film. At some point, somebody wrote a script where a crucial plot point hinged on Harrison Ford gleefully exclaiming, "ARCHIMEDES DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT CONTINENTAL DRIFT" and countless people signed off on it. 

Also, calling the Antikythera Mechanism just "the Antikythera" was a bizarre and stupid choice.

I enjoyed it more than Crystal Skull, but it probably irritated me more, because there were ideas there that hinted at it being a better film at some point in its development. Instead, it was all a bit pointless. A criminal underuse of Karen Allen, too.

The Christmas holidays were mostly spent watching easy-going comedies with The Wife™️. Enjoyed each of Date Night, Deck the Halls, Keeping up with The Joneses, Vacation Friends and Why Him?

None of them were especially good or anything, but they were there on the various streaming services and had at least a few laughs each. Did the job. I think we might have watched one or two more, but honestly can't remember. I do remember us also watching Halloween Kills, which was disappointingly shite overall. 

I also watched some stuff on my bill, including a rather torrid hicksploitation trucker film called Truck Stop Women and a late-80s indie called South of Reno, a character study where the character isn't very interesting and not much happens and I almost fell asleep. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

The Christmas holidays were mostly spent watching easy-going comedies with The Wife™️. Enjoyed each of Date Night, 

I do remember us also watching Halloween Kills, which was disappointingly shite overall. 

I share the love for Date Night. Definitely one of the best comedies of recent times. Put it in my head to re-watch it, this evening maybe. 

And on the other end of the spectrum, Halloween Kills, and the other one, Halloween Ends? Two turds that won't flush. 

11 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I share the love for Date Night. Definitely one of the best comedies of recent times. Put it in my head to re-watch it, this evening maybe. 

A really pleasant surprise! Hell of a cast and one of those films where everyone is riffing and having a laugh and you can't help but have a laugh with them. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

And on the other end of the spectrum, Halloween Kills, and the other one, Halloween Ends? Two turds that won't flush. 

I thought Halloween Kills was absolutely terrible, but I liked Ends quite a bit more. The second one kind of destroyed any sense of what I wanted from the franchise anyway, so this going and doing something very, very different, I was kind of okay with. Although it may have been just that my expectations were in the ground already.

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I thought Halloween Kills was absolutely terrible, but I liked Ends quite a bit more. The second one kind of destroyed any sense of what I wanted from the franchise anyway, so this going and doing something very, very different, I was kind of okay with. Although it may have been just that my expectations were in the ground already.

Kills completely undid the good work that 2018 had set up. Ends had a good opening segment but went downhill very quickly, especially when you see that Michael since the previous film has been living in a sewer like a Ninja Turtle