WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'd somehow never played the DLC to the first Dark Souls and fuck me is it because I've never played it or is it tougher than the main game, Artorias was a such bitch to put down until I learnt you could batter him out of his little spell that strengthens him and even then the way he dictates the pace can catch you off guard.

Are you playing it NG+ difficulty? I’m learning that I should have played The Old Hunters dlc prior to finishing the main game. Not sure I’ve got the patience to go back and struggle through Dark Souls dlc on NG+ as well.

14 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Are you playing it NG+ difficulty? I’m learning that I should have played The Old Hunters dlc prior to finishing the main game. Not sure I’ve got the patience to go back and struggle through Dark Souls dlc on NG+ as well.

Nah, I rolled a brand new character on PS4 as I just found a cheap copy of Remastered. But yeah, ouch, The Old Hunters bosses will be tough as fuck on NG+.

Edit: I take it all back, I just killed Manus first time without any real trouble. His attacks just don't do much damage and rarely if ever break through your block or poise, weird.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I'm normally into the Fallout/Eldar Scrolls type games,

Oh then look no further than Outer Worlds. Same developers as Fallout New Vegas, it's basically Fallout in space. It's on Game Pass too. 

• Paid Members

As part of my new mobile contract I got a year's free Xbox game pass and and a Razer controller so I can play on my mobile.

What games do you guys recommend? I'm normally into the Fallout/Eldar Scrolls type games, but enjoy giving most things a try. Except sports games.

Even though I'm stuck on a level I must have failed 50 times at, loving Doom Eternal.

Edited by Weezenal

As part of my new mobile contract I got a year's free Xbox game pass and and a Razer controller so I can play on my mobile.

What games do you guys recommend? I'm normally into the Fallout/Eldar Scrolls type games, but enjoy giving most things a try. Except sports games.

Pretty different to either of those games but still set in a lovingly crafted world are the Yakuza games, they play like a big manly soap opera with a lot of the Yakuza movie tropes and a whole bunch of surprisingly funny moments. Start with Zero, it's the prequel to the entire series and probably the best overall which nails just about everything right. And if you don't fall in love with Majima (and most of the cast tbf) there's something wrong with you.

Been playing It Takes Two on the PS4 with a mate. It’s by the same team that put out A Way Out and it’s quite possibly the most original and enjoyable thing I’ve played in years. It takes aspects from so many genres and pays tribute to many games from over the years. The story is poignant and lovely and really makes you work as a team. Highly recommend it! Plus only one of you needs the full game, the other just needs to download the free demo. Bags of fun! 

• Paid Members

To the surprise of absolutely nobody Max (as in the version you fight at the end of the X Tower stage) was announced as the second character coming in the Mr X Nightmare DLC for Streets Of Rage 4. It still looks like Shiva (the version you fight at the end of the Chinatown stage) as the third one. I'm looking forward to it. I had a crack through as Streets 4 Adam the other weekend, and it feels a lot fairer than it used to. 

• Paid Members

I've been playing God of War for the past few weeks after loving the first 2 on the PS2. The shift from Greek mythology to Norse is cool (albeit a little less original these days) and I had a blast playing through the story. Decided to go for the Platinum and there is only one enemy and trophy left standing in the way of my goal. Sigrun, the Queen of the Valkyries.

Oh my fucking life. Stayed up all night last night trying over and over again to beat this bitch and yet couldn't even get her below half of her health bar in all that time. Your reactions have to be pinpoint accurate - just a couple of mistakes and she kills you. I played the rest of the game on normal difficulty and I even ended up being a bit of a shitebag and changing the difficulty to easy for this fight and to no avail - she wrecks me every single time. Determined to get that Platinum but fuck knows how I'm going to take her down.

Anyone beat Sigrun? Any tips appreciated!

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

Treated myself to an eshop voucher and picked myself up some interesting games in the sales. Cloudpunk is a delivery driver type thing, but there seems to be an interesting story there. The characters are fascinating, with Camus the dog/AI/car a particular delight. It's got an odd look, but it doesn't feel out of place. 

Cozy Grove takes more than a little influence from Animal Crossing, but also has an interesting mechanic where once you've done that day's tasks you're pretty much told to come back tomorrow as there's nothing else to do. There's a story, and the characters you meet have their stories as well, hence the reason it tries to pace itself out a little. It's a pleasant distraction with some amusing writing and a cute visual style. 

Tonight We Riot is an odd one. It was 99% off so I picked it up for 13p. You're trying to seize the means of production and play a lone proletariat at first using almost beat em up like mechanics to smash the oppressors, liberate fellow workers and increase your numbers. As more people get freed they help out and can assist you with seizing technology etc which allows access to weapons and more (vehicles, mechs, kaiju) as you try to cast off the chains of capitalism. A fun distraction. 

• Paid Members

It's fun, but the career can be annoying when it sticks you in tag matches and your AI controlled partner is doing most of the work. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I've been playing God of War for the past few weeks after loving the first 2 on the PS2. The shift from Greek mythology to Norse is cool (albeit a little less original these days) and I had a blast playing through the story. Decided to go for the Platinum and there is only one enemy and trophy left standing in the way of my goal. Sigrun, the Queen of the Valkyries.

Oh my fucking life. Stayed up all night last night trying over and over again to beat this bitch and yet couldn't even get her below half of her health bar in all that time. Your reactions have to be pinpoint accurate - just a couple of mistakes and she kills you. I played the rest of the game on normal difficulty and I even ended up being a bit of a shitebag and changing the difficulty to easy for this fight and to no avail - she wrecks me every single time. Determined to get that Platinum but fuck knows how I'm going to take her down.

Anyone beat Sigrun? Any tips appreciated!

Try and get a build that focuses on cooldown as spamming your runic attacks for both weapons is key. Keep dodging to your right as from memory a lot of her attacks come from the left. 

I know it sounds obvious but spend time learning her attacks. For example when she clams up hit her with your shield and then cause damage.

Don’t forget to constantly use the kids arrows (pressing square I think) as that can make a big difference. 

Also, get the best resurrection stone. Pop your rage just before your about to die first time as that will build health. Then when you do die and get resurrected pop the rage ASAP again to build up more health

Good luck! 

• Paid Members

Huge thank you for this @waters44! used your advice and got a rage resurrection stone instead of a health one. I still got killed about 100 times before I went into the menus to see if there was anything else I could upgrade. Went to check the difficulty, and discovered that it never actually saved when I changed it last night. I faced her again and only one more time dying later... 

I fucking did it! The Platinum is now mine. Probably not the most sporting way of getting it, but who cares, it had stopped being fun by this point and I just wanted to finally kill her! While you can learn her attacks and how to deal with each one, they come at you so relentlessly and at random that I found it so hard to react in time and do the correct counter. Brutal boss, up there with Sephiroth in the first Kingdom Hearts in the most difficult enemy I've faced in a game but man, it feels so good when you finally rip off her wings after 2 straight days of pain.

Cracking game! I have a big stack of games that I've been accumulating for a few months so it will be on to something new tomorrow!