WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

finally finished the main story of Red Dead Redemption 2 on Saturday. Fucking hell, what a game. Easily sits somewhere in my top three of the PS4 generation (as limited as my exposure to the AAA games of said generation as has been). Absolutely adored it.

So much of the end stretch is predictable, but that isn't a criticism - the story builds beautifully to that point, and the whole crux of the final act is Arthur coming to terms with what's happening. There are a couple of moments toward the end that felt heartbreaking in how inevitable they were, but how much of an emotional gut punch they would have been to Arthur as a character, and just brilliantly executed. That there's still some ambiguity around the motivation of some of the characters - or at least, how long they had really been wrong'uns for - just adds to that.

13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

finally finished the main story of Red Dead Redemption 2 on Saturday. Fucking hell, what a game. Easily sits somewhere in my top three of the PS4 generation (as limited as my exposure to the AAA games of said generation as has been). Absolutely adored it.

So much of the end stretch is predictable, but that isn't a criticism - the story builds beautifully to that point, and the whole crux of the final act is Arthur coming to terms with what's happening. There are a couple of moments toward the end that felt heartbreaking in how inevitable they were, but how much of an emotional gut punch they would have been to Arthur as a character, and just brilliantly executed. That there's still some ambiguity around the motivation of some of the characters - or at least, how long they had really been wrong'uns for - just adds to that.

It was a long drawn out trauma for me. I’m sure it was real life shit getting brought out of that locked box I keep hidden away in my mind but I felt genuine grief at the end of that game. Absolutely crazy how a massive cowboy game can rake that kind of emotion out of you.

When you say the main part do you mean the epilogue too? That’s definitely a long drawn out something too.

• Paid Members

I haven't completed the epilogue yet - I'm enjoying having a new bit of world to explore, but going from that ending back to fairly basic fetch quests is a change of pace that's been a bit of a shock to the system.

Ending spoilers;

Spoiler

The ambiguities that are key to the story for me are whether or not Micah actually was the rat who sold you out to the Pinkertons, or if that was them trying to create dissent within the Gang - Micah was obviously a full blown wrong'un regardless, but I like that there's (as far as I'm aware) no smoking gun to actually prove that it was him. You have to choose whether to trust Micah or Agent Milton, neither of whom you'd want to take at your word.

The other is Dutch. Did he go crazy, or did you just start to see through his bullshit? Was the entire game (and everything that preceded it) just him manipulating desperate people to his own ends, or was there something that happened along the way to make him snap and get sloppy? The emotional gut punch I mentioned was at Cornwall's oil plant, when he walks out on Arthur rather than saving him - it was so inevitable, and Dutch for the first time really showing you his true self; before that, he might have gone crazy, but you could still sort of believe him when he talked about loyalty, now he was irredeemable. It's a fantastic piece of video game storytelling, because the player sees it coming before Arthur does, so you're just devastated for him.

There are some plot points that sort of feel potentially unresolved, but not in a way I would consider a negative - life has unresolved plot points, and the whole thread of Arthur's story is that he only realises the importance of doing the right thing when he doesn't have enough time left. It wouldn't work if he managed to tie everything up neatly before the end.

I was really moved by Arthur saying a final goodbye to his horse - something I understand only happens if you have full bonding levels with your horse at the end - but it was somewhat undermined by the fact that at least two previous horses had been a complete write-off after getting hit by trains.

End Spoiler

Spoiler

I felt Dutch always had it in him but just kept it in reserve out of self preservation. It serves Dutch to have a degree of honour, it serves Dutch to be seen as a loyal leader with loyal disciples. As soon as another way becomes more serving he slips to that way of doing things with ease. He’s just so bloody likeable that he’s able to hide that side from everyone but I think it’s always there.

End of epilogue spoiler

Spoiler

Dutch does redeem himself a tad by leaving John a fuck load of gold so that throws some question mark over his level of scumbaggery.

• Moderators

Original or the new one? Can't speak for the new one but the charm for me in the original was the web swinging and the writing that bright the characterisation to life. Apart from that, yes, functionally it is basically a reskin of the Batman game. But I loved it anyway because I really felt like Spider-Man when playing it.

• Paid Members

It does really get the feel of being Spider-Man down. There's a decent amount to do. I managed to get a little bit more of it done last night. I'm slowly getting there ahead of the arrival of Miles Morales, although I've still got the DLC chapters to crack on at as well. 

The original although I feel like I might prefer the new one due to it being Miles, this version of Peter Parker isn't grabbing me at all. I'll give it more time and see how the writing progresses, it was only a fiver so if I could easily sell it for more and make a little profit.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm into the Sinister Six portion of original Spidey, and keep getting disheartened by how difficult it's gotten to stop all the crimes. Are they still there after I've finished the main game? I really want to try and get as much of the game finished as possible. 

If it's the Silver Sable guys and all the convicts with guns causing you trouble, yeah they fuck off after the main story's done and the streets go back to normal.

I think the story in the first definitely gathers pace further in to the game. The second is much the same but all a bit tighter and I do prefer Miles.

I get the Ubisoft complaint, to me it feels inauthentic and not lived in but that’s mostly because the city exists to be a massive playground to swing off and they clearly didn’t want to bog down the development with the extra work to make the ground game much more meaningful. To be fair any game that isn’t a Rockstar game or BotW feels inauthentic to me now though.

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I think the story in the first definitely gathers pace further in to the game. The second is much the same but all a bit tighter and I do prefer Miles.

I get the Ubisoft complaint, to me it feels inauthentic and not lived in but that’s mostly because the city exists to be a massive playground to swing off and they clearly didn’t want to bog down the development with the extra work to make the ground game much more meaningful. To be fair any game that isn’t a Rockstar game or BotW feels inauthentic to me now though.

Yakuza has nailed the lived in city vibe for me, but the maps are much tighter. The port town in Hiroshima is especially lovely and gives the series a whole new energy.

• Paid Members

Playing Assassins Creed Valhalla and just completed a quest that I can only assume some bored developer added. I helped an ahead of his time musician called Keith deal with a Bishop, which led to Keith singing a song with the lyrics 'smack my Bishop, smack my Bishop'.

The quest, obviously called The Prodigy.

On 12/7/2020 at 12:20 PM, Mr_Danger said:

End of epilogue spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Dutch does redeem himself a tad by leaving John a fuck load of gold so that throws some question mark over his level of scumbaggery.

What bothered me about the end of the epilogue was:

[SPOILER]Edit: Spoiler tags not working so fuck it I guess.[/SPOILER]

Still love the game though.

Edited by Uncle Zeb