Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

There does seem to be this whole thing where if it's a woman forcing herself on a man it's some kind of fantasy, but there's also some kind of massive confusion as "I love when a woman knows what she wants and isn't afraid to take it" seems to all go out of the window when what she wants is to not have sex with somebody. 

• 1 month later...

I truly feel we won't see whether Speaking Out had had an impact until fans can return. Either it will have a huge impact on attendance or we'll find out that the vocal social media fanbase isn't big enough to make a difference.  The family-based shows will continue even with people involved who shouldn't be because the target audience is very unlikely to use Twitter to follow wrestling.

As mungoChutney says it just doesn’t feel like it got far enough reach, and that companies are happy to give up that fraction of their audience to provide a product for those that remain. Which totally underestimates that it was the hardcore of fans that brought friends and shared online etc to introduce a lotta new people to attend. Pre this This the big 2 of icw and progress had both seen attendances decline, that will only get worse 

I honestly feel like the world has had so much other shit going on that this has mostly been forgotten about.

It'll take a lot of pressure and digging it all up again in a few months to really put it back in the spotlight and for it to be taken seriously again.

I'm sure there are those out there that will take responsibility for doing so. It's just a tough time right now.

25 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I honestly feel like the world has had so much other shit going on that this has mostly been forgotten about.

It'll take a lot of pressure and digging it all up again in a few months to really put it back in the spotlight and for it to be taken seriously again.

I'm sure there are those out there that will take responsibility for doing so. It's just a tough time right now.

I don't think there is a will to change it sadly. Some businesses think its blown out of proportion. Others don't want the hassle. Some don't want the media spotlight so shut the convo down. It seems rife in every area of work. I work in health and got groped by a colleague and they told me not to make a fuss. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

I don't think there is a will to change it sadly. Some businesses think its blown out of proportion. Others don't want the hassle. Some don't want the media spotlight so shut the convo down. It seems rife in every area of work. I work in health and got groped by a colleague and they told me not to make a fuss. 

Fucking hell, man. Genuinely sorry to read that. I hope one day you'll feel confident and safe enough to tell somebody about it.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Progress are on the WWE Network tonight. There's been no significant guidelines put in place, no investigations, they arent telling anyone whether or not the accused are agenting the shows backstage or not. Wrestling is shit, nothing has changed and fuck off.

It’s on the WWE network. Which promotion on there hasn’t had Allegations made against them during this moment and done nothing. Even WWE have done nothing against Theory, Riddle or Dream so not sure what you expect really

Im surprised anyone actually thought anything would come of all this. We should all know better by now. There’s always a bit of lip service initially in wrestling before everything is brushed under the carpet.

It seems the only people worse off are a couple of real top end scum like joey Ryan, a few disposable nobodies and, unfortunately and somewhat unfathomably, several of the women that now have huge legal bills that, without things like go fund me’s, are going to be financially crippled for years.

20 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Progress are on the WWE Network tonight. There's been no significant guidelines put in place, no investigations, they arent telling anyone whether or not the accused are agenting the shows backstage or not. Wrestling is shit, nothing has changed and fuck off.

Massively ironic from someone who once suggested, on here, that he’d rape my daughters! 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It’s on the WWE network. Which promotion on there hasn’t had Allegations made against them during this moment and done nothing. Even WWE have done nothing against Theory, Riddle or Dream so not sure what you expect really

Well, they changed Riddle's name to try and trick Google's algorithms.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Im surprised anyone actually thought anything would come of all this. We should all know better by now. There’s always a bit of lip service initially in wrestling before everything is brushed under the carpet.

What will come out of it is that individual promotions will do better than others, and rather than investing their time in supporting those doing better, inexplicably people will spend all of their time hoping that the promotions who have already cocked things up will one day magically improve and do things differently.

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Fucking hell, man. Genuinely sorry to read that. I hope one day you'll feel confident and safe enough to tell somebody about it.

It was 13 years ago and he has left the job since. I had proof I was being harassed and got told not to rock the boat or my career may be compromised. It's one of those things but it's fairly common. It's one of those things. Thanks! 

• Paid Members

It's almost as if the people in charge who have power to do something about it are scared some skeletons will come crashing out of their own closets if they do decide to do something about it, so they nervously laugh and try to deflect.