Wrestling #MeToo #SpeakingOut

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, LCJ said:

From what I can gather, Ric Flair spent more money than he earned and most likely still needs the money while he’s seemingly cancelled from the major promotions. Wouldn’t be surprised if the whole Becky Lynch/Charlotte Flair thing is a work though. From the belt dropping incident, the heated exchange backstage and Ric’s comments about Becky. All when “two people who legit hate each other have a match at Survivor Series”. All seems a bit too coincidental. Like WWE are trying to re-enact a women’s version of Bret v Shawn.

Go for a walk, will you.

29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Ricky 2, sorry, no belts

Wait, is he saying the Winged Eagle belt that I assume WWE has somewhere belongs to him?

And doesn't Billy Corgan or someone have the NWA belt?

Here's Becky Lynch responding to Flair's shit with that "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" energy.

Edited by 69MeDon

58 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

WWE have the NWA belt after Ric sold it/gave it up as collateral or something to High Spots, right?

I do seem to remember him giving it to High Spots as collateral to do a shoot interview with them.

Theres no way he’s got the Eagle belt though as WWE were using that up until 1998 when Austin won his first.

I suppose he could referring to replicas

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I do seem to remember him giving it to High Spots as collateral to do a shoot interview with them

I recalled that, and then he owed them money and they tried to sell it and it turned out he'd sell it himself whenever he was short of a few quid. So I went and checked and the below is from Mike Johnson on PWI in 2009.

The latest development involving the original NWA World Heavyweight championship belt Highspots.com has been auctioning off in order to settle a debt Ric Flair has with the company is that Highspots may not be able to sell the belt in the first place.

As it turns out, Flair doesn't technically own the championship.  According to a document acquired by PWInsider.com, the belt had been previously used as collateral as part of a financial issue between Flair and Matthews, North Carolina corporation Conbraco Industries, Inc. that pre-dated Flair's issues with Highspots.

On 8/26/08, Flair and Conbraco jointly filed a secured loan via a Universal Commercial Code (UCC) document.  That filing created a lien against Flair's property, preventing him from selling it off without settling whatever debt he has to Conbraco. 

While the financial background of what led to Flair's dealings with Conbraco isn't immediately clear, that documentation listed the following items as collateral that the corporation could conceivably seize from Flair's possession:

*Flair's NWA championship belt (specifically listed as original)
*Flair's WCW championship belt (specifically listed as replica)
*Flair's "wrestling robes, trunks, and boots"
*Flair's "Wrestling Hall of Fame ring"
*Flair's "Presidential Rolex, inscribed with "To Be The Man."
*Flair's "framed magazine covers, which include his likeness."
*A 4x3 autographed poster of Michael Jordan
*a 4x3 autographed poster of Vince McMahon and Flair.
*a framed, personalized Kevin Green jersey.
*Commercial claims arising from a previous lawsuit Flair was involved with.
*Additional "proceeds and products."

Conbraco recently approached Highspots to inform them that while they have yet to claim possession of any Flair assets, they would legally pursue any money raised from the sale of the belt, as they have a legal claim to the belt and its worth.  Highspots has quietly removed the listing of the title belt's auction from their website

So it's a legacy he cares so much about he'll pawn it or put it up against a loan to get cash at least twice. 

Edited by Tommy!

I'm quite surprised that virtually no one (not on this forum, but just generally) has made any link with Flair's erratic behaviour over the years to CTE. Surely he's a classic case, no? 72 years old now, with a wrestling career that lasted, what? 40 years or something?

I mean, at 72 years old there's a good chance he's losing it a bit mentally anyway, but I would actually be surprised if they examined his brain when he does eventually pass away and didn't find many of the signs of CTE.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I'm quite surprised that virtually no one (not on this forum, but just generally) has made any link with Flair's erratic behaviour over the years to CTE. Surely he's a classic case, no? 72 years old now, with a wrestling career that lasted, what? 40 years or something?

I mean, at 72 years old there's a good chance he's losing it a bit mentally anyway, but I would actually be surprised if they examined his brain when he does eventually pass away and didn't find many of the signs of CTE.

He’s a known alcoholic, definitely been on drugs as well, and he’s not especially known for getting hit in the head.

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He’s a known alcoholic, definitely been on drugs as well, and he’s not especially known for getting hit in the head.

I don't think CTE is only the result of direct blows to the head though, is it? I mean, 40 years of taking bumps is going to rattle anyone's skull. I'm fairly confident that if he died tomorrow and his brain was sent to the appropriate medical experts he would not get a clean bill of health. 

Having read various articles about boxers who have been diagnosed with similar issues, his behaviour is very similar. 

30 minutes ago, David said:

I'm fairly confident that if he died tomorrow and his brain was sent to the appropriate medical experts he would not get a clean bill of health.

I reckon you'd win that bet.