Wrestlers you DON’T like but had no idea why

HarmonicGenerator

Ric Flair. 

I can see that I should like him.  I can see he can/could talk very well. I bought into the nostalgia/resurgence of the early to mid noughties (brought on more by that first DVD set).

As the title suggests. I should like him. I just don't. And have no real understanding as to why not.

Flair for me as well. I get why I didn’t like Bret Hart - he was boring in the matches, did shitty footballer-esque promos, and was just a proper letdown after the Hogan and Warrior era. But Ric Flair had the charisma and the bells and whistles, so I should enjoy his work. But I’ve only ever enjoyed him as a pathetic old parody who cries all the time and elbow drops his jacket when he gets excited.

The Undertaker.

I know. It’s been a long three decades for me..

I think it stems from me listening to Survivor Series 90 with the picture scrambled and them going “Look at the size of this guy” and being disappointed when I saw him and he wasn’t about 600lbs. I was well into Tugboat and Boss Man around this time, loved a big fat wrestler.

Then, at Mania, I had 10p on Snuka beating this so called phenom at 10/1 (Christopher Hamill from the next year was running a book and I didn’t know how pushes worked yet) and the fucker cost me a quid and my stake back.

Ive never really got onboard since. I don’t think he’s shit or anything but I’ve also never cared about his stuff really.

2 hours ago, IronSheik said:

I blame Vince McMahon for conditioning us to think that anything less than steroid freak isn't worthy 🤣

I dont see anyone saying that though.. 

I just preferred Austin, Hart, Michaels and HHH (at his 2000 peak) 

Edited by Michael_3165

52 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Flair for me as well. I get why I didn’t like Bret Hart - he was boring in the matches, did shitty footballer-esque promos, and was just a proper letdown after the Hogan and Warrior era. But Ric Flair had the charisma and the bells and whistles, so I should enjoy his work. But I’ve only ever enjoyed him as a pathetic old parody who cries all the time and elbow drops his jacket when he gets excited.

The problem w flair for me was that every match was the same. Whether he was against Steamboat, Luger or Sting it was the same. I know most wrestlers have certain signatures but he almost never changed it up. I also always found he was ancient even in the 80s. How could I find a someone cool who looked like he was pushing 60 and still talking about fuckin loads of women and partying like some belated midlife crisis. 

Just googled his age... That said he was FORTY in 1989... Oh god the crying from 1998 onward was hysterical. Now he just stumbles around line he has escaped a home and doesn't know where he ism it's so sad. 

Edited by Michael_3165

3 hours ago, ElCece said:

I don't despise the guy but I've always disliked Edge.

He is a decent if somewhat overrated worker, competent at least on the mic and had a slew of very good matches. 

The only thing I can think of that would put me off him is that he has an incredibly large face which is disconcerting. 

Oddly I really enjoyed Edge as a white meat babyface on SmackDown but once he was around the world title picture I never really enjoyed watching him. He just seemed decidedly average. I think most people would feel the exact opposite to that.

I feel similarly about Christian. I loved him in his Captain Charisma (deserves a bigger push) days but the minute he won the world title in TNA and for the rest of his career he was "meh" for me.

• Paid Members

Hard topic really this, one I've been pondering the last hour.

A lot of iconic wrestlers I've never been arsed about, simply because I missed their glory days and going back to watch wrestling before my time doesn't do anything for me. So Flair, Bret, Hogan, Warrior... anyone who was a big star before the Attitude era really. It's not that I dislike them but I don't have the connection to them that a lot of people do. HBK is exempt from this because of his second run in the noughties.

I was thinking Undertaker because I've never liked him despite his work with Edge, HBK, HHH, Batista... but I think I do have a reason for that, and thats because I hate supernatural gimmicks so the character has never once appealed to me.

My mates usually reckon I'm making this up because of how he ended up but I never liked Benoit. It was odd because I should've loved the in-ring style - I bummed Malenko, Angle, Jericho, Guerrero - but I found Benoit boring and would mentally switch off during his matches.

The biggest one though is probably Jeff Hardy. Can't fucking stand him. I can think of potential reasons why - dresses like a teenage girl rebelling against her parents for the first time, his offence is pathetic, he can't cut a promo - but these reasons arn't enough to justify how much he fucking annoys me the second his stupid music hits.

4 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

The problem w flair for me was that every match was the same. Whether he was against Steamboat, Luger or Sting it was the same. I know most wrestlers have certain signatures but he almost never changed it up.

Up until a few days ago I'd have agreed with that, until I started watching a best of Ricky Steamboat set. While his later, more widely seen work does tend to rely on familiar tropes in the same place every time, I was really surprised at the 1978 matches where things weren't as predictable. Even his Flair flops weren't the same every time, there were some where he'd stumble to his knees first.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Vamp said:

I feel similarly about Christian. I loved him in his Captain Charisma (deserves a bigger push) days but the minute he won the world title in TNA and for the rest of his career he was "meh" for me.

+1 from me to Christian - he was someone I wanted to love as a singles wrestler but I could just not do it. As one half of the tag team that reeked of awesomeness he was at his strongest IMO.

Possible controversial one from me - Bill Goldberg. I've just never bought into him.

QT Marshall. I feel genuinely angry every time I see him on Dynamite. I can explain why I dislike him (he’s bland and doesn’t deserve the TV time he gets) but I can’t explain or justify why I dislike him as much as I do. Even I can recognise that it’s disproportionate.

2 hours ago, lars85 said:

Shannon Moore. I always hated his stupid fucking face. And I've just googled him again to see if I was being irrational. I wasn't, fuck him and his stupid fucking face.

I used to feel the same way about Lex Luger and Greg Valentine as a kid. I really couldn't stand them and it only dawned on me as I got older it was because of their punchable faces.

As for modern day wrestlers, I can't stand Tegan Nox for some unknown reason. She does nothing to offend me or annoy me but I just can't warm to her at all. I'm sure she's lovely in real life but she's proper fast forward material.