Awful sections in otherwise fantastic videogames

RedRooster

I’m re-playing Final Fantasy VII at the moment and (for me) it’s aged far better than a lot of people suggest.

However, there’s one section of the game that stinks, and stank even back when it was released - the compulsory snowboarding mini-game. It lasts for an agonising 5 minutes, it’s almost impossible to handle the snowboard without crashing every 10 seconds and there’s not even any nice music to distract you from this tedious mess.

Any other examples of this, great games with objectively awful segments? 

Please try to avoid plot spoilers, and if you do reference them, use spoiler tags!

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

I mean, this conversation starts and ends with the Zero missions in San Andreas, doesn't it.

It's not just that they're all so difficult but they're made all the more irritating by fucking Zero's heckling. Cunt.

• Paid Members

Final Fantasy VII for me too. I played it when it first came out and got stuck near the end of the first disc - the PS Classic was a great way for me to revisit it, even if it's a bit blockier than it should be.

By the time I'm on disc 2, I'm finding it increasingly boring. I'm leveling up, sure - but the enemies are leveling up proportionately. By a certain point in the game, nothing has changed except the animations. It's about the same level of difficulty throughout, and I'm really at the point where I just cannot be doing with random attacks any more. It's just become so repetitive.

I put it down a couple of months ago and haven't gone back. I'm now not sure if I ever will. 

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a brilliant game, in a lot ways on par or improving on the original but those boss fights were just awful. You're forced into fighting them with lethal means which completely goes against the rest of the game where you're given multiple choices on how to do things, non-lethal if you choose. The Director's Cut or whatever fixed that later on but that meant purchasing another game just to do it.

• Paid Members

Any conversation of bad parts in Final Fantasy 7 needs to begin and end with Gaea's Cliff. Utterly tedious temperature regulation mini-"game" with zero actual gameplay appeal whatsoever. 

• Paid Members

I want to nominate the 'Pipe Organ floating' bit in Bart vs the Space Mutants from way back in 1991. I remember I would breeze through up until this point and then usually lose all my lives in about 2 minutes failing to cross to the other side. Often resulting in child tears and throwing/attempted snapping of my Master System controller. I can't recall ever getting past. 

Screenshot_20200605-123050_YouTube.thumb.jpg.3790e534510c8a42cacdd8eca6f6ef1c.jpg

I got very excited to post this and then realised this thread was for good games with bad parts. This game was pretty shit on the whole, but I'm posting it anyway as for some crazy reason, it still pops into my head. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

25 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m re-playing Final Fantasy VII at the moment and (for me) it’s aged far better than a lot of people suggest.

However, there’s one section of the game that stinks, and stank even back when it was released - the compulsory snowboarding mini-game. It lasts for an agonising 5 minutes, it’s almost impossible to handle the snowboard without crashing every 10 seconds and there’s not even any nice music to distract you from this tedious mess.

Any other examples of this, great games with objectively awful segments? 

Please try to avoid plot spoilers, and if you do reference them, use spoiler tags!

20 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Final Fantasy VII for me too. I played it when it first came out and got stuck near the end of the first disc - the PS Classic was a great way for me to revisit it, even if it's a bit blockier than it should be.

By the time I'm on disc 2, I'm finding it increasingly boring. I'm leveling up, sure - but the enemies are leveling up proportionately. By a certain point in the game, nothing has changed except the animations. It's about the same level of difficulty throughout, and I'm really at the point where I just cannot be doing with random attacks any more. It's just become so repetitive.

I put it down a couple of months ago and haven't gone back. I'm now not sure if I ever will. 

I find different people have different experiences with FF7, The Materia Keeper took me ages on my first ever go and I think in the end I started over as i'd missed a shit load of summons and leveling up opportunities. However some mates found the weapons you have to fight difficult whereas I had no issues. 

20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I mean, this conversation starts and ends with the Zero missions in San Andreas, doesn't it.

It's not just that they're all so difficult but they're made all the more irritating by fucking Zero's heckling. Cunt.

This was the first thing that came into my mind, tried to replay the game recently on emulation and the RC plane mission is actually impossible due to the minute lag in my controller meaning flying is not a smooth. In the end the charm of replaying the game again wore off.

Vice City Stories had the fire engine mission to extinguish the whore house which I couldn't get through either. 

Resident Evil 4 gave me some problems in a few places, I particularly remember the castle section and have to mention Tubular on Super Mario World and the level on Donkey Kong Country where you're in the mine cart and have to do a load of repeated jumps at a very fast pace.

• Paid Members

The bastard underwater Dam area in TMNT on the NES and Commadore 64. Probably harder on the C64 but I just remember it being infuriating.

• Paid Members

I hate nightmare/dream sections. See Uncharted games and Max Payne games for instance. I'm sure they have their fans but I die inside when they start.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Those bits in GTA:SA where you chase the train

7n9vs1q7.jpg.ebf5a4342dbebbdb917b90ffd2c73659.jpg

Saying that though, when I replayed San Andreas several years ago, I found the Wrong Side of the Tracks mission a lot easier. Same with flight school (I bet @Chest Rockwell still has nightmares).

The Zero RC plane mission though can fuck right off.

2 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The mission where you accidentally take some hallucinogenics and have to walk through a forest while tripping balls that seems to be in every Farcry game.  

I remember the one where you took shrooms or something in Far Cry 3, but then there was also the brilliant mission where you have to blaze the crop of weed with a flamethrower (nicked from San Andreas) with Skrillex & Damien Marley playing on loop.

I nominate Legend of Zelda- Twilight Princess. Every time you had to turn into the fucking wolf and fight those tarmac-looking monsters.