Awful sections in otherwise fantastic videogames

RedRooster

Heh, I really like Gaea's Cliff. It's still at that position where you're coming down from Sephiroth killing Aeris and I find that whole slow crawl out of disc 2 oddly cathartic. In fact Final Fantasy VII as a whole is pretty generous for not having too many stinker sections. VIII on the other hand nosedives after the first disc. The entire second disc seems to be going in and out of Balamb Garden like an idiot and piloting it around the ugly ass world map. Compare that to how many lovely, varied locales IX and X take you through on their respective road trips. 

maxresdefault.jpg 

Here's my nomination. This photo should be sufficient to give anyone whose suffered through it some serious PTSD. 

• Paid Members

VIII is full of needless backtracking shit. Even early on, when you have to change in and out of your uniform a couple of times - it's just forcing you to walk to your room to change into a near identical outfit. I don't think I'd have got through my last replay of it if the remaster didn't have a fast-forward option.

Max Payne and the Blood Mazes spoilt a really decent game back in the day.  I get the audio sensory deprivation, but pixel perfect jumps whilst trying not to become part of your own nightmare is just uber crappy 

Loads of screaming at the start of this so keep volume down

Having recently played it I thought the boat yard section in Uncharted 3 was about 50% longer than it had to be. Some nice set pieces but I was glad to get out of there by the end of it. 

I could have happily spent another hour in Madagascar on 4 though.

Edited by Mr_Danger

I can hear this picture. Not an awful section as in crap, awful as in my blood pressure is going up just looking at that image and hearing the music in my head. That's not even the worst bit, it's getting to the top of that section and having to double back on yourself over the water. Mis-time a jump and you're back dealing with that shit again.

My kids ask me to get them past that section and it still stresses me out.

chemicalplantzoneact2_shot2.png

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I can hear this picture. Not an awful section as in crap, awful as in my blood pressure is going up just looking at that image and hearing the music in my head. That's not even the worst bit, it's getting to the top of that section and having to double back on yourself over the water. Mis-time a jump and you're back dealing with that shit again.

My kids ask me to get them past that section and it still stresses me out.

chemicalplantzoneact2_shot2.png

You dont have to do that section. Just stip through a little gap and you go into another section where there's loads of boxes and rings and then you drop straight into the boss part. I havent done that bit in about 20 years. I refuse to go through that shite.

Ghostbusters for the mega drive was a pisser as well. Great game up until the end, and then its pretty much covid-19, trying to dodge every chav and pensioner who might have it in Sainsburys.

10 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Whenever a game strips you of all your weapons and powers that you have spent hours earning is a lazy plot device I can't stand. 

BotW defies this logic with Eventide Island. Proof yet again that it’s probably the greatest game ever made. The mazes can get to fuck.