Awful sections in otherwise fantastic videogames

RedRooster

52 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I can hear this picture. Not an awful section as in crap, awful as in my blood pressure is going up just looking at that image and hearing the music in my head. That's not even the worst bit, it's getting to the top of that section and having to double back on yourself over the water. Mis-time a jump and you're back dealing with that shit again.

My kids ask me to get them past that section and it still stresses me out.

chemicalplantzoneact2_shot2.png

In this section of the remade Chemical Plant Zone in Sonic Mania, there's a giant ring to go to a special stage hidden right at the bottom of the level. I'd played Sonic Mania so many times that the next time I played Sonic 2 I dropped to the bottom on purpose out of habit.

Water levels in Sonic games can do one in general. Aquatic Ruin and Hydrocity are better because you can tend to avoid a lot of the water, but Labyrinth Zone... *shudders*

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

VIII is full of needless backtracking shit. Even early on, when you have to change in and out of your uniform a couple of times - it's just forcing you to walk to your room to change into a near identical outfit. I don't think I'd have got through my last replay of it if the remaster didn't have a fast-forward option.

I breezed through the Switch release of VIII until I reached the final bosses. Without spoiling it, the second (I think) stage of the final boss begins with an unskippable attack. It insta-kills my party even when they’re all on full health.

Because FFVIII is a bit more forgiving as far as grinding goes, I didn’t bother doing that. So while I’m at a decent level, obviously it’s not quite high enough to survive this. Being totalled by an unskippable attack at the start of a battle is unbelievably cheap.

1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

You dont have to do that section. Just stip through a little gap and you go into another section where there's loads of boxes and rings and then you drop straight into the boss part. I havent done that bit in about 20 years. I refuse to go through that shite.

Well bugger me, I never knew that. Wonder if that's the same on the remade versions for mobile and whatnot? May have to give that a try later.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I mean, this conversation starts and ends with the Zero missions in San Andreas, doesn't it.

It's not just that they're all so difficult but they're made all the more irritating by fucking Zero's heckling. Cunt.

Yes this. I found it hilarious when people on here were crying about wrong side of the tracks, it was hard but not brutally so. Flight school was also hard if you hard zero game flight experience, but as a TRUE NERD who had played Microsoft Flight Simulator a bunch that was a breeze for me. However, all of the Zero missions were fucking awful.

• Paid Members

In playing all the Resident Evils through lately I couldn't bring myself to finish 4 because of how dreadful Ashley is and you're stuck with her for about half of the game, if not more.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, neil said:

Yes this. I found it hilarious when people on here were crying about wrong side of the tracks, it was hard but not brutally so. Flight school was also hard if you hard zero game flight experience, but as a TRUE NERD who had played Microsoft Flight Simulator a bunch that was a breeze for me. However, all of the Zero missions were fucking awful.

That was the thing, they were crap, not just difficult. Having to shoot down those RC planes was bullshit, there was no skill involved just plain luck.

The flight school wasn't great either. There was one of those I found difficult and needed a bunch of goes at but they were mostly really boring and pointless considering you hardly do any flying in the game. By contrast, I loved the boat school.

• Paid Members

Anyone remember that show "Bad Influence" with some cheat man doing a poor impersonation of Ade Edmonson? Never has a show put over absolute shite. I remember one where they made out like the technology on that Dolphin game for the Mega Drive was step one in use having the ability to travel back in time.

7 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Anyone remember that show "Bad Influence" with some cheat man doing a poor impersonation of Ade Edmonson? Never has a show put over absolute shite. I remember one where they made out like the technology on that Dolphin game for the Mega Drive was step one in use having the ability to travel back in time.

Wasn't his name something like Nim Rod or Rim Job?

Violet was the only good thing about that show, it was the bullied little nerd compared to the cool bastard that was Gamesmaster.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

Violet was the only good thing about that show, it was the bullied little nerd compared to the cool bastard that was Gamesmaster.

Gamesmaster was genuinely the coolest thing on TV when we were kids. The warehouse years, not the Domonik Diamond on a greenscreen years when they'd had the budget cut.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Found out only the other day that Violet Berlin is married to Gaz Top :(

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Nam Rood (aka Doorman, as in back-door cheat codes. 'Cool', innit?

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Found out only the other day that Violet Berlin is married to Gaz Top :(

Even though I don’t possess an ounce of national pride I knew this and I attribute it to being Welsh. Anytime one of us does anything remotely impressive we all know about it.