Awful sections in otherwise fantastic videogames

RedRooster

• Paid Members

Any dream sequence, always stupid.  

Also, GTA: SA when you have to ride the motorbike into the plane, but my graphics card wasnt fast enough to do it so I had to spend £70 on a new one just to complete the fucker.

• Paid Members

The Mako in the first Mass Effect is a pain in the backside. Scanning the planets in 2 isn't much better. 

I detest the trippy “ alien stoned shooty” sequence in GTA V that you have to do with Michael. The constant having to turn around and focus, the shitty commentary by Michael, the fact it goes on for ages....the game is phenomenal apart from that. But that missing boils my piss. 

• Paid Members

The one thing I hated about FFVII was that annoying moment Cid became the leader. He was never part of my team (Normally Cloud, Red and Vincent) so when he became leader and you had to play with him he was grossly underpowered and one hell of a hindrance. Plus his running animation made me hate him even more.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, NorthSeaTiger said:

I detest the trippy “ alien stoned shooty” sequence in GTA V that you have to do with Michael. The constant having to turn around and focus, the shitty commentary by Michael, the fact it goes on for ages....the game is phenomenal apart from that. But that missing boils my piss. 

I can't remember that mission much, but I think it's Michael's version of the clown mini mission for Trevor- which was brilliant

Surprised there's been no mention of the Battle Toads games, although most of the whole thing was usually bloody hard!

Plenty I can think of on the SNES including,

- Second to last boss on Starfox/wing

- a fair few levels on Zombies Ate My Neighbours, I do have one in mind which I think was the 3rd castle level but can't remember

- The Cheese Bridge level on Super Mario World wasn't too difficult but getting to the secret end zone was an absolute nightmare.

- The Death Ray in Super Star Wars

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, simonworden said:

although most of the whole thing was usually bloody hard

It's not necessarily hard levels which are shit if the challenge if fun. I remember struggling with loads of levels or sections but those bits I mentioned before bored me into oblivion more than gave a challenge and couldn't be bypassed like some shit side missions or the eating or gym mini games I thought were boring in that game too. 

What always makes it worse IMO is a long dull easy section you have to slog through first over and over or a dull cut scene you can't skip you have to watch over and over. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, simonworden said:

The Cheese Bridge level on Super Mario World wasn't too difficult but getting to the secret end zone was an absolute nightmare

Is that the one where you have to fly UNDER the platform with the finish line? Yeah that was ridiculous. I managed it once when I was about 10.

• Paid Members

Wrong Side Of The Tracks is difficult if you do it the way it tells you to, but the beauty of San Andreas was that there's so many ways to do anything and all the game worries about is that you meet the objective. I know some people who'd already got a sniper rifle (despite Ammunation not being open yet) just sniped the train driver in the cab so the train stopped.

I eventually did it by speeding off on the bike without Smoke, going up to a bridge over the tracks, jumping off on to the top of the train, and shooting the targets from behind like a coward.

Just now, JNLister said:

Wrong Side Of The Tracks is difficult if you do it the way it tells you to, but the beauty of San Andreas was that there's so many ways to do anything and all the game worries about is that you meet the objective. I know some people who'd already got a sniper rifle (despite Ammunation not being open yet) just sniped the train driver in the cab so the train stopped.

I eventually did it by speeding off on the bike without Smoke, going up to a bridge over the tracks, jumping off on to the top of the train, and shooting the targets from behind like a coward.

Pier 69 was the mission, outside the first Zero one, that I always used to have trouble with.  It was where you had to sniper T-Bone's goons before they took out all of Wu Zi's men from the building opposite.  Always struggled with it on the PS2 ,killing them all in time, until finding out by accident that you can actually get up on the roof with them (leap off the roof of the building you're on, cross the road and then enter through a side door and you're up top).  From there it was straightforward.

The killing of Ryder to end that could also be tricky if you were to run out of ammo on the drive by, much easier way I found was to not swim after him and just sniper the boat he gets into from the pier.  I think you fire six or seven shots at the boat while Ryder's swimming towards it to damage it almost enough, then when he gets in it, sniper it again and it explodes.

I was never a huge gamer but I adored San Andreas.

I’ve had San Andreas ready to install for a few weeks now. All this talk of the shit hard missions reminds me why I never finished it, GTA 4 is the only other one I didn’t finish and that was more to do with having a baby at the time. I don’t remember which mission did it for me with San Andreas but the bike race down the mountain and a long ass drive in a truck to the boonies whilst listening to Johnny Cash and Hey Good Lookin’ comes to mind. 

I  had sweet delts’, bi’s  and tri’s mind.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The scarecrow dream sequences in Arkham Asylum were brilliantly executed.

Excellent exception to the rule.  Works because it fitted in with Scarecrows powers.